Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Teens say they like vinyl records over CDs

A Canadian scientist says teens who used to view CDs as superior to older vinyl records now consider vinyl superior to the newer format.

Full Story;

http://www.physorg.com/news64807495.html
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

So do I!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Me too!

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Am I going to listen to the opinion of group of folks who chose MP3 over DVD-A and SACD? Don't think so!

I can understand their objection to what is being offered on CD.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar
    Finally...

My generation gets it...
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    -----------------------------
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T
    Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD
    Denon DBP-1611 bluray
    KEF K120- Jolida JD202a- Cambridge Audio D300 cdp- T500 tuner

Photo gallery

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texlle
    Finally...

My generation gets it...
    Or not!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Vinyl rules.....and so do i! Muhahahah
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Finally...

My generation gets it...
    Or at least some members do. The passion for music transcends any generation. Nice system!

rw

You mean the college crowd has stopped downloading MP3s and started listening to more of their music on turntables than on iPods?

If anything, I've been hearing about this vinyl lovefest among the twentysomethings since at least the early-90s when alternative bands like Soundgarden and Pearl Jam pressured their record companies to put out vinyl releases of their albums. I've just yet to see the proof that it's amounted to anything more than a lot of talk and a few extra albums sold. I mean, has it actually translated into notable gains in market share or changes in actual listening habits? The sales figures for new LPs indicate not, since one hit CD can still outsell all LP titles combined. While vinyl's image has been turned around into this hip and anti-establishment embrace and the DJ market alone will keep the format alive past the next ice age, it's one thing to say that you're a vinyl fan for an academic study and quite another to prove it by actually buying vinyl. (Doesn't sound like the study includes any listening tests either, so it's really more about gauging perceptions and biases than trying to validate anything)

I love my vinyl and still have a turntable plugged into my main system, but these types of studies that talk about how consumer attitudes are so supportive of the vinyl format IMO reflect a lot of wishful thinking. Sure, these teens will SAY that they love vinyl (face it, the CD format is about as exciting as a 20-year old washing machine), but the finding means absolutely nothing if the vast majority of teens continue to download music; use iPods, computers, and car audio systems for most of their listening; and buy far more CDs than LPs. I would love it if vinyl were truly on the rebound, since it means more stores would carry LPs, turntables, and vinyl accessories. But, the evidence of a rebound big enough to make any kind of ripple in the market has been lacking from what I've seen. IMO, vinyl remains a niche market and probably will remain so even after another digital medium (whether high res, or multichannel, or downloading, or on-demand streaming) supplants the CD format.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

I'm 14 and I love vinyl records, not because they are "hip" but because I love the music and some of it was only released on vinyl, also, I was raises around turntables and audio equipment, we were the first family on the block to have a "home theater". A harmon/kardon receiver, passive sub, celestion mains...ahhh, the joy of 2.1, lol

I just need a phono preamp so I can revive my 1976 B&O Beogram 3000. It works perfectly and looks new. Some kids don't know what good audio is these days...investing in infinity and monster cable. Give em a little dose of The Wall on LP amped by some tubes. Mmmm...doesn't get much better than that.
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T
    Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD
    Denon DBP-1611 bluray

Photo gallery

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    I've been meaning to get a copy of The Wall. So far a good sample has eluded me.

Suspended
    I think the operative adjective in that story is "music enthusiasts". I've had vinyl since childhood and still do but it hasn't inspired my children yet to be vinyl lovers nor any of their friends. Look at the music chains that have died lately. I think it would be the same and the industry was the same when there was records. The majority of teens, I feel are into the downloading of music and sharing music on MP3's or whatever and care less what the sound is like. Well, let me retract that, it has to have some bad ass bass. On the other hand, some one is buying vinyl again. It's obvious that vinyl has made some what of a come back. Whether it's a passing fad remains to be seen. I can't remember the label but one of the big companies have recently reissued several titles on vinyl. So if the big boys are joining in some one smells money.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    A Canadian scientist says teens who used to view CDs as superior to older vinyl records now consider vinyl superior to the newer format.

Full Story;

http://www.physorg.com/news64807495.html
    They dont say if teens were on drugs at time .I know by experience in the 70 after having a few I just sit and round and round the vinyl would go and if there was a great lable it put me in a trance

Well, i just now had a little and i can literally hear the static on my burned copy of red light district, and it's a good copy. Never been able to do that before, haha. And I'm playing it quietly.
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T
    Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD
    Denon DBP-1611 bluray

Photo gallery

Well, i just now had a little and i can literally hear the static on my burned copy of red light district, and it's a good copy. Never been able to do that before, haha. And I'm playing it quietly.
    Peace Love ,Flower Power and if you cant smoke it dont grow it
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I view the vinyl resurgence as a direct reaction to the availability of MP3s. I don't believe for a second that the kids are interested in vinyl because of any real improvement they can hear in sound quality. Sure, they've heard that its supposed to sound better, and that becomes part of the appeal, but IMO you need a pretty good rig to hear the difference, and that's something the vast majority of teens do not have. The real reason for the comeback is that kids can download anything on MP3 for free, and then what is a CD but a flimsy five inches of plastic with some artwork you have to squint to see? Much better to buy the LP for its uniqueness and beauty and continue doing most of the actual listening with the MP3s on your iPod. Especially when many new LPs are cheaper than their CD counterparts and used vinyl is even less.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    I say BS. I bet you could take a poll of 100 13-16 year olds and plenty wouldnt even know what a record is,come on.
    Look & Listen

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I have a nephew who is now 17 and when he was young he made fun of my turntable. I think he thought it was for spin art. As he learned to love music and play the guitar all of a sudden turntables were cool. So for his 15th birthday I gave him my Thorens table with AT 440 ML cartridge. He thought that was so much better than the usual cash. He has purchased a lot of new and used vinyl.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I have a nephew who is now 17 and when he was young he made fun of my turntable. I think he thought it was for spin art. As he learned to love music and play the guitar all of a sudden turntables were cool. So for his 15th birthday I gave him my Thorens table with AT 440 ML cartridge. He thought that was so much better than the usual cash. He has purchased a lot of new and used vinyl.
    JohnMicheal Thanks now I know there another purpose for my 4 turntables none hook-up .I'll call Phono Art,a few blob of paint and let it rip.Any advice for Reel to Reel?

I was in my pre- teen years when vinyles were just like the older 8 tracks slowly fading away.I listen to old music groups like Ozzy/Black Sabbath & kiss.Their music sounded like sh.. on vinyl.But,when it got re-mastered to cd .It sounds alot better.Although,I hope they start doing more mini cds ( The size of a half dollar coin or a NGC console game)

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I think certain albums need to be heard on vinyl to really understand how great the music was. (to our childrens children by the Moody Blues comes to mind right away) I am in my mid 20's, have a tiny vinyl collection but have since claimed my fathers massive collection when he passes (hopefully in about 35 years) but I love listening to records, something about the sound just seems to flow better.

dwass

Listen to Fake Tales Of San Francisco (Album Version) by Arctic Monkeys : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/16351031

Have any albums sold more than 50,000 copies on vinyl since 2000?
    If they want to do a study I can find some teens who prefer the sound of wax cylinder or only listen to music played backwards. The biggest factor is that these people are so rare that it doesn't matter what they think, they can't change an industry that caters to the masses.

nightflier
    Kexo, R&R Ninja,

You're all focusing too much on sales of new LP's. Most of the vinyl that is being sold is second-hand. The one thing I have noticed is how these have gone up in price over the last three years, both on eBay and at the flea markets. A good-quality LP will sell from $3-5 now, and if it's out of print and not available on CD, the sky's the limit ($30-60?). Now I don't know of many used CD's that sell for that.

I've also noticed that TT prices have gone up online, more so than what could be attributable to inflation. It's not significant in a let's-invest-our-retirement-savings-in-vinyl-sense, but it is interesting from an academic perspective. I would argue that maybe this is more about rebellion than anything else; rebellion against commercialization, high prices, bad music, repetitive playlists, and yes, also bad quality. When we were teens we wanted to belong, right? That's what teens want now, too. They see movies like Forest Gump, Almost Famous, Detroit Rock City, and they are amazed at how much more exciting life was for kids their age 20-30 years ago. Most kids today have never been to a a rock concert (attending the final of American Idol with prompted applause signs doesn't count). Tell them what a Kiss, RunDMC or Cool In The Gang concert was like, and they won't believe you. So they want to wear the same clothes, have the same parties, and listen to the same music. Most of that music is not easily found at Walmart or Circuit City. So they turn to LP's because its a rebellion in the medium as well as the music. It's kuuul, as they say on South Park.

And if in doing so they discover that it sounds a lot better than an MP3 and often better than a CD, what is the harm in that?

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    I just bought a remastered Boston for 30 bucks. Worth every penny.
    Look & Listen

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information