Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The Flyers have salary cap issues and have to make...

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I still think you need Sugar. Riley's a warrior and a gamer but he's lost every scrap this year...watch the change-up at 53 seconds...that's what I'm talkembout.
    ...a decision soon when a Randy Jones and Ryan Parent come off the DL. They sure want Jones back but don't have the cap room for him, so a trade could be in the works. I expect Parent to be send down to the Phantoms, along with Kukkonen. I hope they don't get rid of that kid Sbisa. He's playing very well for an 18 year old and could be great in a couple years. The cap is the issue though, and signing free agents isn't going to happen.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Are you still convinced?

Iyou know how much it pains me to say this, Cindy's Pens seem like the real deal.
    Flyers ripped them a new one and took over 2nd place with a 6-3 victory.

Oh yeah baby.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Re: The Flyers

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Are you still convinced?

Oh yeah baby.

Swish
    Hey, I'm with you. The enemy of my enemy is my friend...I got no use for Cindy and company.

And, I don't see many teams in the East that can compete with them when they're firing on all cylinders. Certainly not the Rangers or Montreal. Maybe Boston.

The problem is that no matter what happens they gotta look to the West which has at least four teams that would give them problems.

Lotta games left though...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hey, I'm with you. The enemy of my enemy is my friend...I got no use for Cindy and company.

And, I don't see many teams in the East that can compete with them when they're firing on all cylinders. Certainly not the Rangers or Montreal. Maybe Boston.

The problem is that no matter what happens they gotta look to the West which has at least four teams that would give them problems.

Lotta games left though...
    Regular season is regular season, and Playoffs is Playoffs.

When the it's all on the line this spring I expect the Bruins, Rangers and Habs, and maybe the Devils who are quietly playing spectacular without the greatest goalie in hockey history in the lineup, to easily give the Flyers a run for their money. It's tight this year in the East, really tight, and the conference isn't getting the respect it deserves.

Teams with great goalies find a way to win in the playoffs, teams with good goalies find a way to lose. Once every 3 or 4 years guys like Fleury and Osgood pull a Bill Ranford and win anyway but more often than not...

The Rangers have had their share of injuries and somehow have used the shootout to keep at the top of the race. I suspect they will make the biggest splash trade wise this year to try and put a run together in May.

But yeah, Tim Thomas and the Bruins look to be the class of the East so far. Phil Kessel has arrived...Zdeno Chara is beast, and Tim Thomas is the sloppiest, ugliest looking awesome goalie I've seen dominate the NHL in some time. Hasek's flopping had nothing on this guy...what a treat to watch.

As for the Flyers, I still dont' think they're a legit top 4 threat this year, but they're good enough to pull off an upset and make the finals if a few bounces go their way, they're close. But I feel they, and Washington, are best positioned in the East conference to make a few runs for the next 3-5 years after this season.
    The age ol' question in Philly remains, do they have the goaltending to get the job done?
    I'm a big Biron fan, but I think their future is going to have to be with someone else unless their D all of sudden all play way above their heads. Who knows though, Biron could pull a Cam Ward and get hot for a month when it counts the most.

The Rangers have also played 4 more games than Philly...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Regular season is regular season, and Playoffs is Playoffs.

When the it's all on the line this spring I expect the Bruins, Rangers and Habs, and maybe the Devils who are quietly playing spectacular without the greatest goalie in hockey history in the lineup, to easily give the Flyers a run for their money. It's tight this year in the East, really tight, and the conference isn't getting the respect it deserves.

Teams with great goalies find a way to win in the playoffs, teams with good goalies find a way to lose. Once every 3 or 4 years guys like Fleury and Osgood pull a Bill Ranford and win anyway but more often than not...

The Rangers have had their share of injuries and somehow have used the shootout to keep at the top of the race. I suspect they will make the biggest splash trade wise this year to try and put a run together in May.

But yeah, Tim Thomas and the Bruins look to be the class of the East so far. Phil Kessel has arrived...Zdeno Chara is beast, and Tim Thomas is the sloppiest, ugliest looking awesome goalie I've seen dominate the NHL in some time. Hasek's flopping had nothing on this guy...what a treat to watch.

As for the Flyers, I still dont' think they're a legit top 4 threat this year, but they're good enough to pull off an upset and make the finals if a few bounces go their way, they're close. But I feel they, and Washington, are best positioned in the East conference to make a few runs for the next 3-5 years after this season.
    The age ol' question in Philly remains, do they have the goaltending to get the job done?
    I'm a big Biron fan, but I think their future is going to have to be with someone else unless their D all of sudden all play way above their heads. Who knows though, Biron could pull a Cam Ward and get hot for a month when it counts the most.
    ...so it's only a matter of time until the Flyers are in first if they keep winning at this pace. And I don't want to hear about injuries. The Flyers have had more than their share, especially with Gagne, who's missed the early part of the season and is now on a tear, Briere, and three defensemen; Hatcher, Jones, and Parent.They basically still have a new defense that is only starting to gel, and should get better when Jones and Parent can go, although they have salary cap issues and may need to make a trade. They've also had 12 overtime games already, which is way too many, and lost 2 out of three shoot-outs, but things are starting to turn and I think they'll go deep in the playoffs this year. Again.

Swish

...so it's only a matter of time until the Flyers are in first if they keep winning at this pace. And I don't want to hear about injuries. The Flyers have had more than their share, especially with Gagne, who's missed the early part of the season and is now on a tear, Briere, and three defensemen; Hatcher, Jones, and Parent.They basically still have a new defense that is only starting to gel, and should get better when Jones and Parent can go, although they have salary cap issues and may need to make a trade. They've also had 12 overtime games already, which is way too many, and lost 2 out of three shoot-outs, but things are starting to turn and I think they'll go deep in the playoffs this year. Again.

Swish
    I would think anything less than a strong 2nd round showing would be considered an utter failure for the Flyers this year. Historically the top seed in the East has been the kiss of death at playoff time so maybe they don't want to finish first. Fly in at 2nd or 3rd and avoid some extra pressure.

They'll knock of someone in the first round. I think they match up well vs the Sabres if they can somehow swing that one - it would be a short series, not many bruisers on the Sabres, so they should escape uninjured and ready for Round 2. Avoid the Caps, Devils, and Bruins, who would each take a pound of flesh out of them if not beat them. Rotten teams to draw in the 1st round. You hope 2 of them draw each other.

To be honest, take out shootout heroics the Rangers have enjoyed (which don't exist in the playoffs) and the Flyers have easily outperformed the Rangers so far IMO...they've been underachieving big time, which probably should have been expected, in hindsight. But I suspect by April we'll have forgotten about what we've seen teams do in October-December. The Rangers have the pieces if they can only start playing like a team instead of a bunch of individuals. That's up to them though. If they don't get it together they'll be my upset pick. Again. Drury and Naslund are good characters though, and no team in hockey made as many changes this off-season as the Rangers so for them to be where they are as a mostly new, considerably different team is still somewhat impressive. If we can assume the first 20-30 games was an adjustment period for them, we should expect a stronger performance the rest fo the way.

Yeah, the Flyers have had their share of the injury bug for sure. They've finally got the character to play through them though. Injuries are part of hockey, you just hope they don't bite you in the playoffs. Except the nonsense the Capitals have had to endure this year that's just getting sick...

I would think anything less than a strong 2nd round showing would be considered an utter failure for the Flyers this year. Historically the top seed in the East has been the kiss of death at playoff time so maybe they don't want to finish first. Fly in at 2nd or 3rd and avoid some extra pressure...
    ...and you really don't wanna win the President's Trophy. That's more "kiss of death" than George Lynch with the J. Frog.

Speaking of pressure-less 2nd or 3rd, anybody watchin' the B-Hawks as of late? Second in the Central I know, but that's behind a rather dominating Detroit team.Thirteen minutes and change left and they're up 8 to 1...dear lord, I think Ben Eager might get the Gordie Howe hat-trick. This is a talented group of kids that are exciting to watch.

Doubt the "Bhulin Wall" will take 'em far in the playoffs but I'm just sayin'...

...and you really don't wanna win the President's Trophy. That's more "kiss of death" than George Lynch with the J. Frog.

Speaking of pressure-less 2nd or 3rd, anybody watchin' the B-Hawks as of late? Second in the Central I know, but that's behind a rather dominating Detroit team.Thirteen minutes and change left and they're up 8 to 1...dear lord, I think Ben Eager might get the Gordie Howe hat-trick. This is a talented group of kids that are exciting to watch.

Doubt the "Bhulin Wall" will take 'em far in the playoffs but I'm just sayin'...
    The Blackhawks and Bruins are helping to get me through this year along with Jeff Carter and a handful of other players while my Senators try to get by with 3 NHL players and supporting cast of not-ready prospects AHL call-ups and pro cast offs. Bru-tal. I like their odds of winning the Tavares lottery this year though and they have a handful of very good young prospects for the first time in a decade that should be ready in 2-3 years...rough times until then.

Nik Khabibulin and Super Huet are at least as good in net as 25 other teams have this year so unless they play NJ or NYR in the finals or Vancouver early on, goaltending won't be the issue. Youth might be. But damn Toews and Kane and Versrteeg and all those years of being so terrible are paying off. My uncle lives in Palatine, IL, scored tickets to the Winter Classic and I'm shamelessly trying to guilt him in to taking me...ain't looking good.

San Jose is going to be a great story one way or another - the ultimate redeeming victory, or most epic defeat. No pressure, Joe.

Anyway, I could think of nothing better for hockey than to see a Chicago/Boston Stanley Cup final this year...exciting teams, traditionally strong markets, Original Six to boot...if that don't give ya chills...

San Jose is going to be a great story one way or another - the ultimate redeeming victory, or most epic defeat. No pressure, Geno....
    fixed.

Anyway, I could think of nothing better for hockey than to see a Chicago/Boston Stanley Cup final this year...exciting teams, traditionally strong markets, Original Six to boot...if that don't give ya chills...
    I agree with this...man, do I agree with this. I'll be thrashin' the glass at the United. I'll even make sure to send you some type of Cup merchandise and even have yer boy Alexandre Daigle autograph it. I think he's an usher there.

Geez, kick a guy when he's down...

fixed.

I agree with this...man, do I agree with this. I'll be thrashin' the glass at the United. I'll even make sure to send you some type of Cup merchandise and even have yer boy Alexandre Daigle autograph it. I think he's an usher there.
    You really went there, huh? Daigle...sigh. Funny thing, he was the unanimous #1 pick among 24 teams that year, had a few great years on some of the worst teams in NHL history with no help, got traded to Philly and went down hill from there...though he did return and lead the Wild in scoring 3 years ago or so...now he's making movies in Hollywood while skating for the Industrial Park Beer League. The same team also found Demitra in the 9th round of the draft that year and traded him away for a new Coke machine and 31"ers for the zamboni.

True story: dude has issues. I met him once, sort of...he was sitting on his mother's lap. Not a flattering shot of an NHL player...Weird. He signed my jersey though...

He wasn't anywhere near the biggest bust of the last decade or so though...Patrick Stefan and Pavel Brendl have him licked...Carlo Colaiacovo and every other single Leaf draft pick before Luke Schenn have to be up there...

Some of you know my favorite NFL team is San Diego...I'm waiting for this to hit BluRay...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3738697

True story: dude has issues. I met him once, sort of...he was sitting on his mother's lap. Not a flattering shot of an NHL player...Weird. He signed my jersey though...

Not surprising. I don't think he ever recovered from the time spent with Pamela Anderson...I heard when he has blood drawn they take it to the lab in a lead bag. My buddy Jacko was considered a bit of a bust, maybe more of a disciplinary problem actually, but even he made it in the Swedish leagues...

...and speaking of Scandinavia, the Bruins looked mighty impressive tonight against the Leafs who were clearly still reeling from the Mats Sundin sendoff party... which was complete with Tjord Gustavson albums, Norwegian Reindeer Meat hor d'oeuvres and boisenberry Kool-Aid...that's what I heard anyway

Sharks made a big statement and it's been kinda quiet from the OP so I'm assuming he watched the Hairy Girls whoop up on the Flyboys.

Yeah I watched that Detroit game. The Sharks looked gassed in the pre-game skate. I think I saw one puke during the anthem.

You gotta wonder about the league when they know 2 big draws likely to be leading the conference at this time of the year play each other, one team has 3 days rest between games, the other plays it's 3rd on the road in 4 nights, 5th in a week? Wasn't much of a marquis matchup. Series tied at 1 each, this could be the conference final...My money is on SJ choking yet again...which means they'll probably finally win.

Well, if you had actually watched the game...

Not surprising. I don't think he ever recovered from the time spent with Pamela Anderson...I heard when he has blood drawn they take it to the lab in a lead bag. My buddy Jacko was considered a bit of a bust, maybe more of a disciplinary problem actually, but even he made it in the Swedish leagues...

...and speaking of Scandinavia, the Bruins looked mighty impressive tonight against the Leafs who were clearly still reeling from the Mats Sundin sendoff party... which was complete with Tjord Gustavson albums, Norwegian Reindeer Meat hor d'oeuvres and boisenberry Kool-Aid...that's what I heard anyway

Sharks made a big statement and it's been kinda quiet from the OP so I'm assuming he watched the Hairy Girls whoop up on the Flyboys.
    ...it was more about bad defense in the first and no luck on some great chances. How many times can you hit the uprights and not get a goal?

As for the Sharks, what a beating they took against the Wings. 6-0? Gassed or not, they need to be up for that match up. Quit whining and start playing.

I'm not sure sure about that.

you know how much it pains me to say this, Cindy's Pens seem like the real deal.
    They've lost 4 in a row after getting pasted by the Panthers 6-, who broke their own 4 game losing streak. and Cindy got himself into just the second fight of his career. He got 19 total minutes for it too; instigator, unsportsmanlike conduct, and the fight itself. Looks like he's becoming more unhinged than an Oklahoma cellar door in a cat 5 hurricane.

The Flyers had yet another shootout last night and lost it after having won on Friday night. That's a league-leading 8 OTs, but they were able to take the Atlantic lead with 50 points, although that will be short-lived when the Ranges kick the snot out of the Pens tonight.

... when the Ranges kick the snot out of the Pens tonight.
    um...well, that's tomorrow night...but I hope, sir, that you are correct.

I was correct all right...

um...well, that's tomorrow night...but I hope, sir, that you are correct.
    ....about the result anyway. I hate the Rangers nearly as much as the Pens, but seeing them crush Cindy and company 4-0 was sweet.

As for the Fly Boys, tonight was their third SO in a row, and their 16th OT game. I'll take the point since the Caps have the best home record in the league, but I still have this nasty dislike of SOs. At least nobody got Semin-ized tonight.

....about the result anyway. I hate the Rangers nearly as much as the Pens, but seeing them crush Cindy and company 4-0 was sweet.
    Get ready for another reason to hate the Rangers...The Return of Sean Avery...oh, it's a-commin'.

What's going on wit yer boy Simon Gagne? That's a lot of money to dole out for such a lackluster performance...can you say "Drury"?...can you say "Gomez"?

Fortunately for the Flyboys, they've managed to find a variety of ways to remain competitive.

.... At least nobody got Semin-ized tonight.

What's that got to do with Semin?

Did I miss something? Did you upload the wrong fight? Am I losing my mind?

Avery? Do you really think so?

Get ready for another reason to hate the Rangers...The Return of Sean Avery...oh, it's a-commin'.

What's going on wit yer boy Simon Gagne? That's a lot of money to dole out for such a lackluster performance...can you say "Drury"?...can you say "Gomez"?

Fortunately for the Flyboys, they've managed to find a variety of ways to remain competitive.
    I think that would be a foolish move on their part, but if they want to become the Cowboys of the NHL, then go for it.

Gagne will be fine. He's had some nagging injuries and was out a couple games with a shoulder injury, and I don't think he's even 70% yet. But he will get hot again like he was a few weeks ago. He's among the best players in the league and deserved the money. Everyone goes through a rough patch now and again. He has 40 points and is a +18, so you can't fault him there, and he could eclipse his 68 points from a couple years ago.

I think that would be a foolish move on their part, but if they want to become the Cowboys of the NHL, then go for it.

Gagne will be fine. He's had some nagging injuries and was out a couple games with a shoulder injury, and I don't think he's even 70% yet. But he will get hot again like he was a few weeks ago. He's among the best players in the league and deserved the money. Everyone goes through a rough patch now and again. He has 40 points and is a +18, so you can't fault him there, and he could eclipse his 68 points from a couple years ago.
    Gagne's defensive play is what really sets him apart from the pure point getters in the NHL...he has it, most don't. So much of what makes him worth his contract (when he's healthy) isn't flash, but it keeps the puck out of the net. Granted he showed a lot more of it under the old coaches, I think that's just the current bosses trying to keep him higher for his speedy breakouts. There's a reason Team Canada keeps begging for this guy to play for them, and keeps Eric Staal, Marc Savard, and Danny Briere on the extended depth chart.

Ain't no way in hell Avery is going back to the Rangers. Drury and Redden can't stand the guy and he's too close to the league offices and spotlight for them. West Coast or Phoenix maybe. Somewhere he can fly under the radar but help a team.

I think he might be buried in the minors or f-off to Europe though. Dallas might not buy him out for another year or so and that's a long time. Too bad, I like his game if he stops the sideshow.

Did I miss something? Did you upload the wrong fight? Am I losing my mind?
    No, you noted that nobody got "Seminized" and that was certainly an example of such; two of the premier heavywieghts not named Brashear or LaRaque...kinda an anti-Seminizing, as it were, with no bongo playing.

Ain't no way in hell Avery is going back to the Rangers. Drury and Redden can't stand the guy and he's too close to the league offices and spotlight for them. West Coast or Phoenix maybe. Somewhere he can fly under the radar but help a team.

I think he might be buried in the minors or f-off to Europe though. Dallas might not buy him out for another year or so and that's a long time. Too bad, I like his game if he stops the sideshow.
    Don't be too sure Kex. Redden may not be too long for the Blue & Red, so that may be a non-issue and the New York management may be scrambling a bit. I don't believe he is ultimately a ticket to Stanley Cup success but Sather may feel some pressure from the public.

I agree with your assessment of Gagne it's just that I've been far too supportive of Swish and his teams recently and feel the need to inject a bit of the smack into an otherwise homogeneous conversation.

Hey Swish...

...how about that David Krejci?

Ol' boy's got more points than Mike Richards and Simone Gagne...

...got more points than Lupul and Upshall combined.

At least it wasn't a shootout loss.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information