Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Cool PS3 Discussion Thread

Many of us already have a PS3 or plan on getting one soon. I figured I'd start a thread to discuss all things PS3. Games, Playstation Network, Downloads, Updates, Settings, BR, Themes......You get the point.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    T - minus 30 days for mine...we can start by telling Kex which model/version has the best inner goodies, or package deal or whatever...

Suspended
    Good idea L.J. Maybe this will revive my spirits about purchasing one, and I'll tell ya why...

I moved my PC out into the living room, connected it to the TV via DVI connection and ran an audio cable from the Audigy soundcard to a coax input at the receiver over the weekend. I moved the network cable that was connected to the receiver over to the PC (that's why I didn't respond to your question about what I was trying to do with my remote and internet radio), adjusted my screen settings (the TV automatically detected the DVI connection to the PC) and now everything looks and sounds fine. This is good because I no longer have to deal with WMP and the hot spare bedroom where the PC used to reside. A wireles keyboard and mouse are on their way from Amazon and I purchased a 10' DVI cable to connect my computer's LCD monitor to the video card's secondary connector. This will allow me to keep the TV off when it's not needed. The video card's s/w allows me to set the primary monitor and allows different modes for the desktop display.

Why am I doing this? I'm losing patience waiting for the PS3/MGS4 bundle and I'm realizing how much more expensive PS games are compared to PC games. I have a few of them, so I'm not real keen on buying all over again for PS3. I haven't fired up Doom3, Stalker or Half Life II yet, but I'm going to post some pictures in a thread ASAP.

I know what you're going to say next so... Blue-ray movies (the ones worth purchasing) are still expensive, and the truth is I own more concert DVD's than I do movies.

Anyway, enough about me and my little dilemas. Have at it!

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    T - minus 30 days for mine...we can start by telling Kex which model/version has the best inner goodies, or package deal or whatever...
    I think the 80g MG package is the hot item right now. Actually, I think that's the only way to get a 80g PS3.

Amazon got a deal going on the 40g. The 40g doesn't have memory card slots & only has 2 usb instead of 4.

Here's a chart comparing the 2 models. The 60g is discontinued.

if they won't even consider releasing GTA IV for PC, i'd seriously consider adding it to my 'to do' list of future upgrades...
    that, and a projector.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

It looks like a new skew is coming out soon. But the rumor is that it will just be a different package deal.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Good idea L.J. Maybe this will revive my spirits about purchasing one, and I'll tell ya why...

I moved my PC out into the living room, connected it to the TV via DVI connection and ran an audio cable from the Audigy soundcard to a coax input at the receiver over the weekend. I moved the network cable that was connected to the receiver over to the PC (that's why I didn't respond to your question about what I was trying to do with my remote and internet radio), adjusted my screen settings (the TV automatically detected the DVI connection to the PC) and now everything looks and sounds fine. This is good because I no longer have to deal with WMP and the hot spare bedroom where the PC used to reside. A wireles keyboard and mouse are on their way from Amazon and I purchased a 10' DVI cable to connect my computer's LCD monitor to the video card's secondary connector. This will allow me to keep the TV off when it's not needed. The video card's s/w allows me to set the primary monitor and allows different modes for the desktop display.

Why am I doing this? I'm losing patience waiting for the PS3/MGS4 bundle and I'm realizing how much more expensive PS games are compared to PC games. I have a few of them, so I'm not real keen on buying all over again for PS3. I haven't fired up Doom3, Stalker or Half Life II yet, but I'm going to post some pictures in a thread ASAP.

I know what you're going to say next so... Blue-ray movies (the ones worth purchasing) are still expensive, and the truth is I own more concert DVD's than I do movies.

Anyway, enough about me and my little dilemas. Have at it!

I agree with the expensive part. I've backed off purchasing movies and games for a bit(although I just purchased 2 PS3 games). I use Netflix for BR rentals($14 per month, 2 out at a time unlimited) & I just joined Gamefly($15 per month unlimited game rentals). $30 per month gives me plenty of entertainment and i think it's worth it.

Streaming from the PS3 is great but that's not the only way I listen to music. I still use my 2910 for CD/SACD/DVDA, sometimes I load up my CD changer or I'll listen to music through my cable music stations. I don't mind the TV being on when I stream though.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    It looks like a new skew is coming out soon. But the rumor is that it will just be a different package deal.
    Price drop???

Didn't Wii & Xbox just do a price drop?

Maybe something will be announced during E3.
    Last edited by L.J.; 07-15-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    The only thing that happened at E3 today, was that Sony got it's ass handed to it.

Final Fantasy XIII was announced cross platform, Sony Fanboys everywhere shat their collective pants. (I've never played any of the FF games, so I don't know what the hubub is about).

NetFlix announced a partnership w/XBOX 360 to allow NetFlix consumers to stream movies from the NetFlix servers onto the 360 at NO CHARGE for current NetFlix customers. (No extra charge for new customers either. Just need to set up an account).

Not a banner day for PS3 owners.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Price drop???

Maybe somethiong will be announced during E3.
    Sony says no to the price drop. http://www.denofgeek.com/games/85112...ruled_out.html

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Sony_...299_20229.html

Many analysts and game journalists were wondering if Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots would spark a significant PlayStation 3 hardware sales surge, and that question has - for the most part - been answered. We don't yet have exact numbers from everywhere, but if the latest Amazon response has been any indication, MGS4 is a definite system seller.

First of all, the online retailer sold out of the Limited Edition MGS4 PS3 bundle almost immediately, but perhaps more telling is what happened when they managed to restock. As soon as they did so, sales of the bundle shot up 4,033%, which meant the package landed firmly up at #6 in the Video Games division for Amazon. Obviously, a whole lot of people were waiting for Konami's masterpiece before taking the next-gen leap with Sony. On top of which, if they weren't able to land this nifty package - it includes a Limited Edition copy of MGS4, a Dual Shock 3 controller, and the 80GB PS3 - it's obvious that more than a few gamers were willing to wait for a restock. It did take a while for many retailers to get more of these bundles, but as soon as they do, they're disappearing out the door.

It shouldn't have been any surprise to see Konami and Sony teaming up on this bundle in the first place; MGS4 is a massive exclusive for the PS3, and they simply wanted to remind everyone of that one simple fact. If you don't have a PS3, you can't play MGS4...and that's like some form of sacrilege if you're an avid gamer.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/3389.html
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    NetFlix announced a partnership w/XBOX 360 to allow NetFlix consumers to stream movies from the NetFlix servers onto the 360 at NO CHARGE for current NetFlix customers. (No extra charge for new customers either. Just need to set up an account).
    I guess that could come in handy for my kids. Not anything to make me wanna run out and buy an Xbox though.

Are the movies in HD? 5.1 sound?

I guess that could come in handy for my kids. Not anything to make me wanna run out and buy an Xbox though.

Are the movies in HD? 5.1 sound?
    Frankly, I don't know, nor will pretend that I do. At this point, it is a pretty good announcment for both NetFlix, and MS.

As you pointed out, it should be handy for the kids. NetFlix has a small but growing library of on demand movies, and this is a great vehicle for larger distribution. Not to mention I am already paying for NetFlix, I think I'll give it a try when it goes live.

I don't think there is any HD broadcasts yet.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    Price drop???

Maybe somethiong will be announced during E3.
    L.J. When I click on the "announced during E3"... what I assumed was a link to the E3 conference, I instead end up in a quote box allowing me to quote GM's post #6. Was that intended?

I don't know how that happened. I fixed it.

Well, I might as well go with the MGS4 package then unless something pops up in the meantime.

Cool that FF 346 is going cross-platform...guess it won't matter if I have a PS3 anyway.

Well, I might as well go with the MGS4 package then unless something pops up in the meantime.

Cool that FF 346 is going cross-platform...guess it won't matter if I have a PS3 anyway.
    The 80g was announced to drop to $399 in Sept.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/889/889830p1.html

Sony cutting price of PS3, adding video downloads

From Mercurynews.com

LOS ANGELES - In a bid to regain lost ground in the fiercely competitive gaming business, Sony announced Tuesday that it will cut the price of its high-end PlayStation 3 console by $100. It also will introduce downloads of movies and TV shows to the game machine's online store and, with some software partners, roll out a number of exclusive games.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/...nclick_check=1

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    From Mercurynews.com

LOS ANGELES - In a bid to regain lost ground in the fiercely competitive gaming business, Sony announced Tuesday that it will cut the price of its high-end PlayStation 3 console by $100. It also will introduce downloads of movies and TV shows to the game machine's online store and, with some software partners, roll out a number of exclusive games.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/...nclick_check=1
    There is NO price cut. They are lowering the price of the 80Gig to that of the 40 Gig. And stripping out the backwards compat.

40Gig is getting sold out never to be seen again. Just to be sure, the "new" 80gig price point will be labeld the "core" unit.

Doubtful the "core" will be the only SKU that Sony will be selling.

This is NOT a price cut. Smoke and mirrors.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Weird, I would think we'll see the price drop earlier than Sept. Otherwise a few hundred thousand PS3 buyers are just gonna wait until September...present party included...

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    There is NO price cut. They are lowering the price of the 80Gig to that of the 40 Gig. And stripping out the backwards compat.

This is NOT a price cut. Smoke and mirrors.
    So for a guy like me with zero PS2 titles, am I not getting an 80 GB, otherwise equal or better PS3 for less money than the current 80 GB price? Or is this thing crippled somehow?

Suspended
    I'm willing to bet you won't see another current 80 gig PS3 (the one with Metal Gear Solid 4 bundled) until September anyway, if that makes any sense.

So for a guy like me with zero PS2 titles, am I not getting an 80 GB, otherwise equal or better PS3 for less money than the current 80 GB price? Or is this thing crippled somehow?
    It comes with a genetic birth defect. It can not digest sugar substitutes on odd days that end in "y".

During the second full moon of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I'm willing to bet you won't see another current 80 gig PS3 (the one with Metal Gear Solid 4 bundled) until September anyway, if that makes any sense.
    Have you tried to pre-order from anyone?

Suspended
    IIRC, CC was accepting pre-orders, but you had to buy the system AND another Dualshock controller for $59. I didn't want to do that. Any other site I go to doesn't allow me to pre-order. I was on the Sony store auto-notification list when they were first released, but I never got notified. Amaozon stock sold out immediately, and I read they restocked a few days ago and those units also sold out immediately.

I don't mean to discourage anybody but for me the experience has been very frustrating.

Wow! Imagine how many they would have sold if they were available. Somewhere in Sony, there's a Purchasing Manager getting his butt chewed off.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information