Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Arriving Somewhere/SCORE

I just ordered ARRIVING SOMEWHERE, the new DVD from Porcupine Tree.
    Anyone heard this ???

Also ordered the new Dream Theater DVD called SCORE: 20th Anniversary Tour Live....I'm told it includes an orchestra and kixbutt.......anyone heard this one yet ?

nope, i did hear another track of porcupine tree, it was really good.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Still waiting for my PT DVD - is it even out yet?

Score does kick butt - don't expect S&M or Therion or anything like that - it's a much more subtle and less obtrusive use of the orchestra.

Forum Regular

Pt - Dvd

==================================

Yup -- in stock at Amazon -- ordered mine this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    ==================================

Yup -- in stock at Amazon -- ordered mine this morning.

Hmmm....I'll have to harass my good friends at the music/dvd store I get all my stuff from when I get back on my feet next week. This Tuesday came and went and I didn't get a phone call. Anything else new this week worth checking out?

Cool. Something too look forward too.

I'm buying it at the show on friday.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I went into Future Shop today to buy the Score DVD and they didn't have it. They never even got it in!!!! I'll be downtown tomorrow, if I have time I'll stop into one of the flagship stores and pick it up. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to order it.

Same goes for PT, but I didn't expect Future Shop to carry the PT disk.

42 Regular
    I actually found one in the store yesterday. Played about 2/3 of it last night...but only on my second system, and in 2-channel. I'll have to finish the rest of it tonight.

First impression: Good performance (musically), good song selection (bordering on great). Not exactly the most dynamic stage presence out there, though. Steven Wilson, at times, seems as uncomfortable on-stage as a contestant on Rock Star about to be voted off. I have never seen such a talented guitarist look like he was playing air-guitar.

Video is OK, but too much faux grainy/B&W effects for my taste. Good to see them play live, though...these guys can really play.

But the STAR of the show and the one thing that makes this disc unquestionably worth it...is that goddamn drummer. He plays more like Neil Peart than Neil Peart does (these days). Really good stuff.

I would recommend this disc fairly highly for fans, but probably not for the curious.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    No, but I just saw them live the other night. Had a chance to get the DVD, but I had to save my money for some other releases that were there. I'll get the DVD later. If anyone is into vinyl, bring a lot of cash to the show.

Troy -- skip Fripp/Belew -- they sucked. The expression "treading water" comes to mind. If it was anyone else on the stage, they would have been booed off.

But don't miss a second of the PT show.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    No, but I just saw them live the other night. Had a chance to get the DVD, but I had to save my money for some other releases that were there. I'll get the DVD later. If anyone is into vinyl, bring a lot of cash to the show.

Troy -- skip Fripp/Belew -- they sucked. The expression "treading water" comes to mind. If it was anyone else on the stage, they would have been booed off.

But don't miss a second of the PT show.
    Why is Wilson allowing himself to get hamstrung by these lame opening acts.

Too bad about the Fripp Belew thing. Yeah, the potential is there for something really great.

Actually, the opener for the west coast dates is the Tony Levin Band featuring Larry Fast and Jerry Marotta. Basically most of the Peter Gabriel band from his first 3 albums. The live "Double Espresso" rocks, so I am expecting VERY good things from this band.

I hear it's sold out already (this band IS getting more popular, I don't care what others might say) so I have arranged to meet someone from another board who has an extra ticket. I hope THAT all works out ok . . .

Dave G mentioned to me in an e-mail that the DVD left him cold as well. I guess I'll have to lower my expectations . . .

I hear the whole first set is brand new material. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Why is Wilson allowing himself to get hamstrung by these lame opening acts.
    Maybe to make him look better?

Edit: or maybe he was thinking the same thing I was thinking: "It's Fripp and Belew! How can I not love anything they do? Heck, they could have Belew play drums and Fripp play stiff wanky noodles for 45 minutes and I'd eat it up."

Seriously, if someone doesn't fall flat on their face once in a while, that means they're not taking any chances -- and that, to me, is a bad thing. So at least they're still taking chances. I haven't blacklisted them yet.
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 10-11-2006 at 06:42 PM.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Actually, the opener for the west coast dates is the Tony Levin Band featuring Larry Fast and Jerry Marotta. Basically most of the Peter Gabriel band from his first 3 albums. The live "Double Espresso" rocks, so I am expecting VERY good things from this band.
    Cool! Yeah, I've seen them, they are wonderful live. Double Espresso is a good indication of what they're like.

Yeah, I think Fripp would have broken the fingers of the keyboardist himself, if it wasn't Belew playing some preprogrammed something with one of his drumsticks (yes, that's right, Belew on drums -- I've heard drum machines with more life).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Actually, the opener for the west coast dates is the Tony Levin Band!
    Who the hell is he?

Forum Regular

marketing 101

Why is Wilson allowing himself to get hamstrung by these lame opening acts ?
    ================================================== ======

It's the passing of the torch.
    New act wins over the old prog fan.
    Same reason Dream Theater jumped at the chance to open for Yes on that long tour two years ago......I saw it in action......and I saw it working.
    It's called "marketing" !

Great point....

Same reason Dream Theater jumped at the chance to open for Yes on that long tour two years ago......I saw it in action......and I saw it working.
    I saw that too, except it was the reverse, DT fans were giving the old guard their first real look...at one point Anderson cracked a joke thanking the people who stuck around for Yes. I think a lot of kids got a exposed to a whole new world of music that night. I love shows like that.
    Contrast that with some less natural combos - Dream Theater was noticeably out of place right after Fear Factory in Gigantour - and I was a little disappointed with how many people left before the closer Megadeth hit the stage right after.

Why is Wilson allowing himself to get hamstrung by these lame opening acts ?
    ================================================== ======

It's the passing of the torch.
    New act wins over the old prog fan.
    Oh I get that part, but Wilson did that last time they toured (again, with Fripp), from what Troy reported, Fripp sucked big hippo balls.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Oh I get that part, but Wilson did that last time they toured (again, with Fripp), from what Troy reported, Fripp sucked big hippo balls.
    Yeah, he did that soundscape stuff. It was really boring and wholy inappropriate as opener for a Porcupine Tree rockshow. The P6 thing with Belew tho, that was more of a rock thing, right? I mean, at least it had drums.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Since this is a PT thread, of sorts, I have a question. I think that this has been discussed before, but I'm asking anyway...

Has anyone heard the 5.1 DVD-A mix of Stupid Dream? I had it in my hands yesterday but it was $25. Before I spend that on a DVD-A (that I'm not even sure my current DVD player will play), I thought that I'd ask around to see whether it's worth it.

I also picked up both the DT and PT DVDs yesterday. I'm hoping to have time to view them this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Since this is a PT thread, of sorts, I have a question. I think that this has been discussed before, but I'm asking anyway...

Has anyone heard the 5.1 DVD-A mix of Stupid Dream? I had it in my hands yesterday but it was $25. Before I spend that on a DVD-A (that I'm not even sure my current DVD player will play), I thought that I'd ask around to see whether it's worth it.

I also picked up both the DT and PT DVDs yesterday. I'm hoping to have time to view them this weekend.
    I don't have Stupid Dream, but I have In Absentia - I find the 5.1 mix to be much, much more spacious, providing a more realistic imaging and soundstage - though some of the ambient cues are a bit weird - overall sound quality of even the DTS track I would argue is definitely better than traditional stereo. If Stupid Dream is the same, I'll jump on that one.

Forum Regular
    Get it, you won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Has anyone heard the 5.1 DVD-A mix of Stupid Dream?
    I have it, but I haven't listened to the surround mix -- my DVD-A player wasn't set up in the surround system at the time of purchase. It is now, I just forgot. Thanks for the reminder. I'll try 'n' listen to it this weekend.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Fripp sucked big hippo balls.
    ===========================
    That was funny, 3-lock.

Loved the Levin set. I've never seen the Fillmore be so crowded for an opening act. I was RIGHT in front of Fast and Levin. If I really stretched my arm out I could have touched the stage. Back in NYC was hilarious because the vox were pre-recorded! I looked at everyone in the band to see who was singing and no one was! By the third line I looked to Marrotta who was also looking around. We made eye contact and I laughed, he grinned sheepishly and started to sing. Or at least mouth the words. I love moments like that! Fast seemed really out of sync and kind of not really part of the band. Disinterested. A shame because his 70s Synergy output was really genius use of the technology of the times. I think things may have passed him by . . . Jesse Gress looks so much like Belew, it's almost uncanny. I really liked his playing, he took a lot of risks and unusual turns. Marrotta and Levin pretty much are the dream rhythm section. Great band overall, lots of interesting covers (Saber Dance just KILLED, a real showstopper) and tight musicianship. Colorful and rich. I'd see them do a full headliner set in a heartbeat.

PT had lots of technical difficulties. Wilson's amp died during the second song. The show ground to a halt and things looked bad. Eventually Wilson sent the crew to the bus and got an extra amp. I marvelled at how patient the crowd was while we waited for about 20 minutes for the crew/band to effect repairs. We got some special treatment with SW doing a couple of acoustic songs (Even Less was real nice) while they worked, so it was kinda OK. There was a crackle out of the right side of the PA that developed late in the first set that was ugly and distracting.

The new material set: Heavy, yet spacy and atmospheric. More keyboards than usual. I do think the equipment problems threw them off a little in the first set. I felt kinda lost and uninvolved a few times. Springing all that new material, especially 20 minute epics, on virgin ears like that takes big balls. Without a doubt, Wilson's got 'em, but justifyably so. This new material really worked for the most part, even on first blush like this. The next album should be great.

The second set was all In Absentia and Deadwing material. They were tight as hell and the crowd totally got off. What else do you need to say? Also of note was that the entire band all threw pink stuffed unicorn dolls at Wilson at the end of the last song, no doubt making fun of how dark his music and projected personna appears. In the 6 times I've seen the band I don't think I've ever seen him grin so wide. The were all cracking up. Obviously it was a deep inside joke for them.

That damn DVD was $30! That's the same one I can get at Best Buy for $15, right?

Watched the DVD this weekend. One of my favorite bands these days, never seen the live yet though.
    Must say, as far as DVD's go, this one was a bit disappointing. The performance was solid and the sound quality as good as I've come to expect from most DVD concerts, but the overall energy level of the performance seemed a bit uninspired. Wilson gave me the impression for most of the show he didn't want to be there, but warmed up a bit towards the end. The rest of the band looked like robots.

I dunno, maybe it was the crowd or venue or camera angles or something, but of all the music DVD's I've bought, this is the only one that lacked a lot of raw enthusiasm and that intangible energetic quality that makes watching a concert DVD more than just paying for music you already own twice.

Not bad, but really all that good either, which is totally the opposite of what I've come to expect from these guys. If wasn't a huge fan of the music I might be a bit meaner here. I hope this isn't typical of their live shows. He's either way to serious for the quality of music he's making, or trying way to hard not come across as too enthusiastic. Either way...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information