M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

What!!! Oppo BD-P83 being discontinued

Now this really is a surprise. Just a week after kicking the BD-P80 to the curb, Oppo has announced that the BD-P83 has bit the dust as well. Now, did anyone see that coming?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5216
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Oppo has announced that the BD-P83 has bit the dust as well. Now, did anyone see that coming?
    As an Oppo owner, I applaud their recognition that better exists requiring their engineers to refine the design.

rw

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Wasn't the BD-P93 released at the same price point as the 83 with all the same features plus wi-fi? So, yeah, I guess I kind of saw it coming. Why would anyone still buy the 83?

Charm Thai™
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Why would anyone still buy the 83?
    People like me who don't use HDMI for the audio signal. I want the dedicated stereo outputs of the 83.

Suspended
    Are they going on sale? I was planning on getting one by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060
    People like me who don't use HDMI for the audio signal. I want the dedicated stereo outputs of the 83.
    Sorry. I thought they were the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060
    Supposedly there is a SE version for the BDP-93 in the plans as well. This unit will surely have analog outs.
    It's a disease, really.
    -----------------------------------
    Sony
    CDP-X77ES, CDP-X55ES, TA-N90ES, TA-E90ES, 333ESXII
    Denon
    AVP-A1HDCI, POA-A1HDCI, DVD-5910CI, DVD-2500BTCI
    Oppo
    BDP-83
    Sennheiser
    HD800
    Definitive Technology
    BP2000TL, C/L/R 3000, BPX, BP1X
    Pioneer
    Pro-151FD

Suspended
    From a review of the 93

"We noticed the lack of dedicated stereo outputs now - why is that?

Oppo realized that the intent of the player didn't warrant the use of a dedicated stereo output anymore. For now, users can use the built-in bass management to fold the 7.1 analogue audio signal down to stereo for use in a Zone 2 setting, for example."

Does that mean that you can still use some form of Black and Reds to output the Audio if you want to use it for a CDP with stereo system?

So forgive my ignorance as I'm still learning and this stuff, although I find it interesting, tends to confuse me. I'm trying to understand...

Why is this an issue? How would it affect your set-up?

Wouldn't the speakers go into your reciever/amp and the amp into the BR player? Why is it an issue that the BR player doesn't have stereo outputs? Does the OPPO have a built in amp or am I missing something?

Well...obviously I'm missing something. Help!

Oh wait! I think I have it.

On my set-up at home, my speakers all go into my reciever, but from my receiver I have analog cables from the CD slot in my reciever into my BR because I also use it as a CD player. Then I have a coaxial cable also from my receiver into my BR for movies.

Is it these CD analog outputs that are missing?

Suspended
    So forgive my ignorance as I'm still learning and this stuff, although I find it interesting, tends to confuse me. I'm trying to understand...

Why is this an issue? How would it affect your set-up?

Wouldn't the speakers go into your reciever/amp and the amp into the BR player? Why is it an issue that the BR player doesn't have stereo outputs? Does the OPPO have a built in amp or am I missing something?

Well...obviously I'm missing something. Help!
    The unit is a universal player, which means it plays SACD, HDCD, CD, CDR as well as DVD/BluRay.

I planned to use the HDMI to feed the HT portion of my setup and use the Analog outputs to feed to my Stereo setup in order to use it for music. The SE version has a beefed up audio section just for this but I do not want to spend the extra $400.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    The unit is a universal player, which means it plays SACD, HDCD, CD, CDR as well as DVD/BluRay.

I planned to use the HDMI to feed the HT portion of my setup and use the Analog outputs to feed to my Stereo setup in order to use it for music. The SE version has a beefed up audio section just for this but I do not want to spend the extra $400.

Okay, so it's basically like I described it in my second post above, comparing it to my own system.

Suspended
    Okay, so it's basically like I described it in my second post above, comparing it to my own system.
    Yeah, pretty much the same thing but I have two separate systems that I plan to feed from same player just for the versatility.

I guess I'm gonna have to snatch one up before they are gone unless the question I asked above about the 7.1 normalized down to stereo works the same way.

Suspended
    Just talked to Oppo. They answered my question above. You can configure the 7.1 rca outputs to be 2 channel stereo but at a small loss in sound quality over the dedicated outputs on the 83.

The 93 is not going to be out until late 10 or early 11.

Now I'm stuck flipping the coin to but one of the last 83s available or wait for the 93. I really don't care about netfilx or other streaming capabilities now but who knows what the future will dictate.

The 93 also uses NTFS drives instead of the FAT drives in the 83.

Great review of the 93 here
    http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/t...ay/oppo-bdp-93

Or you could wait until the 93 comes out and see if you can pick up a used 83 from someone who is upgrading.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    As an Oppo owner, I applaud their recognition that better exists requiring their engineers to refine the design.

rw
    better always exists.
    Sooner or later you have to bite the bullet, pull the cord, fire the starter pistol...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information