Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769

    I left home and drove straight into winter

    So, I had to head 350km due north for a business trip. When I left home, it was windy and rainy. As I headed north, the rain turned to wet snow. By the time I was about 250km north, the weather cleared up, but there was a solid covering of snow over everything. The northern pine trees were sparkling in their white wonder. The ground was covered in a blanket of white cotton. And as pretty as it all looked, I couldn't help thinking...damn, I've driven straight into winter and it's not even halloween yet!

  2. #2
    Do What? jrhymeammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,275
    We had that in Denver on wednesday/thursday. I was great at night, but turned into slush. Fire and Snow really pumps my blood and dilate my eyes.

    You know, I used to think PolarBear were like 15 feet long and about 8 feet in heights. Every kids had great experience first time at Zoos. I remember that I was very sad......

    -JRA

  3. #3
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    ahhh, winter *enjoys*, let it come, no snow here, only some rain here and there...

    lucky bastard

    Greetings,
    Basite.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  4. #4
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Thanks for the preview FA. Enjoy the white stuff.

    It won't be long before we see it too. Everything was white with frost the other moning. Today they say 70's. Go figure.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  5. #5
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    below the noise floor
    Posts
    3,636
    Nice imagery. Subject sounds like one of Davey's posts. I've always enjoyed mother-nature-induced surreal moments.
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 11-01-2006 at 04:45 AM.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

  6. #6
    Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Nueva Jork
    Posts
    2,148

    Probably...

    ...this time of year, but a few years ago, my wife and I were invited to a wedding being held in small town in western NY outside of Buffalo...We decided to make an event out of it and made plans, at a mid-point in our journey, to do some fall hiking in the Finger Lakes region of the state at Watkins Glen State Park...A bit chilly in the AM, we were down to our coolmax Ts by the time day was done, fleece and woolens secured by the cargo straps on our daypacks...

    The next day, at Niagra Falls, it was a short-sleeved shirts and gee-I wish-I'd-worn-shorts, kind of day...The morning after, we headed back east to the town where the ceremony was being held, all gussied-up in our wedding finery...Seasonable weather, simple church ceremony and a very fine reception...stayed that night in a place called the Roycroft Inn, a really nice place built in the heyday of the Arts & Crafts period, furnished In Stickley-style craftsman pieces...Talk about autumn in New York...Small town Americana nestled in picture postcard foliage

    The following morning we bid farewell to the other wedding participants and headed toward our penultimate destination of Bennington/Manchester VT...about halfway there or so, heading east on the NYS Thruway, the snow started, lightly at first, shifting my Jeep into 4wheel drive shortly thereafter became a prudent choice...By the time we got to our room in Vermont, the world had changed into a picture perfect Christmas card, snow-covered covered bridges, hints of orange and gold from the trees crowned by the newly fallen snow...absolutely beautiful, so much so we extended our stay by a day...Good company, Vermont cheddar and crackers and a crackling fire, IMO things don't get much better than that...

    jimHJJ(...One of the best trips I will ever have made...and all quite simply by chance...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

    "Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

    "The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

    "We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

    If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

  7. #7
    If you can't run-walk. Bernd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...this time of year, but a few years ago, my wife and I were invited to a wedding being held in small town in western NY outside of Buffalo...We decided to make an event out of it and made plans, at a mid-point in our journey, to do some fall hiking in the Finger Lakes region of the state at Watkins Glen State Park...A bit chilly in the AM, we were down to our coolmax Ts by the time day was done, fleece and woolens secured by the cargo straps on our daypacks...

    The next day, at Niagra Falls, it was a short-sleeved shirts and gee-I wish-I'd-worn-shorts, kind of day...The morning after, we headed back east to the town where the ceremony was being held, all gussied-up in our wedding finery...Seasonable weather, simple church ceremony and a very fine reception...stayed that night in a place called the Roycroft Inn, a really nice place built in the heyday of the Arts & Crafts period, furnished In Stickley-style craftsman pieces...Talk about autumn in New York...Small town Americana nestled in picture postcard foliage

    The following morning we bid farewell to the other wedding participants and headed toward our penultimate destination of Bennington/Manchester VT...about halfway there or so, heading east on the NYS Thruway, the snow started, lightly at first, shifting my Jeep into 4wheel drive shortly thereafter became a prudent choice...By the time we got to our room in Vermont, the world had changed into a picture perfect Christmas card, snow-covered covered bridges, hints of orange and gold from the trees crowned by the newly fallen snow...absolutely beautiful, so much so we extended our stay by a day...Good company, Vermont cheddar and crackers and a crackling fire, IMO things don't get much better than that...

    jimHJJ(...One of the best trips I will ever have made...and all quite simply by chance...)
    Hi Jim

    Your post reminded me of my own travelling days in your beautiful country ..... (many years ago!) It really made me visualise it all again - what a great place it is and what a good description of nature you have painted in your post. Funny enough, the mention of Manchester made me put fingers to keyboard as Manchester is our closest big city here in England. Winter is on the way here too. There is a nip in the air and the pointless leaf sweeping exercise will commence once again.

    Peace

    Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

  8. #8
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Sudbury? North Bay?

    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    So, I had to head 350km due north for a business trip. When I left home, it was windy and rainy. As I headed north, the rain turned to wet snow. By the time I was about 250km north, the weather cleared up, but there was a solid covering of snow over everything. The northern pine trees were sparkling in their white wonder. The ground was covered in a blanket of white cotton. And as pretty as it all looked, I couldn't help thinking...damn, I've driven straight into winter and it's not even halloween yet!
    Per chance? Winter can come a bit earlier up there than sounthern Ont.

  9. #9
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Per chance? Winter can come a bit earlier up there than sounthern Ont.
    Good guess. North Bay actually. Funny thing is that the snow was south of North Bay. By the time I actually hit North Bay it was still Fall. It was kinda like a short glimpse of things to come.

    I'm here in North Bay until tomorrow. I can't wait to get home again. After this I have one more trip, to Montreal, scheduled for next month and then I'm done travelling for the balance of 2006. Yay!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •