Panasonic Introduces Industry's First Rear-speaker Wireless-ready Home Theater System

New Audio Systems Offer Incredible Home Theater Sound With Wireless Ready Convenience and Flexibility

SECAUCUS, NJ (April 11, 2005)-- Panasonic is bringing home theater into the wireless age with a line of home theater systems that are upgradeable to rear speaker wireless* as well as wireless headphones specifically designed to deliver private surround sound.

Having a surround-sound home theater system used to mean running unsightly wires across the floor, under the carpet, or having to thread wires behind walls or in the ceiling... a real problem for apartment or condo dwellers who can't easily access these areas. The new Panasonic systems answer the demand for high-quality home theater components that deliver a true surround-sound experience, without the need to run wires between the main unit and surround speakers.

Models SC-HT730, SC-HT830V and SC-HT930 have been designed to interface with Panasonic's new SH-FX50 rear speaker transmitter and receiver modules so consumers can upgrade to a wireless rear speaker set-up whenever they choose. Using 2.4 GHz frequency hopping spread spectrum technology, audio signals are sent wirelessly from the home theater system directly to the rear speakers via the modules. For private listening, Panasonic's new RP-WH5000 wireless home theater headphones offer the benefits of full home theater audio without disturbing other family members... or next-door neighbors.

"These new models' wireless capability makes it easy for the average user to quickly set up and enjoy the benefits of a home theater system, without the problems associated with running wires from an entertainment system to rear speakers," said Jim Kiczek, national marketing manager, Panasonic Home Audio Division. "They offer the consumer the flexibility to use a traditional surround-sound set-up or to easily upgrade to a wireless rear speaker system at any time."

In addition to being wireless-ready, the new systems contain a multitude of advanced capabilities. For starters, the SC-HT730 and SC-HT930 feature a super-slim five-disc DVD/CD Changer, while the SC-HT830V is an integrated five-disc DVD/CD home theater system with Hi-Fi VCR.

All models use a fully featured progressive scan DVD player that accepts multiple video and audio disc formats for a wide variety of entertainment options: DVD video, DVD-Audio, CD-R/CD-RW(1), MP3(2), WMA(3), DVD-R(4), +R(4), +RW(4) and DVD-RAM(4). In addition, all models include built-in DTS and Dolby Pro-Logic II and Dolby Digital decoders.

Also common to all three systems is a new H. Bass (harmonized bass) technology, which allows the user to feel the bass for a more dramatic home theater experience. Add this to a new "Dual Unit" active subwoofer, which widens the total woofer surface area for improved bass, and the result is powerful bass reproduction.

All three systems also include front tower speakers that are height adjustable and wall mountable, giving the user a variety of layout options. The SC-HT930 comes with deluxe tower speakers and 360-degree sound. This system also includes a diamond-shaped subwoofer, which adds to its design appeal.

The new RP-WH5000 wireless headphones are able to reproduce two-channel stereo, 5.1 channel DTS surround sound and Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS-ES, sent via infrared digital audio signals from the receiver. The user can roam up to 30 feet from the headphones' recharging base while still enjoying a clear signal. The headphones are automatically turned on when placed on one's head and turned off when removed. The headphones include a built-in Ni-MH rechargeable battery and a convenient recharging stand. On a full charge, they provide up to 20 hours of continuous listening. The RP-WH5000 has a 20Hz-20kHz frequency response and uses 40mm drivers.

Panasonic Wireless-Ready Home Theater Products

MODEL FEATURES AVAILABILITY SRP**
    SH-FX50 Wireless Home Theater Receiver Rear wireless ready speaker kit; Operates on 2.4 GHz frequency. Now shipping $199.95
    SC-HT730 Home Theater System with five-disc DVD/CD changer H. Bass, Dual Unit Active Subwoofer with High Output Power: 800W, 10% THD (470W, 1% THD); height adjustable front tower speakers. Now shipping $349.95
    SC-HT830V Home Theater System with five-disc DVD changer/VCR H. Bass, Dual Unit Active Subwoofer with High Output Power: 800W, 10% THD (470W, 1% THD); height adjustable front tower speakers. Now shipping $399.95
    SC-HT930 Home Theater System with five-disc DVD/CD changer H. Bass, Dual Unit Active Subwoofer with new "Diamond Design"; High Output Power: 1000W (10% THD) (580W, 1% THD); deluxe height adjustable front tower speakers with 360-degree sound. Now shipping $499.95
    RP-WH5000 Wireless Home Theater Headphones 20Hz-20kHz frequency response; 40mm drivers; two-channel stereo, 5.1 channel DTS surround sound and Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS-ES; Ni-MH rechargeable battery and recharging stand. Now shipping $249.99

About Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company
    Based in Secaucus, N.J., Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company is a Division of Panasonic Corporation of North America, the principal North American subsidiary of Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co. Ltd. (NYSE: MC) and the hub of Panasonic's U.S. marketing, sales, service and R&D operations. Information about Panasonic products is available at www.panasonic.com. Additional company information for journalists is available at www.panasonic.com/pressroom or through the company's toll-free fax-back system at 888-734-7490.

1 These units can play CD-DA format audio CD-R and CD-RW. It may not be able to play some CD-R or CD-RW due to the condition of the recording.
    2 For contents recorded on CD-R/RW media from CDs for your personal use. Playability may vary depending on contents and discs. MP3 audio decoding technology licensed from Fraunhofer IIS and Thomson multimedia.
    3 WMA (Windows Media Audio), offering high-quality music in a small file size, is a compression format developed by Microsoft Corporation to be played in its Windows Media Player.
    4 Discs recorded and finalized on DVD video recorders/cameras.
    DTS is a trademark of DTS Technology, LLC.
    Dolby Digital is a registered trademark of Dolby Laboratories Licensing Corp.

*Rear Speaker Wireless refers to a connection between the main unit and surround speakers. The rear speakers need to be connected to each other.
    **Suggested retail price. All prices are in U.S. dollars. Specifications are subject to change without notice.

I think this is the wave of the future.

I mean just getting rid of cables is reason enough. I'm sure this technology will bud in the near future with other following suit. Regards, Paul.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

What's going to drive the rear speakers?

Surely they will have to be plugged into the wall which means you'll have to have SOME wires anyway.

2.4ghz is a pretty busy part of the spectrum too. Just about everyone on my block has a 2.4ghz phone, or wireless network going. I've got BOTH, and I wonder how much that would affect fidelity with a setup like this.

I agree on one point though; The wireless age is coming up fast. Heck, I can even start my car remotely now!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

I would also question the audio quality of such a setup. The press release made no mention of whether this is a digital or analog connection. It also mentioned in the fine print that the speakers still need to be wired to the receiving device. And I have no idea whether the wireless receiver will double as an amplifier, or if the surround speakers need to be self-powered. The setup eliminates the need to snake surround speaker wires across the room, but it seems to make the setup messier at the backside as well.

Regardless, as geoffcin mentioned, the 2.4 GHz range is already crowded with wireless phones, networking devices, and yes, microwave ovens using that general frequency range. At home, I had to switch to a 5.8 GHz phone because the microwave used to occasionally bump me off the line or create other havoc with the signal. I would not want the same thing to happen with my surround sound as well.

Wireless is on its way, but with home theater I think that will take another big leap in wireless bandwidth (to support uncompressed digital signals) as well as persuading people to abandon their existing investments in amplifiers and processors in favor of active monitors with built in DACs. To a large degree, the American market has stubbornly resisted active monitors, and that might be the stumbling point to adopting wireless with home theaters.

room corrected wireless active monitors are a fantasy of mine.

God, I am a nerd.

I love my wires. Sometimes I stroke them gently and whisper sweet thoughts to them.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    God dont teach Hershon that. LOL
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    God dont teach Hershon that. LOL
    Don't worry, I won't.

eqm
    given the market this is developed for, and having listened to MANY Panasonic HTIB products, it'll probably be a great seller for those wanting some "surround around". gearheads will always use wires in their setups, and those who simply don't care about great sound (which is most everybody else) will probably adopt this technology (as long as it's cheap of course!).

I'll stick with my wired setup, as i've found a way to get the things hidden in the walls just fine!

I don't know about that eqm. I am definitely gearhead, and I want the best possible sound. but I also think wires are a major PIA. If I could get comparable sound quality out of a wireless setup, I'd be all over it. We can't expect audiphile sound quality out of a wireless setup now, but this technology is still in its infancy. Who says they won't get it right?

I think if they want 6.1 and 7.1 to take off beyond us,wireless is the way to go. It makes it to simple.
    Look & Listen

eqm
    Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    I don't know about that eqm. I am definitely gearhead, and I want the best possible sound. but I also think wires are a major PIA. If I could get comparable sound quality out of a wireless setup, I'd be all over it. We can't expect audiphile sound quality out of a wireless setup now, but this technology is still in its infancy. Who says they won't get it right?

I definitely follow you man...but here's my thinking about how the stuff works...

a passive loudspeaker, being a set of cones in a box (for all practical purposes) can be built to the best possible specs for the sole purpose of being a loudspeaker.

an active loudspeaker, being a set of cones in a box that has its own amplification system, has to be designed to be price competitve with the passive loudspeaker, or , be able to be demonstorably a better value than a speaker and some wire.

point blank: it costs more to make a receiver with 3 speakers attached and a transmitter unit with its own amplification system on the receiver end for the two additional speakers, meaning that for the same money, the passive system should sound better for the same money (same argument as why to do a 2 way speaker vs the 3 way that costs the same).

i, like most everybody else that comes to this site, loves it when new tech comes along (i have two hdtvs and am on my 3rd sacd/dvd player and 2nd dvd-recorder), but remember: a LOT of people still own vcrs, a LOT of people can't even spell HDTV, let alone own one, and vinyl advocates are as rabid as ever about keeping it analog...and more power to them all! there's room for everybody here!

I never thought of a wireless speaker having its own amp. More like a transmitter receiving the signal from receiver to speaker and music.
    Look & Listen

Funny, I got the new stereophile today and in their CES coverage there was a company already doing this. on the preamp is a signal transmitter broadcasting to the surrounds, woofers, and speakers for other rooms. They were exactly what we've been talking about in this thread, wireless speakers, with their own amp. Cool.

eqm
    I never thought of a wireless speaker having its own amp. More like a transmitter receiving the signal from receiver to speaker and music.
    power still has to get to the cones for the transducers to do their thing. cos even in your simplest transistor radio, you still have a power source, and it has an amplifier for the little speaker on board.

What am i missing?Receiver has a transmitter and transmits to audio signal to the speaker which has a battery powered receiver that sends that signal to the speaker.
    Look & Listen

eqm
    What am i missing?Receiver has a transmitter and transmits to audio signal to the speaker which has a battery powered receiver that sends that signal to the speaker.
    ok...ok....i see where we're not "connecting". the amplifier in question in your setup is internal in the speaker, not an external amplifier setup.

regardless, any speaker needs some kind of amplification to produce sound; whether that power supply comes from within or without becomes the only condition.

so.....wireless speakers will have extra parts that stand-alone counterparts don't have to engineer into the design, which costs more money to create.

hope this clarifies.

Forum Regular
    This is really nothing new, wireless powered speakers have been out for years and offered by several companies. One problem is the cheap 10 to 30watt amps built in the speakers, none have had very good quality. The second problem is keeping the signal clean, when you send it through the air it is not as clean and most of the time noisey, beside the frequency bandwidth being limited! Perhaps Panasonic will have more success, but to do it right it would be expensive, powerful clean amplifiers and super clean transmitters and receivers aren't cheap to make. I say stick with wires and stuff them under the carpet or through the attic! (( ;

EFE Speakers

AR Newbie Registered Member
    It's great that at last we're about to get rid of all the wires and stuffs from our speakers. The great advantage is that we can use it with many accessories like Mp3 Player, CD player, Computer, Television and even you iPod. All these WIRELESSLY.
    Really cool.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    Funny, I got the new stereophile today and in their CES coverage there was a company already doing this. on the preamp is a signal transmitter broadcasting to the surrounds, woofers, and speakers for other rooms. They were exactly what we've been talking about in this thread, wireless speakers, with their own amp. Cool.
    A LOT of companies have tried this, all with mediocre results.
    Will this be better than Sony's effort?
    Great for people that don't care about sound quality, everybody else needs to run copper.
    The benefits of wired are so great that I can't beleive true HT fans will avoid the trouble.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    Ummm... you DO realize you're quoting a 4&1/2 year old post right? lol.
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 10-23-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Charm Thai™
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    A LOT of companies have tried this, all with mediocre results.
    Will this be better than Sony's effort?
    Great for people that don't care about sound quality, everybody else needs to run copper.
    The benefits of wired are so great that I can't beleive true HT fans will avoid the trouble.
    You nailed it on the head. I can count the number of active monitors on one hand that didn't make me want to bash me head into the wall and all of them were mucho mucho bucks. And that was just 2 channels.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Ummm,... you DO realize you're quoting a 4&1/2 year old post right? lol.

Still pertinent.
    Just been up all night , some of us have jobs.
    Also busy compiling a list of non Chinese amps that whoops your cheap chinese
    amps ass.
    BTY check out this issue of absolute sound, a lot of big words(like the) but a lot of knowledge for beginners.
    You might learn something.
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 10-23-2009 at 12:09 PM.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Uhm.. Guys.. Maybe you should check the date on this thread?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Uhm.. Guys.. Maybe you should check the date on this thread?
    Being somwhat high on cold medicine I didnt, and richie being the vicious hack he is was
    somewhat amused by my little faux pau.
    Thats all this is, roll over and go back to sleep.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Thread Information