Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959

    Sony Unveils New PS3


    Sony is set to update its PlayStation 3 (PS3) console which is expected to be launched in Japan later this month. The new Sony PlayStation 3 is said to be lighter, slimmer and more energy-efficient than its predecessor.

    Assigned a model number of CECH-3000B, the upgraded 320GB PS3 console comes with a range of improvements compared to the preceding CECH-2500B. The previous version was 6.6 pounds in terms of weight but the new model comes in at nearly one pound lighter at 5.7 pounds. And consume 30W less power.

    The new AACS copyright protection will also be implemented on the updated PS3 model this is an industry standard that has been used for all Blu-Ray players that have been sold on the market from this year. Whilst it will not affect HDMI connections, this does mean that the component interface will only output 480i instead of 1080i to HDTV screens during the playback of Blu-ray movies.

  2. #2
    Forum Regular winston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    mia fl
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post

    Sony is set to update its PlayStation 3 (PS3) console which is expected to be launched in Japan later this month. The new Sony PlayStation 3 is said to be lighter, slimmer and more energy-efficient than its predecessor.

    Assigned a model number of CECH-3000B, the upgraded 320GB PS3 console comes with a range of improvements compared to the preceding CECH-2500B. The previous version was 6.6 pounds in terms of weight but the new model comes in at nearly one pound lighter at 5.7 pounds. And consume 30W less power.

    The new AACS copyright protection will also be implemented on the updated PS3 model this is an industry standard that has been used for all Blu-Ray players that have been sold on the market from this year. Whilst it will not affect HDMI connections, this does mean that the component interface will only output 480i instead of 1080i to HDTV screens during the playback of Blu-ray movies.
    Oh boy!! more trouble coming for Christmas, (my knuckle head) was telling me about it, well I guest I'll have to start making up a new list of school achievement!!?? just to be on the safe side
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

  3. #3
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    Oh boy!! more trouble coming for Christmas, (my knuckle head) was telling me about it.
    Maybe you get lucky and new PS3 won't make it to U.S. market before Christmas

    I wonder if there will be any changes in pricing for new PS3.

  4. #4
    Forum Regular winston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    mia fl
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Maybe you get lucky and new PS3 won't make it to U.S. market before Christmas

    I wonder if there will be any changes in pricing for new PS3.
    well" A'men to that, Smoke's, ...

    (Wooch) maybe able to give an update on the price?
    Chet Baker-Trumpet
    Pepper Adams-Baritone Sax
    Herbie Mann-Flute
    Bill Evans-Piano
    Paul Chambers-Bass & Connie Kay-Drums
    (....ALONE TOGETHER....) DEC. 30 1958
    produced by...Orrin Keepnews...

  5. #5
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Hey Smoke -
    So, is this going to be your Blu-ray player?

    BTW, do you have any links to the original article? This info was obviously cribbed from somewhere ... credit where credit is due.

    Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    well" A'men to that, Smoke's, ...

    (Wooch) maybe able to give an update on the price?
    Every new version of the PS3 has come out with a reduced price, so I think the price cut is inevitable. The weight reduction typically results from different components getting integrated together, which also reduces the cost. Unfortunately, the lower priced PS3s have also lowered costs and reduced weight by eliminating certain functions, like when later generation PS3 consoles eliminated the PSOne/PS2 compatibility, SACD playback, and memory card slots.

    The PS3 platform badly needs a shot in the arm after getting hammered by the PS Network outage and the Xbox 360's resurgence with the Kinect add-on. Sony already makes a profit on each PS3 console, so they have some leeway to pass the cost reductions along.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610



    The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

    Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

  6. #6
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post
    Unfortunately, the lower priced PS3s have also lowered costs and reduced weight by eliminating certain functions, like when later generation PS3 consoles eliminated the PSOne/PS2 compatibility, SACD playback, and memory card slots...
    I'm still pretty irritated about that one.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  7. #7
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    I'm still pretty irritated about that one.
    My understanding is that the SACD playback was two-channel only via the analog AV connector (not exactly the best standard for audio to begin with). I think they had to include a separate DSD decoder for that capability, so this was an easy choice when Sony was looking to cut costs on the updated versions.

    Last time I checked, used first generation PS3 consoles were still selling for around $300 -- the same as a brand new PS3 slim. But, much of the reason for the high price is because of the PSOne/PS2 compatibility (the original PS3 actually included a separate processor board just for PSOne/PS2 games).
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610



    The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

    Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

  8. #8
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post
    Hey Smoke -
    So, is this going to be your Blu-ray player?
    I don't like pay for Bluray player that cost more than the TV ($279)

    BTW, do you have any links to the original article? This info was obviously cribbed from somewhere ... credit where credit is due.
    Just Google it

    Information seem sketchy regrding the price and software/hardware improvements

  9. #9
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I don't like pay for Bluray player that cost more than the TV ($279)
    So what is your Blu-ray threshold? It pains me to think of that pristine high performance TV being forced to go slumming with those dollar bin DVDs you obviously keep buying!

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Just Google it
    That wasn't what I was getting at. Unless you actually wrote the text in the post, then the link should be attributed to the original article. Aside from letting someone read the actual source, it's just good form to credit what you're quoting.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610



    The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

    Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

  10. #10
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Wtf?!......
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  11. #11
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael View Post
    Wtf?!......
    Yeah...sorry...that/those ones slipped by me. Jm and I are routinely knocking out 100+ of those a week. Every once in a while one escapes justice...temporarily.

    Btw, Kneefupeboome, my Uncle Arkan said your mom tasted great...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  12. #12
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I don't like pay for Bluray player that cost more than the TV ($279)



    Just Google it

    Information seem sketchy regrding the price and software/hardware improvements
    YOU can get an excellent BLU at WALMART(right next to the dollar tub) made by FUNAI with the name Magnavox.
    Know this is a great player because I HAD IT.
    DVD's look great also, but I can understand your reluctance
    to try BLU with a 37" monitor.
    I WOULD buy one and try it. Don't care for it, or think its not
    worth the money...take it back. Just don't forget to stop by the redbox on your way out and get some BLU for 1.50 a pop.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  13. #13
    Dom
    Dom is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8
    PS3... overpriced. ahem.

  14. #14
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    Yeah...sorry...that/those ones slipped by me. Jm and I are routinely knocking out 100+ of those a week. Every once in a while one escapes justice...temporarily.

    Btw, Kneefupeboome, my Uncle Arkan said your mom tasted great...
    Great comment from the "moderator".
    AS ex law I can tell you, sink to their level and they win.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sony Unveils New PS3-015abd6fed.gif  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  15. #15
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis View Post
    Great comment from the "moderator".
    AS ex law I can tell you, sink to their level and they win.
    A comment made only more interesting when one considers the source.

    It was a Croatian porn bot...and I like to think that I sunk well below its level but I recognize that, at times, my oblique sense of humor can be lost on lesser observers.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BDe...BEnatovi%C4%87
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  16. #16
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,826
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    A comment made only more interesting when one considers the source.

    It was a Croatian porn bot...and I like to think that I sunk well below its level but I recognize that, at times, my oblique sense of humor can be lost on lesser observers.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BDe...BEnatovi%C4%87
    Lesser observer and Pix= understatement of the century.....
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •