• 10-30-2006, 05:31 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    I left home and drove straight into winter
    So, I had to head 350km due north for a business trip. When I left home, it was windy and rainy. As I headed north, the rain turned to wet snow. By the time I was about 250km north, the weather cleared up, but there was a solid covering of snow over everything. The northern pine trees were sparkling in their white wonder. The ground was covered in a blanket of white cotton. And as pretty as it all looked, I couldn't help thinking...damn, I've driven straight into winter and it's not even halloween yet!
  • 10-30-2006, 06:38 PM
    jrhymeammo
    We had that in Denver on wednesday/thursday. I was great at night, but turned into slush.:( Fire and Snow really pumps my blood and dilate my eyes.

You know, I used to think PolarBear were like 15 feet long and about 8 feet in heights. Every kids had great experience first time at Zoos. I remember that I was very sad......

-JRA
  • 10-31-2006, 03:38 AM
    basite
    ahhh, winter *enjoys*, let it come, no snow here, only some rain here and there...

lucky bastard

Greetings,
    Basite.
  • 10-31-2006, 06:00 AM
    GMichael
    Thanks for the preview FA. Enjoy the white stuff.

It won't be long before we see it too. Everything was white with frost the other moning. Today they say 70's. Go figure.
  • 10-31-2006, 06:43 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    Nice imagery. Subject sounds like one of Davey's posts. I've always enjoyed mother-nature-induced surreal moments.
  • 10-31-2006, 07:58 AM
    Resident Loser
    Probably...
    ...this time of year, but a few years ago, my wife and I were invited to a wedding being held in small town in western NY outside of Buffalo...We decided to make an event out of it and made plans, at a mid-point in our journey, to do some fall hiking in the Finger Lakes region of the state at Watkins Glen State Park...A bit chilly in the AM, we were down to our coolmax Ts by the time day was done, fleece and woolens secured by the cargo straps on our daypacks...

The next day, at Niagra Falls, it was a short-sleeved shirts and gee-I wish-I'd-worn-shorts, kind of day...The morning after, we headed back east to the town where the ceremony was being held, all gussied-up in our wedding finery...Seasonable weather, simple church ceremony and a very fine reception...stayed that night in a place called the Roycroft Inn, a really nice place built in the heyday of the Arts & Crafts period, furnished In Stickley-style craftsman pieces...Talk about autumn in New York...Small town Americana nestled in picture postcard foliage

The following morning we bid farewell to the other wedding participants and headed toward our penultimate destination of Bennington/Manchester VT...about halfway there or so, heading east on the NYS Thruway, the snow started, lightly at first, shifting my Jeep into 4wheel drive shortly thereafter became a prudent choice...By the time we got to our room in Vermont, the world had changed into a picture perfect Christmas card, snow-covered covered bridges, hints of orange and gold from the trees crowned by the newly fallen snow...absolutely beautiful, so much so we extended our stay by a day...Good company, Vermont cheddar and crackers and a crackling fire, IMO things don't get much better than that...

jimHJJ(...One of the best trips I will ever have made...and all quite simply by chance...)
  • 10-31-2006, 08:43 AM
    Bernd
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...this time of year, but a few years ago, my wife and I were invited to a wedding being held in small town in western NY outside of Buffalo...We decided to make an event out of it and made plans, at a mid-point in our journey, to do some fall hiking in the Finger Lakes region of the state at Watkins Glen State Park...A bit chilly in the AM, we were down to our coolmax Ts by the time day was done, fleece and woolens secured by the cargo straps on our daypacks...

The next day, at Niagra Falls, it was a short-sleeved shirts and gee-I wish-I'd-worn-shorts, kind of day...The morning after, we headed back east to the town where the ceremony was being held, all gussied-up in our wedding finery...Seasonable weather, simple church ceremony and a very fine reception...stayed that night in a place called the Roycroft Inn, a really nice place built in the heyday of the Arts & Crafts period, furnished In Stickley-style craftsman pieces...Talk about autumn in New York...Small town Americana nestled in picture postcard foliage

The following morning we bid farewell to the other wedding participants and headed toward our penultimate destination of Bennington/Manchester VT...about halfway there or so, heading east on the NYS Thruway, the snow started, lightly at first, shifting my Jeep into 4wheel drive shortly thereafter became a prudent choice...By the time we got to our room in Vermont, the world had changed into a picture perfect Christmas card, snow-covered covered bridges, hints of orange and gold from the trees crowned by the newly fallen snow...absolutely beautiful, so much so we extended our stay by a day...Good company, Vermont cheddar and crackers and a crackling fire, IMO things don't get much better than that...

jimHJJ(...One of the best trips I will ever have made...and all quite simply by chance...)

Hi Jim

Your post reminded me of my own travelling days in your beautiful country ..... (many years ago!) It really made me visualise it all again - what a great place it is and what a good description of nature you have painted in your post. Funny enough, the mention of Manchester made me put fingers to keyboard as Manchester is our closest big city here in England. Winter is on the way here too. There is a nip in the air and the pointless leaf sweeping exercise will commence once again.

Peace

Bernd:16:
  • 10-31-2006, 09:12 AM
    Feanor
    Sudbury? North Bay?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    So, I had to head 350km due north for a business trip. When I left home, it was windy and rainy. As I headed north, the rain turned to wet snow. By the time I was about 250km north, the weather cleared up, but there was a solid covering of snow over everything. The northern pine trees were sparkling in their white wonder. The ground was covered in a blanket of white cotton. And as pretty as it all looked, I couldn't help thinking...damn, I've driven straight into winter and it's not even halloween yet!

Per chance? Winter can come a bit earlier up there than sounthern Ont.
  • 10-31-2006, 01:47 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    Per chance? Winter can come a bit earlier up there than sounthern Ont.

Good guess. North Bay actually. Funny thing is that the snow was south of North Bay. By the time I actually hit North Bay it was still Fall. It was kinda like a short glimpse of things to come.

I'm here in North Bay until tomorrow. I can't wait to get home again. After this I have one more trip, to Montreal, scheduled for next month and then I'm done travelling for the balance of 2006. Yay!