Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    nightflier
    Dusty,

Are you saying that the DT770s are better for bass?

I was just about to buy the DT880s, when I read your post.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Yeah, if you want bass, then get the DT770's. There's more and it goes deeper.

But it's not as well balanced in the mids and highs. The DT880 is a better headphone overall.

I would recommend you get one or the other from a place that will take a return (like perhaps Headroom) -- then get both and return the one you like less.

I'd also recommend trying to find the more recent version of the headphone, which is slightly better (especially the DT880 -- I haven't heard the more recent version of the DT770).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

nightflier
    Dusty,

Apparently there is an '06 model of the DT880 (sold for $199 to as high as $359), which has deeper bass. How can I tell which one's which? Is there a different model/version # I should look for?

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Apparently there is an '06 model of the DT880 (sold for $199 to as high as $359), which has deeper bass. How can I tell which one's which? Is there a different model/version # I should look for?
    Yeah, that's what I meant by the more recent version.

I don't know. It is my understanding that they look slightly different, but unless I had both in front of me, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell. I'd make sure that whomever you bought it from specified. Or that you trusted them enough that if you asked and they told you, that you'd believe them.

I'm waiting until I got a couple hundred saved up, then I'm going to buy an all-black one directly from the Beyer site (the one with the custom colours -- "Manufactory" or something like that) -- I know they have the new ones.

I would suspect that budget places like OneCall and Buy.com will be selling the remainders of the older model.

BTW, the older model was pretty good, too. But definitely make sure you get the newer one, there's something special about that one -- it's definitely more refined.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

nightflier
    OK, here's what I have on order:

- AKG K701 ($335 ProAudio Store)
    - Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE ($200 eBay)

I'm going to try and borrow a pair of Sennheiser HD650's from a friend. Dusty, I know you highly recommended the Beyerdynamics, but there were several things I did not like such as the non-removable coiled cord and the fact that I can't get an amp that will drive them adequately at a decent price. Even the techs at Headroom said that their Microamp would not be enough. I already have the Grado amp and I think it should be adequate to compare these two phones (although I know the Senns will have trouble with it, but those won't cost me anything to hear them, at least).

Another way to hear headphones is to lurk on Head-Fi, and wait for a meet in your area, then invite yourself to the meet.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

nightflier

Lurk on Head-Fi?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Another way to hear headphones is to lurk on Head-Fi, and wait for a meet in your area, then invite yourself to the meet.
    Can you elaborate?

nightflier
    Well, the Ultrasones still have not arrived. This is what I get for buying from a questionable source. The K701, however are incredible. A little weak on the bass, but that may be my Grado amp and the fact that they are not burned in yet (they want 200 hours, who's got that kind of time? ...not to mention the fact that I have to leave my stereo on that long).

For the amp, a friend of mine wants to trade my Grado S325i for a Creek OBH-11SE amp. Is that a good value? I had a Creek 21 (not SE) a while back and really liked it.

I really like the OBH-11SE (I own one). It's a great all-rounder. Can pretty much drive anything. And yes, I think it would be a step up from your Grado. I don't know what the S325i is worth, so don't know if that's a good trade, but strikes me as fair.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information