• Doves

7 53.85%

March Music Madness: Gomez vs. Doves

Please vote for your more favorite between: Gomez & Doves

OK, I'll break the awkward silence...

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    Wow!
    This is a pretty close call for me. They're both 2nd tier new bands for me. I like both, don't love them, have 2 albums from each band, but I chose Doves because Cedar Room is the best song by either, and nothing from Gomez approches it's brilliance (IMHO).

On a side note Rick, the match-ups this year have been inspired, especially Joy Division/Nirvana. i was disappointed by the outcome, but what can you do.

Keep up the good work.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

I want to like Gomez, but I'm not a big fan of their style. So, the Doves win my vote.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

The newest Joy Division fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    This is a pretty close call for me. They're both 2nd tier new bands for me. I like both, don't love them, have 2 albums from each band, but I chose Doves because Cedar Room is the best song by either, and nothing from Gomez approches it's brilliance (IMHO).

On a side note Rick, the match-ups this year have been inspired, especially Joy Division/Nirvana. i was disappointed by the outcome, but what can you do.

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks Mark. I guess I would have expected Doves to take this one, but seeing 6-1 earlier was a bit shocking. Looks like things are leveling off now though.

Speaking of Joy Division, I just received Permanent over the weekend, and gave it a first spin today. Like I said in the JD/Nirvana post, I wasn't very familiar with JD, but I thought that some of these tunes would sound familiar after hearing them, but no, I can't say I remember any of these songs. I don't know what kind of induced stupor I was in back when this stuff was new, but I must have totally missed the JD boat! So far wrt Permanent, there wasn't anything that I didn't like on first listen, and a few standouts (obviously Love Will Tear Us Apart, plus; Day of the Lords & Atmosphere). Very cool stuff, I almost wish now that I hadn't opted for a greatest hits.

Thanks Mark. I guess I would have expected Doves to take this one, but seeing 6-1 earlier was a bit shocking. Looks like things are leveling off now though.

Speaking of Joy Division, I just received Permanent over the weekend, and gave it a first spin today. Like I said in the JD/Nirvana post, I wasn't very familiar with JD, but I thought that some of these tunes would sound familiar after hearing them, but no, I can't say I remember any of these songs. I don't know what kind of induced stupor I was in back when this stuff was new, but I must have totally missed the JD boat! So far wrt Permanent, there wasn't anything that I didn't like on first listen, and a few standouts (obviously Love Will Tear Us Apart, plus; Day of the Lords & Atmosphere). Very cool stuff, I almost wish now that I hadn't opted for a greatest hits.
    The nice thing about the greatest hits, is unless you get an expanded edition of either of the regular releases, and I don't teven think expanded editions exist, you wouldn't get such JD "hits" as LWTUA, Atmosphere, Transmission and Dead Souls which were all singles and not released on the albums. If Permanent sticks I would definitely get Closer, it is the album that made JDs legend and it probably has fewer tracks represented on any G-Hits collection...but be warned, it is not a Sunday morning sunshine album.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

I first heard JD in the fall of '88.. I guess at that time, even 8 years after their 'end' - not many folks in the US had heard Joy Division. We listened to SUBSTANCE in a darkened, smoky, incense-filled (sandalwood will always smell like Joy Division to me) dorm room and I was completely captivated. I hadn't heard music like this before, didn't know it existed (though I had heard the name of the band before and I had seen the album cover for UNKNOWN PLEASURES on various import catalogs I had dealing with other indie music).. I had probably assumed they were "new wave" - something like Soft Cell or Human Leaugue.. but hadn't really given it much thought. Though I was well aware of music like Husker Du and Sonic Youth, I really didn't know anything about the British post-punk bands. Soon after I *really* heard the Cure for the first time (again, I just thought they were some new wave band, didn't really seem like something I would like).. in a similar setting we listened to 17 SECONDS and again, I was blown away.. I hadn't ever heard guitar playing quite like it and it was hypnotic and mesmerising.. And the thing about JD and the Cure.. they were so immediate. It took weeks if not months for albums like Husker Du's NEW DAY RISING and Sonic Youth's EVOL to really set in..

Sometimes I think I spent the next 10 years of my life trying to relive the feelings I got listening to Joy Division and New Order and the Smiths and the Cure for the first times.. it was never quite the same.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Thread Information