View Poll Results: which is your more favorite band?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wilco

12 75.00%
  • The Flaming Lips

4 25.00%

March Music Madness: Wilco vs. The Flaming Lips

semi-final match # 2:
    Please vote on your more favorite artist between Wilco and The Flaming Lips.

Rules are loose with March Music Madness, but the idea is to choose the band (or artist) you enjoy more, rather than which band is “greater”, or more influencial, etc.

thank you.

notes:

Justifying your vote is not required, but....in the event of a tie, winning band will be determined by the voter who posts the best justification (explanation) as to why they like the band they voted for (or why they don't like the other band).

Status (to vote on another match, select the match # below):
    Previous winners of elimination matches (Yes, Flaming Lips, Wilco, Talking Heads, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Marley, AC/DC and Prince) will face off two at a time and winners will move into the “final 4” round.

semi-final match 1(in progress): Fleetwood Mac (8) makes a strong showing, but Yes (10) leads
    semi-final match 2 (in progress): Wilco vs. The Flaming Lips
    semi-final match 3 (tba):
    semi-final match 4 (tba):

Yoshimi gets my vote

I'm not a huge fan of either band , however I think Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is a great album. It's hard to tell how long an album will remain a favorite, but I have a feeling I'll still be listening to, and ejoying, YBtPR for years to come. Based on this one album, The Lips get my vote in this match.

The extent of my listening experience with Wilco is Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Both albums have some nice tunes (as well as some boring ones), but nothing by them has ever truly gotten under my skin.

I vote for Bob Dylan.

Just kidding. I like the Lips, and I don't like Wilco all that much more, but I have to vote for Wilco based on how much they were influenced by the Replacements. This influence is heard on A.M. & Being There, not so much on Summerteeth or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. But, sadly, I don't see either band as being the sort of outfit that consistnently produces great songs. Wilco was close to that, for me, prior to Summerteeth, but they've lost me a bit over the past few years. As for the Lips--some great stuff, some filler. But as great as the great stuff is, Wilco is just more in the ballpark when it comes to what I like.

I don't like others.

Forum Regular
    For me, Wilco needs a special time and place for me to appreciate, but I can get there. But I just can't get into the Lips. I tried very hard with The Soft Bulletin, and still try every few months or so, but can't get through it.

It hurts..

It would hurt to vote against Wilco.. I've been with Jeff as a fan from the first Uncle Tupelo album and their tour opening for Teenage Fanclub..

However.. I've been with the Lips longer, from their 1989 psychedelic freak rock opus TELEPATHIC SURGERY.. and I've seen them totally destroy live..

Wayne and the boys get my vote.

However, today, in 2004, I think that Wilco is, in many aspects, the better band. FWIW. (unless the Lips totally shock me with their next album..)

The odd thing is, any of the Lips' Warner Bros albums were way weirder than YANKEE turned out to be.. It still boggles me that Wilco had the problems with it that they did..

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

dld
    Forum Regular
    Crap, another toughie. Love em both. Wilco gets my vote tho. No particular reason. I guess the near genius of YHF and the sh** they went thru getting it made, plus that great DVD that came our shortly after gives them the edge IMHO.

Flaming Lips' music doesn't need accompanying videos but dammit, if they're gonna do videos, please do them better than the ones that are on the Yoshima DVD-A. Geeez

NP-Y***'s Raw Soul Comp
    Do I have to spell it out?

C---H---E---E----S----E

A--N--D

O---N---I---O---N---S

Oh No

42 Regular
    I knew -Jar- would have much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth over this match-up! (How ya doin', Mason? I finally made an all-Jar comp the other day; it's not bad)

Much easier choice for me: Wilco. Not that there's anything wrong wif da Lips...but I'm really digging Wilco these days. This morning, I can't get the song "Shot in the Arm" out of my head.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Wilco was the easy choice for me.

I like them both, but Wilco much more. I've been following them much longer and have all their records, while I just started listening to the lips shortly after Soft Bulletin was released. Again, this is no slight to FL, I just like Wilco quite a bit more.

Swishy Washy
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Thread Information