Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Our new living room will be open to the dining room & kitchen. This will give us a total room of 600 sqft. I don't know how well my ported12" Infinty, 350w/rms sub will handle that. I use it for more HT than music. Maybe 70/30.
    All depends on how loud you listen to the sub now. Most commercial 10, 12, 15 subwoofers aren't the most efficient in design...I've seen a few older Infinity subs (made by Vifa) (and a lot of car audio subs) in the low 80-85 dB so they need high wattage amps. Don't know about yours though...350 watts sounds like an aweful lot if the woofer is up to it. I would think Infinity is smart enough not put too much power behind your sub. You'll lose some bass reinforcement though, no question about it, but might not need a whole new sub though.

My room now is 480 sq feet or so...I thump along just fine...even my old PW-2100 and PW-2200 had no problems there.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    All depends on how loud you listen to the sub now. Most commercial 10, 12, 15 subwoofers aren't the most efficient in design...I've seen a few older Infinity subs (made by Vifa) (and a lot of car audio subs) in the low 80-85 dB so they need high wattage amps. Don't know about yours though...350 watts sounds like an aweful lot if the woofer is up to it. I would think Infinity is smart enough not put too much power behind your sub. You'll lose some bass reinforcement though, no question about it, but might not need a whole new sub though.

My room now is 480 sq feet or so...I thump along just fine...even my old PW-2100 and PW-2200 had no problems there.
    Geez Kex,

The upgrade bug is calling my name and you shoot me down. I like the sub loud. No, louder! Make that LOUD!!!! I want it to shake the walls. The Infinity does a good job of shaking the walls of a 25 by 14 room. But what happens when it's in a 28 by 25 room?
    I'll need more base right? RIGHT?! When the Polar Express rolls though, I want my neighbors to look for the train.

But really. I do love my base. I like the idea of a sealed sub to get the tighter base. But not sure how much tighter a sealed 15" will be compared to a ported 12".
    I was also looking at the SVS PC-PLUS. Ported, but down to 12 - 16 htz must sound great.

So many great subs. I want them all!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I take it you fellas don't got pictures and nic nacs hanging up. I'm on rattle patrol in the bedroom tonight(GM, head out the gutter). Wifee told me pictures were rattlin' in the hall as well. And that's a 10". Couldn't imagine what a 15" would do. I put rubber bumpers behind the pics where my 12" is and that worked fine.

I had to rattle proof everything last year. I'll be thinking ahead this time. Foam rubber all around.
    My head and the gutter go together like peanut butter & jelly. One can't live without the other.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

GMichael:

Woofer size doesn't contribute to the "tightness" of a sub. So a 15" sealed isn't disadvantaged compared to a 12" ported. In fact, a 12" ported isn't anymore tight than 15" ported (all things equal).
    Tightness really depends more on compliance and excursion. Larger woofers have more excursion, but they also use less of it to produce the same output as a smaller woofer. If anything, they should sound more tight. A lot of bigger subs cheap out though and are really inefficient, needing to use more excursion than the smaller woofers. And ported box sizes are kept as small as WAF allows, these two factors can contribute to compromise that people often mistake for tightness, IMO.

You sound like a great candidate for the 15" Titanic...gobs of bass in a sealed enclosure. You'll get the best of both worlds, and not get the 1 note boominess a lot of $1000 or cheaper 15" subs have.

You sound like a great candidate for the 15" Titanic...gobs of bass in a sealed enclosure. You'll get the best of both worlds, and not get the 1 note boominess a lot of $1000 or cheaper 15" subs have.
    Kex, you run an excellent sales pitch. Hell, put me down for one too.

GMichael:

Woofer size doesn't contribute to the "tightness" of a sub. So a 15" sealed isn't disadvantaged compared to a 12" ported. In fact, a 12" ported isn't anymore tight than 15" ported (all things equal).
    Tightness really depends more on compliance and excursion. Larger woofers have more excursion, but they also use less of it to produce the same output as a smaller woofer. If anything, they should sound more tight. A lot of bigger subs cheap out though and are really inefficient, needing to use more excursion than the smaller woofers. And ported box sizes are kept as small as WAF allows, these two factors can contribute to compromise that people often mistake for tightness, IMO.

Cool, thanks for the endorsment.

Where's that credit card? Ssshhhhhh... Doen't tell wifey. I'll order it while she's back in the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Kex, you run an excellent sales pitch. Hell, put me down for one too.
    Too? Two sounds great. How much base would two give me?

Cool, thanks for the endorsment.

Where's that credit card? Ssshhhhhh... Doen't tell wifey. I'll order it while she's back in the Philippines.
    Ha, I've got all kinds of plans for the HT room while my wife's in Australia for 6 months...

Ha, I've got all kinds of plans for the HT room while my wife's in Australia for 6 months...
    6 months!? But but,... how will you, uh, you know... uhm.. Where will uh...

How is that gonna work for you?

6 months!!!! Nope, not me. No way. And I've been married for 8 years. Good luck!!!!!!

Too? Two sounds great. How much base would two give me?
    If I had a dedicated room and my nearest neighbors were 200 feet away(cough, cough), then heck yeah. Maybe you'll have to wear seat belts

If I had a dedicated room and my nearest neighbors were 200 feet away(cough, cough), then heck yeah. Maybe you'll have to wear seat belts
    Hang on tight everyone. We're gonna watch JP3 tonight. Anyone who may need to take dump should go now before it's too late.

Kex, can't help noticing that you're not a big fan of the EQ that the sub comes with. You like this BFD thing. So tell me, what's the BFD?

Kex, can't help noticing that you're not a big fan of the EQ that the sub comes with. You like this BFD thing. So tell me, what's the BFD?
    There's nothing wrong with the parametric EQ included in the amp on the kits. But it only can dial in and apply one filter, that is equalize one band of the complete spectrum. That's rarely enough.
    There's usually at least 2 points you'll want to apply a cut to, and maybe a boost. The BFD has something like 10 filters per channel (more than you'd need). I use 5 filters in my setup to kill some real nasty room interactions, and the level of precision on the BFD I found to be a good step up on these built in eq's.
    But it's a great feature to throw on a sub amp. My only beef is that the amp could be $20 cheaper or something without it.

A parametric EQ lets you choose what frequency (or range of frequencies) you want to tackle and cut or boost, and then apply whatever level of EQ you need. A bit different than a graphic EQ which has pre-determined bands.

Here's a graph of my results and Woochifer's, before and after using the BFD...notice the huge difference in response. You wouldn't own a speaker with a +/-12 dB response, so why settle for a sub like that?

http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...511#post111511

Thanks Kex. That was very graphic.

I didn't know the sub's PEQ was only for one piont +/- roll off. I can see where that may be helpful but mostly not enough.

Thanks again

Hang on tight everyone. We're gonna watch JP3 tonight. Anyone who may need to take dump should go now before it's too late.
    Yes, now we're talking. Something like this perhaps. Notice the wine glass, flying off the end table....

Yes, now we're talking. Something like this perhaps. Notice the wine glass, flying off the end table....

Oh yes, the old Maxell comercial. I remember when this first came out. Way cool. I think there is someone in the rave recording side that has this as his avitar.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    That ad brings back memories. I still have the set of albums they released to show the quality of the sound using their tape products. If memory serves those speakers were JBL's used in the ad.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    That ad brings back memories. I still have the set of albums they released to show the quality of the sound using their tape products. If memory serves those speakers were JBL's used in the ad.
    I bet you're right. That was around the same time frame that JBL was in their hay day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information