Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

3000 posts for LJ!

Well, I finally hit the big 3000. I wasn't gonna make a big deal about it but it just so happens to be the month of my join date, August. That's 3 years of hanging around this place. Man I gotta get a life

As usual, I'd like to use my 000 post to say thank you to all my AR folks. A lot of you have helped me to make the most of my setup and have put up with a TON of my questions. I was reading some of my first few threads and WOW, who was that guy. I was all over the place. I remember when calibrating my setup meant setting my 3 fronts to +6 and my surrounds to +10

One thing I've learned is that you gotta go out and experience things for yourself at times. Will a amp make my system sound better? Which one should I get? How hard is it to setup the BFD? Should I tweak this? How should I do that? Is it worth the money? Would you do it this way? DIY sub, are you guys crazy? - Does any of those questions sound familiar. I've hammered some of you guys via PM. You now who you are. Thanks for the patience and eventually giving me the push to go out and get my hands dirty.

You know, when I first started posting here, I was going through some bad times. You guys helped me keep my mind off of things and it really helped me out. Watching those classic Lex meltdowns can really get ya laughing again. And don't get me started on GM.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Thanks again to everyone.

Hey LJ!
    Congrats on the big three oh......
    oh... oh....

You have made this place a much more fun place to hang out. And you bring a great deal of information to boot. Thanks for stopping in, and staying.
    Now, who's up for a party?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

That didn't take long to get started!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3000 posts for LJ!-party-lj.jpg  
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I don't remember when exactly, but at some point LJ stopped the asking, and started answering most of the questions. PS3, BluRay, HDMI, Dolby TRU HDSUPERFanatastiX codecs and all that stuff...and he's kept up on a lot of the a/v receiver features. Good thing too.

Ar.com isn't the biggest a/v website, doesn't have the most info, doesn't have the most expensive, esoteric gear owners, and really doesn't have a niche anything, but it's got some of the best online personalities and a very helpful community because of regulars like LJ. I love the fact I can post a question without having to sift through a mine field of posts like avsforums or some other unmentionable audiophile sites.

Anyway, congrats buddy. 3000 posts - we're all better off for it.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Congratulations you glorious beacon of light.

Suspended
    I'm new here so I don't really know much of his history, but nevertheless congrats dude.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    New here?
    Join date Apr 2004, 4000+ posts...Rich, you're a grizzly old vet now....

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    New here?
    Join date Apr 2004, 4000+ posts...Rich, you're a grizzly old vet now....
    (snicker snicker)

He said old.

(heh heh heh heh)

Quote Originally Posted by GM
    Hey LJ!
    Congrats on the big three oh......
    oh... oh....

You have made this place a much more fun place to hang out. And you bring a great deal of information to boot. Thanks for stopping in, and staying.
    Thanks GM....What, I don't get a personal bartender?

Hint: I think that girl from Hitch is cute...can't think of the name dang it.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I don't remember when exactly, but at some point LJ stopped the asking, and started answering most of the questions. PS3, BluRay, HDMI, Dolby TRU HDSUPERFanatastiX codecs and all that stuff...and he's kept up on a lot of the a/v receiver features. Good thing too.

Ar.com isn't the biggest a/v website, doesn't have the most info, doesn't have the most expensive, esoteric gear owners, and really doesn't have a niche anything, but it's got some of the best online personalities and a very helpful community because of regulars like LJ. I love the fact I can post a question without having to sift through a mine field of posts like avsforums or some other unmentionable audiophile sites.

Anyway, congrats buddy. 3000 posts - we're all better off for it.
    Thanks Kex. Yeah that Super TruHD should be coming out next year. Gotta upgrade to HDMI v9.7 to keep up

I try to stay up on certain things. Been spending ALOT of time enjoying my system lately. And I'm not talking BR movies. Been listening to alot of tunes and watching some older DVDs as well. Everything sounds fantastic. It feels great to listen to my setup and know it's at it's best.

Quote Originally Posted by FA
    Congratulations you glorious beacon of light.
    Thank you FA. Or should I just start calling you "really nice" .

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    I'm new here so I don't really know much of his history, but nevertheless congrats dude.
    Ask and you shall receive:
    How did you get into the hobby of HT?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    (snicker snicker)

He said old.

(heh heh heh heh)
    Never mind that knucklehead!

"You're only young once, but you can be immature your entire life."
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    ...Ask and you shall receive:
    I didn't ask for ANYTHING! I'm NOT buying a PSP L.J.! (no, I didn't click the link )

Suspended

For all the other n00bs...

After I got married and moved into my first little apartment, I wanted some music. I went to a Sears type store in the bay area called Wards. My intentions were to buy a all in one unit(CD,Tape,Tuner). I get into the electronics section and didn't know where to start so I asked for help. You see, my world had pretty much consisted of a couple of boomboxes. Anyways, the salesman starts a little speech about buying separate components vs all in one units and gets into surround sound. First apartment = small budget. I left Wards with a open box Panny HTIB (Pro Logic) for $300. I hooked it up to my VCR and WOW. I thought it sounded so good. This was about 8 years ago.

About a year after I got my Panny setup, my wife and I took a little trip to her dad's in AZ. Well I thought I had a nice little setup until he showed me his Pioneer Elite system. We watched Matrix and Saving Private Ryan. My little Panny setup was not a HT. He showed me what a DVD player was and talked about how to set everything up. As soon as we got back to Cali.....ZOOM.....straight to Circuit City. I picked up a JVC AVR and DVD player, Kenwood tape and CD player and a Yamaha speaker setup with a powered sub. My first DVD was The Matrix. I bumped my TV from a 27" to a 36".

I was happy for a while but the little voices started talking to me. I started spending more time at CC and BB and wanted some tower speakers. I replaced my 3 front Yamaha's with Sony towers and a Sony center. And about 2 years after that I upgraded to another JVC AVR and upgraded all my speakers to Sony. I know, bad moves, but I had no clue. After about two years of that setup, I still felt something was missing. I had a buddy who got into HT and he was in love with Energy speakers. He also explained what I should look for in AVR's and quality brands to go with.

About a year ago I started upgrading again little by little. This time around I had a good idea about what to look for. I started with my AVR. I researched and narrowed it down to Denon, Onkyo and HK. Well we know how that ended. I noticed a difference in sound but nothing like night and day. Next I went through a bunch of DVD players. I wanted a player with SACD playback and at the time only Marantz, Samsung and Denon offered it. (Well as far as I knew). We know how that ended. Lastly about 5 months ago I made the best upgrade of all, my speakers. This time I knew to check my options at stores such as Good Guys and Magnolia. I auditioned Boston Acoustics, Klispch and Energy. I had heard Energy at my friend house and liked em, plus the C-series was being replaced by the RC line, so I got my C-series setup at 50% off. A Energy sub got worked into the deal and there you go.

After finding this site and learning soo much, I was able to calibrate my system correctly. The new speakers are still amazing to me. The biggest difference by far came from upgrading to some quality speakers. I've gone through most of my CD collection and DVD collection. It's so crazy, hearing all this stuff I never heard before. I threw a 57" TV in there and I'm one happy camper. So that's my story.
    I use this post to justify my wild spending habits. You can too!

Thanks GM....What, I don't get a personal bartender?

Hint: I think that girl from Hitch is cute...can't think of the name dang it.

Eva Mendes? I'll give her a call to see if she's free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3000 posts for LJ!-evamendes_mazur_5162962_max.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I use this post to justify my wild spending habits. You can too!
    Well the story doesn't end there. I've upgraded most of my system since then.

My 56" JVC (moved to a different room) was replaced with a 60" Sony SXRD. HUGE improvement! Thanks again Ed & Topspeed for putting up with all my questions.

I picked up some used C-7's for a really nice price in my area and moved my C-9's into a different room. I was also finally able to unleash my 15" Titanic. I've said it so many times before but I'll say it again, this sub is a BEAST.

I have finished my DIY acoustic panels and gave them an interesting twist to go along the Asian theme we have throughout our home. My wife loves them.

O yeah and somewhere between all this I picked up a PS3. Can you say Blu-Ray

Thanks to everyone at AR for all the help and advice you have given my over the last year or so. I'm finally able to sit back, throw on some popcorn and enjoy. And yes, it looks and sounds amazing.

Eva said she'll be there. But when I asked her to bartend, she gave me this look.

So then I asked her if there was anything else she could do to help a guy out.

That's when she sat back, relaxed and said that we could count on her.

LJ?
    Are you there?
    I wouldn't keep her waiting too long.

OK settle down GM.

Can someone get a cup of water for this guy.....no no, it's for him to drink.

I was happy with just one but now......

She's cute and all but she can make a good Long Island right

She made it perfectly clear that she doesn't mix drinks. But she'll be more than happy to help you slurp down a few.

I'll check to see if Kex is done with his tender yet.

No worries. Found a couple new girls to help out making drinks. They'll take good care of ya.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3000 posts for LJ!-blagio_huge_bottles.jpg  
    Last edited by GMichael; 08-26-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Yeah, I'll have a block 'n' fall

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Congrats L.J. on reaching the mighty 3,000. You make logging in to AudioReview worth while. But what is all this fuss about HT?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Congrats L.J. on reaching the mighty 3,000. You make logging in to AudioReview worth while. But what is all this fuss about HT?
    Well JM, get your speakers 12' apart, and we will tell you all about it. But 12' is the first rule. After that , it's all down hill.

Congrats LJ. Nice too see another beacon of light.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Thanks JM!

I love my music as much as the next guy, but there's something about a T-Rex stomping across the room that gets me. I can't help it, I LOVE IT!

My last few upgrades have been geared toward improvements in the music area. I like a smooth deep kinda sound for my tunes and the Emotiva/Yammie combo I got going gives me a great balance for HT/music playback

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Well JM, get your speakers 12' apart, and we will tell you all about it. But 12' is the first rule. After that , it's all down hill.

Congrats LJ. Nice too see another beacon of light.
    Thanks GB!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information