Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Will prices on PS/3's come down for the holidays?

I am looking to pick up a PS3. If prices are going to come down for the holidays then it may be better to wait. Has anyone heard any news on this?
    Are all their prices locked by the manufacturer? If so, then why wait? If they are not locked, then I'll wait for the dreaded "Black Friday" and fight the crowds once again.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Yeah, me too...My anniversary is coming up soon, and of course year 2 is the Xbox 360 anniversary.
    So, that's created a dilemma for what to get for Christmas...PS3 would do nicely.
    I'll be surprised if they don't cut prices some, or at least sweeten the pot with some goodies thrown in the bundle.
    I'm shocked at how many PS2's they're still selling. At some point they've got to start trying to sell the PS3 at least. I figure this holiday season has to be it. Any longer and they might miss their chance.

Hey GM. EXCELLENT choice in going with the PS3. Not sure about any future deals. The best I know of is the Amazon PS3 + 7 free BR.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=B0009VXAM0

Eventually you will need an HDMI capable AVR to enjoy the full benefits of the PS3, if you are concerned about uncompressed PCM, TrueHD, SACD and all that good stuff. v1.3 is not needed since the PS3 does all the decoding.

One good things is that you will be able to enjoy DD & DTS at a higher bitrate using your current AVR for now.

Thanks,

Anyone know the deal with the 60 vs 80 GB drives? The 80 costs $100 more and comes with racing game. But the 80 does not have the emotion chip? Not sure of the value of that.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    The impression I get here is that people use their PS3's not only for gaming but for Blu-ray movies as well. Isn't the Blu-ray player an add-on item? Did I make a mistake when I built a PC with the horsepower to play the latest 3D PC game titles?

I'm beginning to lean towards blu-ray as well after reading how much s/w is available, but I don't realy care for the game play that the PS3 gives.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread GM, but it seems like going the PS3 route would be a better choice from a pricing standpoint, no?

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Thanks,

Anyone know the deal with the 60 vs 80 GB drives? The 80 costs $100 more and comes with racing game. But the 80 does not have the emotion chip? Not sure of the value of that.
    Well, depends on if you think the game + 20g's is worth the $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Well, depends on if you think the game + 20g's is worth the $$$$

20 Gig, a $50 game, and the loss of some chip that I don't know the funtion of. I was hoping to dig up what this chip does or doesn't do. Tough to choose when I don't know what the differences will be. If it just means that I won't be able to play PS2 games, then I'll go with the 80. If it means more than that, I'll need to know what the "more" is to make a good choice for my needs, or wants.

Tex,

The Blu-ray comes standard on all the PS3 models as far as I know. It's the HD-DVD's that are add on's for the XBOX 360's.

20 Gig, a $50 game, and the loss of some chip that I don't know the funtion of. I was hoping to dig up what this chip does or doesn't do. Tough to choose when I don't know what the differences will be. If it just means that I won't be able to play PS2 games, then I'll go with the 80. If it means more than that, I'll need to know what the "more" is to make a good choice for my needs, or wants.

Tex,

The Blu-ray comes standard on all the PS3 models as far as I know. It's the HD-DVD's that are add on's for the XBOX 360's.
    Well here's a little info. They will both be backwards compatible, just using different methods. I have had no problems playing PS2 & PS1 games on my 60g.

""The current 60 GB model utilizes a hardware and solution for backwards compatibility, namely the Emotion Engine chip. The new 80 GB PS3 will use a software solution for backwards compatibility, similar to that currently found in the PAL model." So there you have it. The Emotion Engine chip will be phased out around August, with the release of the new model. "

Well here's a little info. They will both be backwards compatible, just using different methods. I have had no problems playing PS2 & PS1 games on my 60g.

""The current 60 GB model utilizes a hardware and solution for backwards compatibility, namely the Emotion Engine chip. The new 80 GB PS3 will use a software solution for backwards compatibility, similar to that currently found in the PAL model." So there you have it. The Emotion Engine chip will be phased out around August, with the release of the new model. "
    Thanks LJ,

Sense I don't own any PS2 games, I won't worry about that. Think I'll opt for the 80 Gig. I would have bought that game anyhow. A lot of people are switching out their 20 Gig drives for 160 already. With the extra 20, it may take me longer to need an upgrade and maybe a larger one will be available at that time.

Now, If we could just find out about any pricing changes that may be coming up in November, life would be good. Where's Wooch? Is that baby keeping him busy again?

Thanks LJ,

Sense I don't own any PS2 games, I won't worry about that. Think I'll opt for the 80 Gig. I would have bought that game anyhow. A lot of people are switching out their 20 Gig drives for 160 already. With the extra 20, it may take me longer to need an upgrade and maybe a larger one will be available at that time.

Now, If we could just find out about any pricing changes that may be coming up in November, life would be good. Where's Wooch? Is that baby keeping him busy again?
    I've had my PS3 for almost a year and my 60g is holding up fine. I picked up a 500g HD though, which is sitting in my office and I just stream to my PS3. The HD was like $149 or something like that. I've been streaming wirelessly and it holds up pretty well. Very few connection drops.

I've read that some people are taking USB powered HD's and just hooking it to one of the PS3's USB ports for quick extra storage.

I've had my PS3 for almost a year and my 60g is holding up fine. I picked up a 500g HD though, which is sitting in my office and I just stream to my PS3. The HD was like $149 or something like that. I've been streaming wirelessly and it holds up pretty well. Very few connection drops.

I've read that some people are taking USB powered HD's and just hooking it to one of the PS3's USB ports for quick extra storage.
    Thanks LJ,

I guess I still have some time to decide.

Forum Regular
    I have mine wireless too. It makes it so much easier to configure with the way my room is. To answer the orginal question, I really hope they drop in price So I can get one for my nephew for Christmas.

New PS3 starter pack unveiled
    Rythrine - contributor
    Published: 30 minutes ago | News | TGS 2007 | PlayStation 3 Info Report

The new pack includes the 60Gb PS3, two Sixaxis controllers, Resistance: Fall of Man, MotorStorm and new addition Heavenly Sword, which made its debut on the charts this week at number seven.

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-69056.aspx

The new pack includes the 60Gb PS3, two Sixaxis controllers, Resistance: Fall of Man, MotorStorm and new addition Heavenly Sword, which made its debut on the charts this week at number seven.

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-69056.aspx
    Throw in the 5 free BR's and looks like you got yourself a deal

I think stores are locked into "minimum advertised price" agreements. One way that chains like BB and CC get around the MAP agreements is to offer up gift cards or throw in things like movies and accessories. With the PS3, it's a tricky balancing act, because the prices on the standalone Blu-ray players are due to take a tumble.

I know that Sony has a huge Blu-ray promotion coming up in conjunction with their Spidey 3 release, but I have no idea where the PS3 fits in with those plans.

The rumors have been that Sony would lower the price on the 80GB model to $500 once the supplies on the 60GB model run out. But, a couple of weeks ago I read that Sony had restocked the 60GB model, which keeps the price on the 80GB model at $600 for now. At $500, I'm considering the PS3 just to run it as a wireless media center. The only potential obstacle is that I think the client software cannot run on a Mac.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

It looks like they are putting a package together to help them sell out the rest of their 60G units. It includes 3 games and two wireless controlers.
    So, is it better to jump on this package as soon as it is available, or wait to see what they do with the 80's once the 60's are done. Also, looks like a new 40G version is coming out as well, to be priced in the 400 range.
    So much to choose from.

It looks like they are putting a package together to help them sell out the rest of their 60G units. It includes 3 games and two wireless controlers.
    So, is it better to jump on this package as soon as it is available, or wait to see what they do with the 80's once the 60's are done. Also, looks like a new 40G version is coming out as well, to be priced in the 400 range.
    So much to choose from.
    Details.....details......Come on man, just pull the freakin' trigger

Details.....details......Come on man, just pull the freakin' trigger
    So far, it's all just been talk. I haven't seen the new 60G bundle or the 40G for sale anywhere. This is info released just yesterday. I don't know when it will happen.

Well if the 40g doesn't come fully loaded with built in wireless and digital card slots; I wouldn't bother with it.

So far, it's all just been talk. I haven't seen the new 60G bundle or the 40G for sale anywhere. This is info released just yesterday. I don't know when it will happen.
    Agreed, it indeed is just talk right now. I read in the WSJ yesterday that Sony had a press conference, and many reporters and analysts were expecting them to announce the price drop at that time. Unfortunately it never happened... Sony talked about something completely different, leaving a lot of folks scratching their heads and disappointed.

This is not to imply that Sony is *not* going to drop their prices... only that it really is speculation at this point, and they have not done anything yet.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    They are gonna have to do something if sales # continue to be as crappy vs 360 as they were in August. Even after the mighty $100 "drop" (IE sell the 60GB until out of stock sale) the PS3 managed a measly 130,000 units.

PS2 sold 202,000 units, and the
    XBOX 360 sold 276,000

Game developers are very happy to build for the 360....PS3, not so much...

Madden sales for the 360- $897,000
    For August PS3-$336,000

And on and on. The PS3 continues to suck wind and Sony cant get their head out of their asses. Their "Home" (the console answer to Second Life) savior just got pushed back to '08, and they continue to lack innovative and fun games. The massive hyped Lair game can't garner more than 5/10 on ANY game rating board, and Warhawk is online ONLY. Sucks for those who don't have broadband and bought the game...ooops.

And September will be a blood bath for Sony...I predict that MS will at a minimum 2.5X outsell the PS3. Little game called Halo3. MS is estimating $200 MILLION in 1 day (September 25) sales.

And now Sony has announced that Rumble will be back. Too bad you have to buy a new controller, and Sony has said it will be no different than the PS2 version. Remeber this is the company that said that Rumble was so last gen that they didn't need to have it....hahahaha

Enjoy your PS3 as a "media" player, cause there isn't much else to do with it. I say this as I am streaming music from my laptop onto my receiver via the 360. After watching a HD movie DL, and playing games.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    They are gonna have to do something if sales # continue to be as crappy vs 360 as they were in August. Even after the mighty $100 "drop" (IE sell the 60GB until out of stock sale) the PS3 managed a measly 130,000 units.

XBOX 360 sold 276,000

For August PS3-$336,000

And on and on. The PS3 continues to suck wind and Sony cant get their head out of their asses. Their "Home" (the console answer to Second Life) savior just got pushed back to '08, and they continue to lack innovative and fun games. The massive hyped Lair game can't garner more than 5/10 on ANY game rating board, and Warhawk is online ONLY. Sucks for those who don't have broadband and bought the game...ooops.

And September will be a blood bath for Sony...I predict that MS will at a minimum 2.5X outsell the PS3. Little game called Halo3. MS is estimating $200 MILLION in 1 day (September 25) sales.

And now Sony has announced that Rumble will be back. Too bad you have to buy a new controller, and Sony has said it will be no different than the PS2 version. Remeber this is the company that said that Rumble was so last gen that they didn't need to have it....hahahaha

Enjoy your PS3 as a "media" player, cause there isn't much else to do with it. I say this as I am streaming music from my laptop onto my receiver via the 360. After watching a HD movie DL, and playing games.
    Wow....having a bad huh. Sorry 'bout that......I'm sure it'll get better

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef

XBOX 360 sold 276,000

For August PS3-$336,000

I did a bit of research before I decided on the PS3. The 360 may have more games, but the PS3 still has more games than I'll have time to play. And more and more will keep coming out. I'll be playing games on the PS3 many years after your 360 has been returned over and over again for repairs.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    I'll be playing games on the PS3 many years after your 360 has been returned over and over again for repairs.
    Been repaired once over a year ago. Never had a problem since. Took 1 week from start to finish. MS paid Next-Day shipping both ways, and it didn't cost me a cent. They sent me a new factory sealed box, and extended the warrenty from 1 to 3 years. Also extended my warrenty from the date of shipment of the replacement unit.(Not the original purchase date, that was already 11 months old)

If you consider that a bad deal, I guess thats on you. For me, it was handled quite professionally, and quickly. In fact, I wish all electronic repair issues were handled as well.

Enjoy your PS3.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Well, can't say I share GB's love-affair with MS, but he's right about Halo 3 likely leading to another rough quarter for Sony and PS3. Those guys aren't even trying, it's like they're waiting for Xbox 360 and Wii to lose some steam before they try and compete.
    My bro's 360 crapped out, but once MS extended the warranty he was fixed up...the few months of downtime was pretty crappy but MS finally realized they had a desperate situation on their hands and needed to damage control. Good on them.

With Wii outselling both combined and luring in a totally new kind of "gamer", it's conceivable that Sony could continue to finish last for the foreseeable future.
    At some point they're going to have to wake up or just accept wasting a great opportunity...can't say it'll break my heart to see them sweat a bit.

I suspect I'll end up with all 3 eventually, but Halo 3 is enough for me to pull the trigger on the 360 now... drrrooooooolll....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information