Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Suspended
    I want a second one!!! :throws tantrum:

Work that image out of your brain.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

JSE
    Here is another "explanation" of the whole sensor size mess. I was just going to cut and paste the text to make me look smart but you might end up asking questions so......

Here's a link.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0210/02...ensorsizes.asp

One feature I find a must on a digital camera is a through the lens view finder or separate optical view finder. This allows for holding the camera up to your face for better stability and it saves greatly on battery usage by not having to keep the lcd screen on to frame up your shot. Also, I would stay away from the larger LCD screens because you will run through your battery power in no time. If you do find one with an optical VF then this is not as much of an issue.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    My wife bought a Canon compact camera to leave in her purse all the time and a Canon SLR for special occasions. The picture quality is so dramatically different she can't really tolerate the compact camera. It sits unused most of the time while she lugs around the big camera. I doubt the difference has anything to do with bells and whistles. I suspect it's the lens.
    I was told that since SLR camara have bigger lenses, they can capture more light. Don't know how that relate to Sensor size JSE is discussing, but it made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    The biggest difference in the image quality between and DSLR and a P&S compact camera is the size of the sensor. The sensor in a Digital P&S camera is approx. just under 9x7mm. The image sensor for most DLSRS is approx. 24x16mm. The full frame DSLR cameras have sensors roughly the size of a 35mm negative or 36x24mm.
    Thanks for info. My question is what does limit P&S from having a bigger sensors? Size of the lens or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    You can get replacement batteries for the custom type. I have an extra that I keep charged up. They are not hard to carry (just slip it in a pocket). When one dies, I swap it out and then charge it when I get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    One feature I find a must on a digital camera is a through the lens view finder or separate optical view finder. This allows for holding the camera up to your face for better stability and it saves greatly on battery usage by not having to keep the lcd screen on to frame up your shot. Also, I would stay away from the larger LCD screens because you will run through your battery power in no time.
    Good information guys. Thanks.

Suspended
    Do not... I repeat, DO NOT do any self portraits Festus! They'll see the cloud of dust before they see you and not honor the warranty after the lense shatters!!!

Good one

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    One feature I find a must on a digital camera is a through the lens view finder or separate optical view finder. This allows for holding the camera up to your face for better stability and it saves greatly on battery usage by not having to keep the lcd screen on to frame up your shot. Also, I would stay away from the larger LCD screens because you will run through your battery power in no time. If you do find one with an optical VF then this is not as much of an issue.
    That's a great observation, b/r.

It seems to me that the selection of moderately priced cameras with traditional view finders has shrunk a whole lot. That is, to the point where if one insists on the feature, one is limiting one's choice pretty severely.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    That's a great observation, b/r.

It seems to me that the selection of moderately priced cameras with traditional view finders has shrunk a whole lot. That is, to the point where if one insists on the feature, one is limiting one's choice pretty severely.

Yes, a very good obeservation. Unfortunately, viewfinders are becoming a thing of the past for P&S. About the only way to get them now is to go with a "tweener" P&S that is a larger more full featured P&S that has some DLSR qualities.

Suspended
    Yes, a very good obeservation. Unfortunately, viewfinders are becoming a thing of the past for P&S. About the only way to get them now is to go with a "tweener" P&S that is a larger more full featured P&S that has some DLSR qualities.
    Do you mean DSLR Mr. expert?

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    I was told that since SLR camara have bigger lenses, they can capture more light. Don't know how that relate to Sensor size JSE is discussing, but it made sense.
    The lens is part of the issue. Bigger (fast aperture) lenses have larger glass elements so they can capture light more effectively. However, even a smaller element can capture the same amount of light, it just takes longer (longer/slower shutter speed) to do it. That's where DLSR shine. You can have fast aperture lens that can capture light quickly so your shutter speed is faster. This allows you to stop action which is very usefull to sports photographers and wedding photographers. It's also useful for low light. Fast aperture lenses also allow a much narrower depth of field which is helpful is blurring out a background like you see in portraits. I have a Nikon 85 1.4 lens that can render the eyes sharp as a tac and yet the front tip of the nose can be out focus. The field of focus is that narrow. Try that with a P&S.

So, bigger lenses can't really capture more light, they can just capture it quicker or more efficiently. Generally speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Thanks for info. My question is what does limit P&S from having a bigger sensors? Size of the lens or something else.
    A few things. First is price. Bigger sensors mean bigger price. It's hard to justify paying DSLR prices for a P&S. There are a few P&S out that have larger sensors but they are costly and are aimed at a smaller market.

Here is one I have been considering buying.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

Second is the size of the lens. Actually the size of the rear element on the lens. In P&S cameras you have to have a smaller sensor to match up with the small rear lens element. The small rear element can only project an image to a certain size at a certain distance. If you were to put a large sensor behind a small rear lens element the image projected onto the sensor would only take up a small portion of the sensor. The way to correct this is to move the rear element farther away from the sensor but that creates other problems. For one, the camera body would have to be much deeper which kindof defeats the point of a small P&S camera.

A good example is a projection TV system. If you have a 8 foot screen and you put the projector a foot away from it, you get a very small vidoe image. Move it back and the image gets bigger but you also need the room (camera body depth). This is a very simplistic explanation and there are other factors to consider as well.

Hope that clears it up a bit. Feel free to ask any questions. I can talk photography stuff all day.
    Last edited by JSE; 01-29-2009 at 02:35 PM.

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Do you mean DSLR Mr. expert?

Many of the Canon Sure Shots have an Optical VF. We have the A710. It takes nice pics and has a 6x zoom with image stabilization.

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digi...0_reviews.html
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    So what's the verdict Festus? Better hurry, I heard Dollar Riot's getting ready to close a bunch of stores. They can't keep up with Dollar General and Odd Lot's everyday low low prices.

So what's the verdict Festus? Better hurry, I heard Dollar Riot's getting ready to close a bunch of stores. They can't keep up with Dollar General and Odd Lot's everyday low low prices.
    Its good to know you keep tabs on your neighborhood stores

After reading your guys comments and reading many reviews, I might have narrowe3d it down to four:

Panasonic Lumix LZ8 ($129)

Pro: Have widest angle (32m) and longest lesns (6X) of the bunch, and excellent night time/low light capability
    Con: Resolution seem to be a problem with this camera as too many reviewers indicated photo being too soft in details.

Canon Powershot A590 IS ($120)

Pro: Excellent all round camera with 4x optical and View Finder.
    Con: Slightly too bulky.

Sony CyberShot DSC-W120 ($129)

Pro: Excellent day and night time/low light photos. Compact.
    Con: Proprietary Sony Memory Stick storage. Low screen resolution

Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS ELPH ($160)

Pro: ConsumerReprts magazine top rating winner. View Finder
    Con. Most expensive of the bunch

Suspended
    Only an Odd Lots in town. A few pawn shops though.

If it were me Smoke, I'd splurg and pick choice #4. I would.

JSE
    I think you would be happy with any of the four.

If you can stomach a pink Sony, B&H has a demo for $89! and the regular priced pink ones are $109. Granted they are PINK.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ny%20Dsc%20120

Suspended
    ...Granted they are PINK.
    Just like your underware right?

JSE
    Just like your underware right?
    So many responses come to mind. However I will hold off. No need to involve your mother or sister............

Suspended
    Mother's no longer on this earth, and sister is a wacko, so...

Irregardless...

BRING IT!!!

Sister is really you in drag?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

JSE
    Mother's no longer on this earth, and sister is a wacko, so...

Irregardless...

BRING IT!!!

Oh, it's brought'in......

Something so painful for Richie his head will spin for days.

http://beernews.org/2009/01/shiner-1...rator-ale-067/

Suspended
    I'm no longer going to participate in the derailment of this thread.

(Other than to say... only ONE person's allowed to call me Richie, anybody else gets a big can of whoopass open on their sorry... whatever)

JSE

(Other than to say... only ONE person's allowed to call me Richie, anybody else gets a big can of whoopass open on their sorry... whatever)

Richie, Richie, Richie, Richie!

OK Richie-poo.

Suspended

Silly little 10 y/o's.

Festus, when you get your camera, dust off your cowboy hat and send us a pic of yourself!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information