Slim Devices Announces the Transporter

Slim Devices announces the Transporter
    Slim Devices, manufcaturer of the popular Squeezebox networked music server has announced the Transporter, a no compromise server for the audiophile.
    features
    • AKM's professional-grade DAC
    • Fully balanced analog stage
    • super-regulated linear supplies
    Super-regulated linear supplies

http://www.slimdevices.com/

I was just about to post on that.

Pretty cool lookin. I'd buy one right away, if I hadn't already bought a Benchmark DAC1 and linear power supply for my SB2.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    I was just about to post on that.

Pretty cool lookin. I'd buy one right away, if I hadn't already bought a Benchmark DAC1 and linear power supply for my SB2.
    I admit it's a pretty neat looking piece of kit, but I don't understand you Mike.

You tell people in one thread that the Olive is a waste of money, and to get a computer and DAC instead, and then embrace this $2000 unit from Slim Devices.
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 07-25-2006 at 06:40 AM.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I don't want to go too far off topic... but how is the navigation on the Slim. If you want to find the one album in the haystack, e.g. or maybe create a 5 CD shuffle on the fly? Also if you had one server, can you run multiple devices independently? w/ one iTunes application? Or maybe with multiple applications and one library?

Also a question for ericl, one the Apple Airport Express setup, if you have one computer running iTunes, how many AExpress hubs can receive a stream?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    You tell people in one thread that the Olive is a waste of money, and to get a computer and DAC instead, and then embrace this $2000 unit from Slim Devices.
    Well, I do think it's on the pricey side (which was my main criticism of the Olive). But the point of having the computer is the storage and management power, which is precisely what this device gives you. It's the same computer+DAC approach I've been advocating all the time, just put in a slick package. (I don't know anything about the quality of the DAC in this unit, but I do know the Slim guys are pretty good at what they do.)

The Olive was even more expensive, if I recall, and the storage was limited (as well as many other options you get with the Slim Devices stuff).

I also think you can do better for the money than both these devices by going with the Squeezebox plus your own DAC selection. But it won't look as slick.
    Last edited by Mike Anderson; 07-25-2006 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    I don't want to go too far off topic... but how is the navigation on the Slim. If you want to find the one album in the haystack, e.g. or maybe create a 5 CD shuffle on the fly?
    It's easy. It's somewhat easier on the computer than it is using the remote, but the point is you don't need to access the computer if you don't want to.

Also if you had one server, can you run multiple devices independently?
    Yes.

w/ one iTunes application? Or maybe with multiple applications and one library?
    The Slim stuff comes with its own software interface. It isn't as slick as iTunes, but my understanding is that you can also control it with iTunes if you want (provided you aren't using FLAC or some format that iTunes doesn't grok). I'm not sure if you can run more than one iTunes app at a time though.

You can get an answer to that question at the Slim Devices forums:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/

thanks! putting together my X-mas wish list...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    It's easy. It's somewhat easier on the computer than it is using the remote, but the point is you don't need to access the computer if you don't want to.
    Actually you still would be accessing the music on your computer with the slim device requiring you to make sure the computer is on.

check this out

http://slimdevices.com/dev_infrant.html

The Infrant NAS (Networked Attached Storage) is a great addition for the slim device. It is always on. Only uses 55Watts of electricity. Supports iTunes streaming services and most network DVD players to also play video content on your tv.

I do not own the Slim Device as I use another media interface for my HT. However I have only read good things about it.

noddin0ff, If you want a single server to use, the infrant nas is the one to go with.

Look at all the reviews and awards it has won on the ReadyNas NV model in just 6 months.

www.infrant.com

Later
    Greg
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    PSB Image T65
    PSB Image C60
    PSB Image S50
    Yamaha YST-SW1500
    Mitsubishi WS-55807
    Sony DVP-NC875V SACD
    Logitech Harmony 880
    Iriver Ihp-120 MP3 Player

Thanks Havic,

I do think that ultimately I'll get a small RAID enclosure to mirror my drives. I'm not quite there yet. I'm a little slow on networking...if I understand you could hook the Infrant NAS physically to a wireless hub/router like Airport (my current network) and then just use slim devices to access it. Essentially you could skip the computer altogether if desired? Or also access via computer?

Quote Originally Posted by HAVIC
    Actually you still would be accessing the music on your computer with the slim device requiring you to make sure the computer is on.
    When I say "access", I'm talking about the user interface for controlling the music. You can either control the music from any computer on the same network linked to the hard drive where the music is stored (via the slim server interface through a web browser), or using a remote control. (And with this device, you can also perform some functions from the panel on the front of the device, apparently.)

I have a Squeezebox 2 right now. I generally prefer controlling it from the computer, since I already have a laptop in my lap. But when company comes over, or I'm not using the laptop, I use the remote control.

The remote is slightly clunkier because you don't have a keyboard. So when you search for something, you have to "text message" the characters from the remote, so to speak.

Using a computer, by contrast, you can click and type to navigate your music collection.

Forum Regular
    .if I understand you could hook the Infrant NAS physically to a wireless hub/router like Airport (my current network) and then just use slim devices to access it. Essentially you could skip the computer altogether if desired? Or also access via computer?
    Actually the infrant nas allows you to connect to your wireless hub/router with wireless, you do not have to connect physically with a wire. And yes you could then just use the slim device without a computer. The nas would also allow you to access the music through the computer as well. The infrant nas would also allow you to access the nas via the internet as well if you want.

Mike Anderson, I was just trying to make sure people understood how the technology works. I knew what you meant but wanted to make sure people who didn't, that they still had to have their computer on.
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    PSB Image T65
    PSB Image C60
    PSB Image S50
    Yamaha YST-SW1500
    Mitsubishi WS-55807
    Sony DVP-NC875V SACD
    Logitech Harmony 880
    Iriver Ihp-120 MP3 Player

Thread Information