Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    This'll be a slow story methinks. 1-in-10 shot of a team landing him at the deadline.
    The cap hit for taking him next year is substantially less because of some weird CBA rules.

Plus he's gonna have to ride the bus in the iron-lung league (AHL) for awhile to prove he can avoid the bad spotlight before anyone gives him a shot in the show again. Unless the Cowboys want him?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I feel a sig-bet coming on...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I feel a sig-bet coming on...
    Name your terms Stick-man.

Hhhmmm.

Well, I'm inclined to think you're right about the money issue. The teams that could possibly afford him aren't really contending so it makes no difference.

The problem for me is that Dallas is actually playing well, and so, not nearly as desperate as I'd like them. It's too early to declare definitively but if they're looking close in a few weeks I can still see my original proposition between the Stars and the Rangers taking place...

...but it's too risky for something as serious as a sigbet...but I know I gotta give you a little juice too, so I'll fall back to the Michael Vick theory that he'll spend little time in the minors 'cause nobody really cares about athlete's morals despite what the media says.

Avery skates training camp 09/10 and sticks in the big show from day one.

Yay or nay?

Hhhmmm.

Yay or nay?
    A BIG F!!CKIN' NAY, or a least I hope so.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    A BIG F!!CKIN' NAY, or a least I hope so.
    Don't mess with me BueManChu...these are serious discussions for serious times...the fate of all women and Gary Buttman's twelve year old daughter is in the offing...

Plus it's the first recorded AR sigbet...dude...ssshhhh.

Hhhmmm.

Well, I'm inclined to think you're right about the money issue. The teams that could possibly afford him aren't really contending so it makes no difference.

The problem for me is that Dallas is actually playing well, and so, not nearly as desperate as I'd like them. It's too early to declare definitively but if they're looking close in a few weeks I can still see my original proposition between the Stars and the Rangers taking place...

...but it's too risky for something as serious as a sigbet...but I know I gotta give you a little juice too, so I'll fall back to the Michael Vick theory that he'll spend little time in the minors 'cause nobody really cares about athlete's morals despite what the media says.

Yay or nay?
    I said 1-in-10 at the deadline, not next year. I'm inclined to believe he will be in the NHL next season for a few reasons, the cap hit softening obviously, and short-span in the AHL to show the world he's "changed". Plus teams will have a summer to forget about him a little. That's why I said it would be slow, not non-existant.

This year is almost impossible - he wouldn't be traded. It will be a re-entry waiver claim to cut his 4 M/yr salary in half for the buying team - 3 years left makes him too expensive for a waiver chance for a playoff run. He is still expensive at that price, but far more attractive to teams desperately seeking grit. Except no playoff team is rolling the dice with his destructive potential with Chris Neil out there available for less, and no 3 year deal attached. So not this year. He could be a Dallas Star next year to start off, sent down to the minors and recalled to cut his salary in half next season, too, hoping a team claims him. But I could see him being bought out or traded to another team, the idea being the other team sends a contract they want off their books back to Dallas and Dallas tries getting some value out of it.

I doubt the Rangers will take him back after the stuff with Lundqvist and the local media there, but Sather has let me down in the past. Still I would take the bet it won't be the Rangers.

The NHL is far less forgiving typically than other sports. Ray Emery is still in Russia, and Avery makes him look like Ron Francis.

Avery will play NHL hockey again. Todd Bertuzzi proves that. But not this season.

(though I've been wrong before)

Fair enough, you did say that...but this isn't over. Before all is said and done you'll be sportin' some grotesque Sticksean wisdom.

Oh yes, it's true.

Fair enough, you did say that...but this isn't over. Before all is said and done you'll be sportin' some grotesque Sticksean wisdom.

Oh yes, it's true.

That's okay, I look good in anything...

Oh yes, it's true.
    Hmmm....we may have to get ol' Swishy involved and do a box pool or something in the playoffs....

Did Kex just dodge a bolt of lightning?

The New York Rangers are considering bringing Dallas Stars forward Sean Avery back to the team, reports the New York Post.

According to the newspaper, the Rangers held discussions involving the front office, coaching staff and players to determine if the move would be beneficial.

Prior to Avery's time in Dallas he played one and a half seasons for the Rangers. He signed with the Stars as a free agent this past off-season.

The Rangers are currently in Dallas for a Friday night contest with the Stars. According to the Post, Rangers general manager Glen Sather is expected to talk to Stars co-general manager Les Jackson about the move.

If the move were to be made, the Stars and Rangers would need to work out a plan that would see Avery placed on waivers and then, if he cleared, assigned to the Rangers' American Hockey League affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack.

Before the forward could be accepted by the Wolf Pack off waivers, the two teams would need to reach an agreement to place him on re-entry waivers that would see the Rangers get Avery.

According to the New York Post, the Rangers would then pay half the cost of his remaining contract (four-year, $15.5 million). New York would pay a pro-rated percentage of his 2008-09 salary starting from the day Avery joined the team this season. They would be responsible for $1,937,500 in both salary and cap charges over the following three seasons.

The entire process would need to be completed by the NHL's trade deadline on March 4th for Avery to be available to the Rangers for the playoffs.

While the Wolf Pack would be willing to take Avery, the Manitoba Moose, with whom the Stars have an AHL-NHL loan agreement, would not.

Mark Chipman, owner of the Moose, says the Stars have not inquired to see if the team would accept Avery.

"We haven't discussed it because it's not something we're thinking about," Chipman told TSN.

Avery was suspended for six games by the NHL due to inappropriate comments he made back in November. He has not played since that time and has been in the NHL/NHLPA behavioral health program.

He is expected to be cleared from the program later this week or sometime early next.
    I saw Sather interviewed that week Avery pulled this stunt - he said then the Rangers wouldn't bring him back, and the word around the league was the NHL (offices in NY) didn't want him in that city....

But here's the Sather factor I eluded to earlier. He is a creature of habit who will bring back players that worked out before, even if there's no evidence it will work again....

The NY Post is the laughing stock of hockey media up here in Canada mostly because of Brooks, and the fact they fabricate stories more than every other outfit put together...but the part about the Moose makes sense - they might be holding out for some player compensation just to take Avery (which could benefit Vancouver)...the plot thickens...

I don't believe it, but suddenly I'm not nearly as sure as I was 16 hrs ago...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc

I don't believe it, but suddenly I'm not nearly as sure as I was 16 hrs ago...

Hehehe...Happy learned how to putt, uh-oh!

Suspended
    Uhhh.. My Dallas Stars absolutely PUMMELLED the Rangers tonite... 10 to 2.
    How sad it must be right now to be a Rangers fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Uhhh.. My Dallas Stars absolutely PUMMELLED the Rangers tonite... 10 to 2.
    How sad it must be right now to be a Rangers fan.
    Your Dallas Stars?

You're a hockey fan? Glad you didn't leave all your better senses north when you moved south.

Ironically, the team that improved by epic proportions since removing the Avery-infestation laid a beating on the team that wants him...

Dallas is going to be interesting to watch - despite some bad injuries, including losing their captain, heart, and soul in Morrow, they've been one of the best teams in hockey the last while...Turco is playing like Turco again. They might be a big buyer at the deadline, and depending what moves they make, could really make it interesting in the 1st round of the playoffs. Turco can win a series himself and saves his best for the playoffs. Richards is starting to heat up.

To be honest, I just made that prediction based on some guesswork and reasoning--if'n I'da called somebody and got even tentative confirmation I wouldn't have let you off the mat.

Sather can seem inconsistent but if there's one thing that can be said about Ranger's management it's that they're both sensitive and reactive to the fans. Hence the reason they have the most rabidly loyal fans out there. They love Avery in New York, I mean they can't get enough of him.

Looking at Dallas, yes it's true that they're coming together and, indeed, playing well. That said, with Zubov perpetually on the outs and the relative inconsistency of the forwards, I'd say they have some needs too.

Look for Redden and Dubinsky and maybe some fodder from Hartford for Avery and a pick.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Your Dallas Stars?
    Well, the house announcer says: "...YOUR DALLAS STARS!!!..." and I'm sure he's talking to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    You're a hockey fan? Glad you didn't leave all your better senses north when you moved south.
    I was a dyed-in-the-wool Flyers fan from way back in the 70's (before you and sticks were probably even born ) but my interest waned for a few years when I started going to NASCAR races which then became my sport of interest, but ever since the Stars won the Cup a few years back, I've brought the sport back into the fold, so to speak. I also used to play street hockey when I was a kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kex
    Ironically, the team that improved by epic proportions since removing the Avery-infestation laid a beating on the team that wants him...
    I wish I had watched that game (pre-occupied with some dame I met) because for as long as I can breathe I'll ALWAYS hate the Rangers... and the Devils... and the Islanders... and the Capitals.

Dallas is going to be interesting to watch - despite some bad injuries, including losing their captain, heart, and soul in Morrow, they've been one of the best teams in hockey the last while...Turco is playing like Turco again. They might be a big buyer at the deadline, and depending what moves they make, could really make it interesting in the 1st round of the playoffs. Turco can win a series himself and saves his best for the playoffs. Richards is starting to heat up.
    Yes they are, and yes I will.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    pre-occupied with some dame I met...
    Attaboy!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Attaboy!
    Don't get too excited. He meant:

Suspended
    I don't get it, but I don't speak French either.

here's the thing about the Flyers...

I'd like to call your attention to post #67 and the next few as well...what?...who said what?...Kex said....

hehehe

here's the thing about the Flyers...

I'd like to call your attention to post #67 and the next few as well...what?...who said what?...Kex said....

hehehe
    It looks grim for Kex's 176-0 NHL prediction record...Thank heaven Kex hedged himself out of a sig bet. How's that for risk management?

Suspended
    Dallas is going to be interesting to watch...
    Well, they weren't interesting to watch last night. Shut out 1 - zip.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Well, they weren't interesting to watch last night. Shut out 1 - zip.
    You think you've got problems? On Tuesday, the Leafs were up 4-1 with about 12 minutes left in the third period and they lost in overtime!!!

I never thought I'd say it, but I'm losing faith.

Suspended
    I lost Faith too. She was my first true love.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information