Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Oprah. Love her or Hate her?

Well, Oprah has announced the end of her show in 2011. I know that for many this will be a terrible loss. For others, the only thing terrible about it is that they have to wait until 2011.

Everyone seem to have an opinion about Oprah. So what's yours? Love Oprah or Hate Oprah? Or, maybe you just don't care one way or the other.

This is the Oprah Sound Off Board. Go to it...but don't get us banned to the Steel Cage. Keep it clean...this thread should be fun.

I'll kick it off with one good and one bad thing.

Good: She's raised millions of dollars for charity.

Bad: She's so egotistical that I once watched a show where she claimed that yogurt, berries and granola as a healthy snack was her invention. That's right, Oprah invented yogurt, berries and granola!

Who's this 'Oprah' person anyway? Is her last name Winfrey? I've never see a whole Oprah Winfrey episode; in fact the most I've caught are snippets air on other shows.

So I really don't know about her, but I do know I have no interest in a windbag whose thing is (1) interviewing ignoramuses from the street and some celebrities to talk about their petty problems and (2) making billions in product endorsements. As I gather she flogs popular myths and misconceptions, (e.g. about Black American males??), in an exploitive but uncritical manner. One good thing she flogged to the masses was Obama for President.

Which part of the above is wrong?

But I gather she isn't going away, instead she'll have her own effing network .

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Or, maybe you just don't care one way or the other.
    Even a rat's ass carries more interest for me.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I like Oprah but then I truly dislike a very few people. I enjoyed her show more in the early days when she dealt with issues that few others were talking about. She is a survivor of sexual assault and that is a long road back to where she is today. I think she has helped many build or rebuild self-esteem. She has been generous to many and supports charities. Oh and she introduced Nate Berkus to the world.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Oh and she introduced Nate Berkus to the world.
    True. But I think that good deed is more than offset by her introduction of Dr. Phil to the world.

Oprah who?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I like her alot. As with many people in show business, I have to look at the good she does, and there is a lot to look at in that department. I occasionally catch her show, and I don't always like it, but sometimes it is really quite interesting. I don't find her any more egotistical than any other television personality, but I know two of her employees who say you MUST seperate the television attitude from the real person. Her staff absolutely adores her, and work like maniacs for her, and she richly rewards them for their loyalty. I do have a perception that she is a man hater, but that could be just me. I do have a large measure of respect for her accomplishments, and for her postitive contributions to society.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Just two comments;

One- My wife only works part-time and I have one rule. If I come home from work and she utters the phrase "Guess what was on Oprah today?" then she has to go back to work full-time.

Two- IMO while Oprah has done many good deeds over the years she has tendency to do this through the donation and help of many corporations and other organizations. She has a tendency to take the lion's share of the credit and is often remiss when the praise comes solely to her to take a step back and point the spotlight on those who contributed the time or money to make things happen.
    Last edited by thekid; 11-26-2009 at 03:58 AM.

Neither. She doesn't even register on my GAS scale.

Now, Dr. Phil on the other hand, I'd like to see drawn and quartered.

Now, Dr. Oz, I think is the greatest thing since sliced bread. He deals in truths and takes important issues and explains them so anyone can grasp the concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Now, Dr. Phil on the other hand, I'd like to see drawn and quartered.

Now, Dr. Oz, I think is the greatest thing since sliced bread. He deals in truths and takes important issues and explains them so anyone can grasp the concepts.
    Something we agree on!

Ms. Winfry...

I don't hate or despise her as I am annoyed by her.

The Cons

1. The endless parade of women abused by men. The endless parade of women tortured, infected, ripped off by men, day in... day out. Once a year she features a show on men of ANY redeeming social value. It's clear to me, she hates men.

2. Her flip flops on morality. She kind of strikes me as "do as I say, not as I do". She chided Jamie Fox about when he was going to settle down and get married. He shot back in classic street style, "when are you gonna get married?" Who is she to lecture anyone on personal relationships? Has she ever had a successful one? Yet she does it all the time.

3. She's always foisting things on us. The list of "authors" sob story tellers and liars that have "taken" Oprah is getting longer. Less sensation and more research is needed.

4. The "Oprahization" of personal responsibility. I'm not a crooked low dirt person, mommy, daddy and god know's who else did this to me. Hug me momma Oprah and tell me it's not my fault and I'm a hero for living in squallor. Puh Lease!!!

The Pros

1. She's helped a crapload of people all over the world. She may grandstand about it but if you're on the receiving end and really... really in need, who cares if she pats her self on the back?

2. She genuinely seems to care about other human beings. Empathy can never be overrated or underappreciated. I just don't see much love for men is all.

3. She is most likely, the most powerfull woman since Victoria ruled the world. She can make you or break you with a nod or a smile. This is a both a blessing and a curse cause some of the crap she's foisted on us has been horrendus. Dr. Phil anyone???

She is a complex woman and a mixed bag. I just like her a whole lot less than others. Simple as that. But my opinion is an informed opinion, I've seen and watched her... at gunpoint, so this is NOT some knee jerk reaction.

Worf

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    One- My wife only works part-time and I have one rule. If I come home from work and she utters the phrase "Guess what was on Oprah today?" then she has to go back to work full-time.

Hahahaha, if this was the only rule you were allowed kid, it would be a good one!! Watching Oprah scares me, if you look at her studio audience, alot of them look like they're hypnotized. Their eyes are bulging out of their heads and their smiles are huge. Something eerie about this...

nightflier
    Then there's the whole Beef industry fiasco....

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101

The Cons

1. The endless parade of women abused by men. The endless parade of women tortured, infected, ripped off by men, day in... day out. Once a year she features a show on men of ANY redeeming social value. It's clear to me, she hates men.
    Funny. This is one of the things that I like about her. She's done a great job over the years of bringing women's issues to the forefront. I don't watch her show enough to have seen this as an "endless parade of women"; perhaps that's true. But I've seen her do shows on female castration, polygamy, internet predators, how women are treated in Islamic countries, honour killings and maimings, and other issues that we may or may not experience directly here in North America. There are not a lot of venues (for lack of a better word) that can bring these issues to mainstream America. I think it's important for people to be exposed to these issues and I think that Oprah has done a great job in that respect.

As for whether or not she's a man hater, I can't comment. But if you look at her primary target market, too many shows about men are not going to be a big draw. She's going after the female market, you do that by covering topics of interest to women. She knows who her market is and she panders to it. It's good business sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101

The Cons

The Pros

Worf
    To get back to my point about Winfrey, to me she is neither good nor bad, pleasing or annoying. She is merely irrelevant.

There are people whose TV shows I hate to miss. One that comes to mind is Fareed Zakaria. He interviews world leaders and acknowledge experts on grave subjects that effect nations and citizens in material ways.

What a contrast to Oprah Winfrey!

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Funny. This is one of the things that I like about her. She's done a great job over the years of bringing women's issues to the forefront. I don't watch her show enough to have seen this as an "endless parade of women"; perhaps that's true. But I've seen her do shows on female castration, polygamy, internet predators, how women are treated in Islamic countries, honour killings and maimings, and other issues that we may or may not experience directly here in North America. There are not a lot of venues (for lack of a better word) that can bring these issues to mainstream America. I think it's important for people to be exposed to these issues and I think that Oprah has done a great job in that respect.

As for whether or not she's a man hater, I can't comment. But if you look at her primary target market, too many shows about men are not going to be a big draw. She's going after the female market, you do that by covering topics of interest to women. She knows who her market is and she panders to it. It's good business sense.
    And this is exactly why I appreciate her for what she does. Rather than scatter the purpose of her show, she has chosen to focus it on a target audience. That cannot help but make a lot of others feel left out, under served, and irrelevant. It however is what it is, and must be appreciated for just that. Oprah comes on in the afternoon in quite a few markets in America. Men are not home at those times, so why make her show appealing for an absent audience? The broadcast marketing firms of the stations that carry her are quite aware of when to show her television show, and that is why she has had pretty large audiences over the years. You cannot underestimate her appeal in her target audience.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    And this is exactly why I appreciate her for what she does. Rather than scatter the purpose of her show, she has chosen to focus it on a target audience. That cannot help but make a lot of others feel left out, under served, and irrelevant. It however is what it is, and must be appreciated for just that. Oprah comes on in the afternoon in quite a few markets in America. Men are not home at those times, so why make her show appealing for an absent audience? The broadcast marketing firms of the stations that carry her are quite aware of when to show her television show, and that is why she has had pretty large audiences over the years. You cannot underestimate her appeal in her target audience.
    You're right. That explains why I consider Winfrey irrelevant.

But I'd be content if you could explain why Winfrey or her like appeal to stay-at-home women. I guess that will remain one of life's mysteries.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    She is a genius at marketing and a shrewd business woman. Like others in the industry, she knows how to make money and to whom to pander. Doesn't make her right or wrong, just rich.

I remember back in the '80s a running joke about her; while flipping channels if we'd land on an Oprah show, it was, "oh...Oprah's on...I wonder what men did now?" I don't think she is as vapid about her "men" issues today as she was back then, but I watch TV to be enlightened or entertained and I find her neither enlightening or entertaining (my wife does though). I don't think she's racist. I don't think she's sexist - look at the men whose careers she pushed into superstardom, provided they fit her transparent Phil Donahue profile of course (which may backhandedly support the racism claim). She's more relevant today than Phil Donahue was in his day, but having molded herself in the same image, that's more of a telling indictment of today's celebrity obcessed culture than a accurate assessment of Oprah's skills. As for her personallity, I'm neither here nor there - she doesn't act any differently than anyone else who is "constantly being dusted when ya ain't even dirty" - Robby Robertson.

FWIW: it was Phil Donahue who started the craze of blaming one's own subversive behavior on childhood traumas and cultural upbringing, not Oprah.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Forum Regular
    I believe everyone who reads this has an issue with dependable women. Nowadays, it is not an issue for me because we can go to dating services and find someone there. But I didn't trust dating sites, but I didn't have any other options. Then, on the recommendation of a friend, I discovered russian mail order bride. I'm happy with everything because we talk in our native tongue and have numerous hobbies. If you have the same problem as I had, I recommend that you find such a girl.

Thread Information