Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Walmart Sub $99 HD DVD Toshiba HD A2 Walmart Deal 11/2/07

Big news to all HD DVD prospective buyers (including current BR users who want to watch the rest of the movies available on HD DVD only)...

Walmart has outdone themself. This Friday (11/2) they have a special from 8 AM to Noon that all Toshiba HD DVD HD-A2 players are being sold for $98.87!

Guess who is returning their Amazon order today and then lining up at Walmart tomorrow to buy a few for friends and family at the holidays. ;-)

This is an amazing price, so all you fence sitters can stop waiting now (because the risk at that price is pretty low and you still get a pretty good DVD player to boot).

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they also are selling sub $15.00 HD DVDs during the same sale...

Link is below:

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?secti...e117144-lLink1

---Dave
    Last edited by drseid; 11-01-2007 at 03:33 AM.
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Killer deal. Makes me wonder what the prices will be in January.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I'm guessing that old stock is non-existant by January and the prices are higher.
    Though I remember last year we saw them on for $175 Canadian on blowout (think it was the A1 model).

Damn, we don't get that deal up my way and I'm nowhere near a US Walmart that caries them (I called 4 in Maine). I'm guessing these are in major centers only

I have some uncles in Chicago and Atlanta...but they have jobs between 8 am and noon...

Still gonna wait it out I think - eventually there'll be better players for cheaper and I'll have a better idea where the industry's going. 2007's been a mediocre movie year for my tastes so there's not a lot of titles I'm in a hurry to get in HD. Spiderman, Transformers, and 300 possibly being the exceptions. VOD is satisfying my HD needs for now...

Too busy playing xbox 360 anyway

Good deal for a few of you guys here though.

Well, looks like I'll be going neutral a little earlier than I expected. For 1 hun, I can't pass it up. It'll make a nice temp unit for my main system, and I'll move it to another room if I ever upgrade.

Just a little extra to sweeten the deal?

http://thelookandsoundofperfect.com/...ption_form.pdf
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

How do we find out of the store near us is supporting this sale?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hhmmnn. I wonder if this means that WM is getting rid of old stock or getting rid of all of its HD-DVD players. Either way, I'll probably pop in and see if I can't snag one---I already own some HDs and it wouldn't hurt to have an extra player.

...still won't stop me from getting a Blu-Ray though.

Is this "deja vu"... anyone remember last years Panasonic plasma that Wally World priced at $999.99 and everyone had to price match. Only thing...they had limited amounts, but everyone else was crushed and nobody made any money. This was great for the consumer, but terrible for the electronic economy. Many businesses were destroyed because of this. It sounds very attractive, but when it is over...nobody wins! I hope that I'm wrong, and that the software is the place that margin is gained.

Best Buy wasn't far behind. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....1583233 25814

CC should be next.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVO
    Is this "deja vu"... anyone remember last years Panasonic plasma that Wally World priced at $999.99 and everyone had to price match. Only thing...they had limited amounts, but everyone else was crushed and nobody made any money. This was great for the consumer, but terrible for the electronic economy. Many businesses were destroyed because of this. It sounds very attractive, but when it is over...nobody wins! I hope that I'm wrong, and that the software is the place that margin is gained.

Wow, where to begin.

1. No one "Had to match Wal-Mart". Retailers that stocked the same model had the option to match, but no one was forced to match. I guess that margins on that product were squeezed, but that 1 specific model didn't affect the entire market.

2. As a consumer I don't give a rats ass about the "electronic economy". I will pay what I feel is fair. I don't shop at Wal-Mart, nor do I shop at boutique electroic shops. If I had the money I probably would shop the latter, but only for speakers and higher end gear not sold at mass retailers. But then again, maybe not. I was kinda soured on the "boutique" idea when I solicited a bid to wire up my home under construction. No drywall up, just sticks. Needed 3 rooms wired up, less than 500' of wire for the total job. Nothing fancy, no equipment. Just labor, and wire for hanging. $3000 for the bid. I passed.

If this is the reason small shops are going out of business then perhaps they SHOULD go away.

3. Business' are not "destroyed" by Wal-Mart. There are plenty of ways to beat the giant. If you want to do it on price, you probably will lose. If you do it on service, and don't expect triple digit margins, you will probably be ok. No one HAS to stock the same models as everyone else.

Downward price pressue IS good for consumers. It's the American Way.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Thanks Beef. You'd think sometimes from the talk 'round these parts that this was a country of farmer's markets, Amish cabinet makers, and lemonade stands being stomped out by the venal and vile Big Business Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man...

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Thanks Beef. You'd think sometimes from the talk 'round these parts that this was a country of farmer's markets, Amish cabinet makers, and lemonade stands being stomped out by the venal and vile Big Business Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man...
    Yeah, everyone hates Wal-Mart until they sell something ya want....then we all go crawling back with our heads held in shame...
    Good luck to all you shoppers...and if anyone happens to buy an extra HD-DVD player tomorrow, PM me

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Yeah, everyone hates Wal-Mart until they sell something ya want....then we all go crawling back with our heads held in shame...
    Good luck to all you shoppers...and if anyone happens to buy an extra HD-DVD player tomorrow, PM me
    I just got back from BB. Their website said that one of our local locations had stock. I ordered it on-line for in-store pick-up.

They didn't really have any.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I just got back from BB. Their website said that one of our local locations had stock. I ordered it on-line for in-store pick-up.

They didn't really have any.

What, so you got screwed?

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    What, so you got screwed?
    Without so much as even a peck on the cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Without so much as even a peck on the cheek.
    I'm starting to think my Walmart may not have any either. I've only seen one player there in the past. Not 2 or 3.....just 1. Sitting on a little shelf all by itself

They getcha with the ol "while supplies last" comment.

They can keep it now. Still waiting on the PS3 deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Wow, where to begin.

1. No one "Had to match Wal-Mart". Retailers that stocked the same model had the option to match, but no one was forced to match. I guess that margins on that product were squeezed, but that 1 specific model didn't affect the entire market.

2. As a consumer I don't give a rats ass about the "electronic economy". I will pay what I feel is fair. I don't shop at Wal-Mart, nor do I shop at boutique electroic shops. If I had the money I probably would shop the latter, but only for speakers and higher end gear not sold at mass retailers. But then again, maybe not. I was kinda soured on the "boutique" idea when I solicited a bid to wire up my home under construction. No drywall up, just sticks. Needed 3 rooms wired up, less than 500' of wire for the total job. Nothing fancy, no equipment. Just labor, and wire for hanging. $3000 for the bid. I passed.

If this is the reason small shops are going out of business then perhaps they SHOULD go away.

3. Business' are not "destroyed" by Wal-Mart. There are plenty of ways to beat the giant. If you want to do it on price, you probably will lose. If you do it on service, and don't expect triple digit margins, you will probably be ok. No one HAS to stock the same models as everyone else.

Downward price pressue IS good for consumers. It's the American Way.
    So laying off people is what you concider the american way of life...

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ikesAgain.aspx

I don't, and refuse to shop at Wally World. I used to be a custom designer years ago...now I shop at either Best Buy, Sound Advice, or Circuit City for my electronic needs. I don't really need help from any sales people, so I'll just pick my product and move on. But to shop at a place that purposely is trying to damage the balance of the local economy...I don't know???

I don't, and refuse to shop at Wally World. I used to be a custom designer years ago...now I shop at either Best Buy, Sound Advice, or Circuit City for my electronic needs. I don't really need help from any sales people, so I'll just pick my product and move on. But to shop at a place that purposely is trying to damage the balance of the local economy...I don't know???
    Just say no to Best Buy!

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar

Oh, I see Mr. Holier Than Thou, you musta missed the Memo from Circuit City about 5 months ago when they FIRED thousands of their "Top Selling" sales staff. Reason: "They Make Too Much". But don't feel bad for them, they were all offered the "option" to re-apply at minimum wage, and crippled commision rates. Now that's FAMILY!!!!!

http://seekingalpha.com/article/34133

Good thing you "don't need sales people", another economy, all American Value there!

And, as I stated in my post, I DONT SHOP WALMART. But you musta been too exicted thinking about getting your next deal at the electronics store that hands out pink slips like candy to notice.

So when you get your head either out of the sand, or your ass, let me know. Then we will talk about the "Wal-Mart Effect".
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I'm starting to think my Walmart may not have any either. I've only seen one player there in the past. Not 2 or 3.....just 1. Sitting on a little shelf all by itself
    Many stores have stacks of them (and pictures are all over the web). That said, every store may have different inventory. I am hoping mine in Northern Virginia has plenty tomorrow morning... We will see.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Oh, I see Mr. Holier Than Thou, you musta missed the Memo from Circuit City about 5 months ago when they FIRED thousands of their "Top Selling" sales staff. Reason: "They Make Too Much". But don't feel bad for them, they were all offered the "option" to re-apply at minimum wage, and crippled commision rates. Now that's FAMILY!!!!!

http://seekingalpha.com/article/34133

Good thing you "don't need sales people", another economy, all American Value there!

And, as I stated in my post, I DONT SHOP WALMART. But you musta been too exicted thinking about getting your next deal at the electronics store that hands out pink slips like candy to notice.

So when you get your head either out of the sand, or your ass, let me know. Then we will talk about the "Wal-Mart Effect".
    I don't think that I'm holier than thou, I just do my own research...I just don't get sold (hey I was in sales), I like to make my own assessment on the products.

Circuit City will always try to keep up w/ the Jones'. Hence Best Buy! When they Layed the 1st group off five years ago for the same reason. It is to reduce cost, and lower quality of service. Unfortunetely, their stock quote has always gone down.

Right now, I will probably get it at Sound Advice...and hope that they have it in stock. I'm sure that they will price match. It's everywhere now! I would rather give them the $$$

nightflier
    Well, if you change your mind after buying it, these are selling for $150-ish on eBay, heck you could double your money. If you throw in the 5 free DVDs from GM's link, you certainly won't loose any money. If anything, you'll get to see 5 movies in all their HD glory and still come out ahead. If you don't mind shopping at Wallmart, it's pretty hard to pass this one up.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Well, if you change your mind after buying it, these are selling for $150-ish on eBay, heck you could double your money. If you throw in the 5 free DVDs from GM's link, you certainly won't loose any money. If anything, you'll get to see 5 movies in all their HD glory and still come out ahead. If you don't mind shopping at Wallmart, it's pretty hard to pass this one up.
    So I wonder if this is A. desperate attempt to equal out the battle or B. a smart move to integrate most people into the format and attract Trailer Bob into the HD format to watch on his matching 42" Fony HDTV. Yes, I said Fony.

Cool

People can be so myopic.
    A player is just a small part of an investment in a format.
    I have spent over 1500$ in various DVD players over the years and thousands in
    dvds.
    Makes a "great " dvd player, so does my computer.
    What happens a year or so down the road when theres no HDDVD to be found,
    you finally caved and got a blu ray (because nothing was on HDDVD) and this thing is just taking up shelf space?
    BTW what kexodisc was saying about VOD, well, kex, welcome to the future, while these two nimrod format groups are duking it out more and more are participating is the biggest sea change since the advent of digital, the death of rental stores.
    Its just so much easier to hit a button and order a movie, why go out and rent one?
    This is limited now but wont be for long.
    AND finally has no one noticed that the Blu Ray group is absent from this spree of cost cutting? Do they seem concerned? Doesnt the fact that there is a chasm of silence
    coming from their side seem a bit ominous?
    They don't care about a 99$ HDDVD player, the market for those is the same guys who bought "discovision" (RCA'S capacitance based videodisc player) during closeout because it was "such a great deal" in the mid eighties.
    They don't have to sell their player for firesale prices, because they are the future
    and they know it.
    Why spend 99 bucks on something just to see transformers?
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information