Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: New Beer Thread

Suspended

New Beer Thread

I could've sworn there was a beer related thread around here somewhere but I'll be dammed if I can find it.

Anyway, back a few weeks ago while a couple of friends and I were making our way to the Rush concert we stopped at a nearby tap room for some eats and beers, and one of the guys suggested an ale I've never heard of named Maredsous. It's a Belgian ale brewed by Monks. There are three types of this particular ale: "Blonde 6", "Triple 10" and one called "Dubbel 8". I brought home a 4-pack of Triple 10 and I have to say it does live up to it's description of a "Full bodied Triple with elegantly balanced sweetness, fruitiness and hopping." Only thing is... What does "Triple" mean? Is that triple the amount of hopps? I know what the "10" means: 10% alcohol (this stuff's gotta kick, no doubt about it!

In any event, I like it but I'll bet I'd like the blonde version better because that's really where my tastes lie. (e.g. Bass Ale). Anyone ever try this? Do you like the blonde version?
    Last edited by Rich-n-Texas; 06-24-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Suspended
    Looks like... "Dead Beer Thread" would have been a more appropriate title.

Nevertheless, two of them suckers kicked me in the butt good-n-hard last Friday.

(Well, that and a couple o' Tequila shots)

Maredsous??

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Looks like... "Dead Beer Thread" would have been a more appropriate title.

Nevertheless, two of them suckers kicked me in the butt good-n-hard last Friday.

(Well, that and a couple o' Tequila shots)
    Never heard of Maredsous. This is the beer you want to drink: Sleeman Honey Brown Lager
    Attached Images Attached Images  

maredsous sounds vaguely familiar...
    never tasted it though...

but I'll take your word on it that it's good

still a big chiney fan here, and recently I found new beers I like: Liefmans kriek (wild cherry?) & Lindemans Kriek, as well as Rodenbach (all 3 red beers...).

a good glass of wine is, however, better with certain music at late nights, if I drink something at all

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Never heard of Maredsous. This is the beer you want to drink: Sleeman Honey Brown Lager

I've tried Sleeman a few times and it is very nice. Not so easy to get here in the States.

I tried it few months ago in Michigan. Friends brought it down, I mean up, from Windsor.

I'll be in Banff in August so I plan on sampling some fine hard to get Canadian brews.

Any suggestions other than the mass produced stuff?

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    I prefer to make my own. I go to www.mrbeer.com and order up what I need.

Now that I actually got a job, I can order more supplies. The last batch I made was good, but it never lasts.

Honey Wheat
    Blackberry Wheat
    Assorted Ales
    and a great Pilsner!

Homebrew is where it's at gentleman. 2 weeks of your time, and it's the bee's knees.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    Truthfully, I don't know what the difference is between a Lager and an Ale, but blonde/pale ale's seem to get my favor these days. Liquor stores are few and far between here in the Bible Belt; many towns are dry but there are two stores on my way home from work. I'll look for Sleeman Honey Brown but it's not likely I'll find it.

BTW beefy, I neglected to congratulate you on your new gig. and send money!

In Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by JSE

I'll be in Banff in August so I plan on sampling some fine hard to get Canadian brews.

Any suggestions other than the mass produced stuff?
    Beautiful spot, Banff, in case you haven't been there. Lot's to do and see. Don't miss nearby Lake Louise.

I haven't done a lot of beer drinking in Alberta myself, but you might want to check out the the Real Beer site for Alberta, or the Beer Expedition Alberta page, esp. for Canmore (near Banff).

An medium sized brewer in Alberta is Big Rock. I like their Warthog and Traditional ales myself -- not as good as Sleeman but not bad at all.

Man, I gotta get out more. I have no clue where to get this stuff. BevMo???

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Beautiful spot, Banff, in case you haven't been there. Lot's to do and see. Don't miss nearby Lake Louise.

I haven't done a lot of beer drinking in Alberta myself, but you might want to check out the the Real Beer site for Alberta, or the Beer Expedition Alberta page, esp. for Canmore (near Banff).

An medium sized brewer in Alberta is Big Rock. I like their Warthog and Traditional ales myself -- not as good as Sleeman but not bad at all.

Hey, cool tips Feanor. I'll check them out.

I've been to Banff before a few years back. Liked it so much we're going back for a few days and then we are driving down to Glacier National Park for another few days. 12 days total between the two. Plan on lots of hiking and some fine brews!

JSE

Suspended
    L.J.'s hangover cure thread made me thirsty so I'm dragging this thread up. It doesn't look like I'll ever be able to find Sleeman here in North Texas, but how does J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown stack up? I also like some of Sam Adams' brews FWIW

Suspended
    MMMMMMmmmmmmmmBeer

Great post Rich. I may be narrow minded with politics and music, but when it comes to beer/ales I sample many except for anything from the major brewers like Bud, Coors, Miller....Ah heck, there I go again.

Anyway, I got to try that Maredsous last xmas time in our company swap. Twice a year we gather 24 thirsty people and get to sample 23 beers you didn't buy but were approved. Again all specialty brews, micros, belgian, german, and brittish treats such as Wytchwood Fiddlers Elbow. We do 1 at holiday time of all seasonal ales and 1 in spring full of Blonds, Wits, and extra hoppy ones such as Bluepoint Hoptical Illusion or DogfishHead's Aprihop, a nice IPA with apricots and strong.

Speaking of strong ones, 2 coworkers and I split a case of DogfishHead Midas Touch, which is the oldest know recipe found in King Midas's tomb. It's brewed with honey, saffron, and muscat grapes. It's more like a desert wine with a little fizz and 9% alcohol. We split it because the case was $65. Quite interesting and one the ladies may go for until they realize the kick.

Also finishing off a case of Riverhorse Summer Blond, brewed right across the river in Lambertville NJ.

Suspended
    I was at a pub last night with a couple of friends and sure enough Maredsous was on the list. I've had trouble from day one trying to pronounce the name (Maridzue is how the waiter pronounced it). It was poured out of the bottle into a wide rimmed glass, and with my first sip I realized how sweet this brew starts, and then finishes off with a rich... I don't know... full bodied (for lack of a better term) taste. A 4 pack from the liquor store costs about $12.00 down here; I'm not even going to say how much two bottles cost last night at the pub but needless to say, payday won't be coming a bit too soon.

Another brew I was turned onto some time ago by my British friends is Boddingtons Pub Ale, which is a really smoooooooth ale. That also comes in a 4 pack here, but can be hard to get a hold of sometimes. I guess down here in the Dallas area you have to find the right watering holes in order to come across some of the more obscure names that have been getting thrown around in this thread, because most liquor stores just don't devote much refridgerator space to it.

BTW, I grew up near Cherry Hill which is about 40 - 50 mi. south of Lambertville.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

We roll strong for a small town...

Suspended
    So what's everybody drinking this weekend?

Suspended
    Dude, ever been to Oaken Barrel in Greenwood? Great beers there as well as food.

Suspended
    So what's everybody drinking this weekend?
    I have a few more Midas Touch left, working on the Riverhorse Blond, still have a few Victory Golden Monkey's, some Heavy Sees Holy Sheets and some German stuff I can hardly pronounce. Also still have a couple Dogfishhead Aprihops.

Suspended
    Maaaaan... where the hell do you get this stuff?!

Suspended
    Maaaaan... where the hell do you get this stuff?!
    We have several good places around here that cater to us beer snobs. I am in Bucks County PA and usually frequent Hatboro Beverage. Recently found Big Top in Roslyn where they have double the selection. I also get stuff from Martin's Liqueur in Mt Laurel NJ.

I also seek out brew pubs wherever I go. In two weeks I am going to London for work and taking my wife. We are staying in the Covent Garden area where there is a pub on every corner. Our nightly plan is to eat/drink at one pub and walk to at least two more for desert.

Suspended
    I used to work in Mt. Laurel many years ago. As I get out around down here more often, I am finding some small hole-in-the-wall establishments that have some fairly extravegant imports. I can also buy beer in grocery stores (Albertsons right across the highway) so at the very least I can keep plenty of Bass Ale on hand.

Gotta case up...Anybody want some?
    Last edited by Auricauricle; 11-06-2008 at 03:54 PM.
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

JSE
    L.J.'s hangover cure thread made me thirsty so I'm dragging this thread up. It doesn't look like I'll ever be able to find Sleeman here in North Texas, but how does J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown stack up? I also like some of Sam Adams' brews FWIW

Just got back from Banff and Glacier National Park. While in Banff I consumed plenty of Sleeman Honey Brown and some other Sleeman Aniversary brew. Can't remember the name. The Honey Brown was much better than I remembered and truly an outstanding beer. I don't think we will ever get it here Rich. I've tried and no luck. I spoke to Spec's beer guru and while he loves the beer there is no hope of getting it.

I'll likely be in Michigan in Oct/Nov and I'm getting my canadian buddies to bring a "truck load". Can beer be shipped via UPS/FEDEX from state to state? If so and if I can get it to Houston somehow, maybe I can send a pack your way.

I'll tell ya. If Sleeman was available here in Texas, I would buy far less ShinerBock.

Had a beer in Montana called Moose Drool. Not bad at all. And yes, I got a Moose Drool t-shirt.

Suspended
    So, do you EVER go to work Cartman?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman
    Just got back from Banff and Glacier National Park...
    ... I'll likely be in Michigan in Oct/Nov...
    Good grief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman
    I'll tell ya. If Sleeman was available here in Texas, I would buy far less ShinerBock.
    And I'd be dam proud of you son.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Had a beer in Montana called Moose Drool. Not bad at all. And yes, I got a Moose Drool t-shirt.
    No T-shirt for your fellow Texan though huh?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Gotta case up...Anybody want some?
    I think yer tryin to fool us wit dat Old Peculier beer trick buster.

Nae....They're a good buncha peeps and a hoot t' hang aroun'....

http://www.shotsmag.co.uk/features20...ogate2005.html

And here's another deli for you to drool over:

http://www.bavariasausage.com/

BTW: For my next trick, wait 'til you see where the bunny pops out!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information