Xbox One Coming in November at $499

Microsoft’s Xbox One will be available in November and will come with a $499.99 price point, the company announced June 10.

The system features a 500 GB hard drive, a Blu-ray Disc drive, built-in WiFi, the new Kinect motion and voice control system, a wireless controller and a free 14-day trial of Xbox Live Gold.

Xbox One will allow owners to record, edit and share gaming moments, and the system will have a bevy of new games released when it’s available.

“With amazing games such as Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse: Son of Rome, Dead Rising 3, Halo Xbox One, Kinect Sports Rivals, Project Spark and Quantum Break, Xbox will continue to lead the industry with the biggest exclusives, and blockbuster franchises that will delight gamers for the next decade and beyond.”, said Phil Spencer, corporate vice president of Microsoft Studios.

Xbox One Coming in November at $499 | Home Media Magazine

There is a lot of controversy connected with the new X-Box. It requires an internet connection to play games, even ones that you buy and have the CD for. The current scheme also makes selling and buying games (2nd hand) virtually impossible. This pretty much kills the used and rental market.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    There is a lot of controversy connected with the new X-Box. It requires an internet connection to play games, even ones that you buy and have the CD for. The current scheme also makes selling and buying games (2nd hand) virtually impossible. This pretty much kills the used and rental market.
    ]
    This is the future trend -- such is the obsession to protect property rights and, as they presume, maximise profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    ]
    This is the future trend -- such is the obsession to protect property rights and, as they presume, maximise profits.
    And collecting data from viewers habits

I be wary of a component that need to be connected to internet to be functional. JoeE's concern might be valid as console's prominent use of the Kinect sensor has been the subject of privacy concerns surrounding its possible use for surveillance to be used for targeted advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    And collecting data from viewers habits

I be wary of a component that need to be connected to internet to be functional. JoeE's concern might be valid as console's prominent use of the Kinect sensor has been the subject of privacy concerns surrounding its possible use for surveillance to be used for targeted advertising.
    Yeah, targeted advertising is the biggest trend of all. And this site is bad one for feeding ads, e.g. TigerDirect. If I visit TigerDirect.ca which I several time a month looking for computer necessities, I'll see an ad here for exactly what I was looking for there. Ad Blocker does get rid of most of these ads, though.

Perhaps I wasn't quite clear.

With the new Xbox you need an internet connection to play a game that you have purchased and have the CD/DVD for. I know that some current games require internet registration to install because I have some. However, needing an active internet connection every time you play that game is something new and IMO a deal breaker. This is all besides the intrusion of the Kinect sensor into one's personal life. Needless to say, I won't be buying a new Xbox.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Yeah, targeted advertising is the biggest trend of all. And this site is bad one for feeding ads, e.g. TigerDirect. If I visit TigerDirect.ca which I several time a month looking for computer necessities, I'll see an ad here for exactly what I was looking for there. Ad Blocker does get rid of most of these ads, though.
    Disable browser's Javascript, and you won't see any ads and AR pages load much faster

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    Perhaps I wasn't quite clear.
    No, you were pretty clear. Ours was just added information

Either way, I still be wary of constand "On" internet connection. God knows what kind of information the machine is sending out.

Yeah I think Microsoft is really screwing up on this one. Deciding on no support for the used game market is stupid and crazy for customer retention reasons among others. I have already talked to some Xbox 360 lovers that are buying the PS4 simply because of this. And I just think its sad that they are trying to take business away from companies that sell used games, there are several business's here in Springfield that that is all they do is sell and buy games,movies and music and to take the ability away from the customer like that is bull. Much less I don't like being told what I can and can't do with software I purchase myself.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

I've been a PC gamer ever since my first 386 processor. Currently I run an Intel i7@3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, 2 x 2TB HDDs and AMD 7970 display card as my gaming PC. I've never owned a game console but was thinking of buying one because of Forza on the Xbox. Microsoft's attitude toward owner/users has made me look only at the PS4 if I decide to go with a game console for this Christmas. So, sadly for me Forza is out.

Thread Information