Forum Regular

Onkyo HD-DVD player discontinued?

There is a rumor coming from Europe that Onkyo has discontinued their new HD-DVD player.Don't know if it's true or not but bears watching.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Yeah, why go with Onkyo when Toshiba is giving 'em away buy 1 get 1 free

I know, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    There is a rumor coming from Europe that Onkyo has discontinued their new HD-DVD player.Don't know if it's true or not but bears watching.

bill
    Looks like the rumors are true... Not surprising really as LJ mentioned, the cost versus the current Toshiba offerings was too high. You can buy 6 Toshiba HD-A3s for the retail of the Onkyo (or a couple XA-2s that it was based on).

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Suspended
    Actually, I'm surprised they even planned to put one out at that price. They saw where Toshiba was taking the market and it's not like they were building a higher quality unit either. In my opinion this was a huge mistake and it doesn't look like Onkyo showed it's best integrity toward the consumer with it's intensions here.

Forum Regular
    Agreed.I can not help but think that a lot of people are buying new receivers,to get on board
    decoding when they likely don't need it anyway.Players with proper decoding built in is all we really need and would make life simpler for everyone.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Actually, I'm surprised they even planned to put one out at that price. They saw where Toshiba was taking the market and it's not like they were building a higher quality unit either. In my opinion this was a huge mistake and it doesn't look like Onkyo showed it's best integrity toward the consumer with it's intensions here.
    I personally knew this was going to happen long before I posted it. This is where insider information really pays off.

At the time of the announcement of this new player by Onkyo, Toshiba had been telling some manufacturers they were discontinuing the XA-2. With the upper end price structure finally abandon, Onkyo thought they could position themselves where the XA-2 was, make some money off of its player, and become a viable manufacturer within the HD DVD community. Unfortunately for Onyko, Toshiba did not discontinue the XA-2, and continued to discount and discount which has pushed the market lower and lower. When Onkyo began sending out samples to European AV websites, it became apparent the market had shifted to a lower cost market, and there was just no point in Onkyo releasing a money losing player as RCA did. There is just no way for anyone to compete with Toshiba in the current HD DVD market plan. Toshiba is losing money hand over fist, how does the HD DVD PG think they can coax other manufacturers into this format. The cheaper Venturer player scheduled for a $199 price release is not going to be carried by Walmart who is the logical choice for this player, as they prefer to stick with Toshiba and the A3. With Toshiba doing what they are doing, the next victim of this cost slashing effort will be the venturer, because there is no need to make shelf space for a player already priced within range of the A3.

Another hint for the direction of HD DVD. There is a certain HD DVD exclusive studio that is A) No friend of the other HD DVD exclusive studio, B) is hopping mad that what they got for exclusive support of HD DVD is not nearly as much as what the other exclusive got. The one exclusive is still angry at the other for hyjacking a prominent director from their midst, but the payoff may just be the straw that broke the camels back. This information is so loudly propogating all over Hollywood, that only a deaf person could not hear it. I am going to be hanging with a film school buddy who is a higher up at a HD DVD exclusive (one that I have not worked at) and I am going to try and milk him like a diary cow.

Stayed tuned, this is getting interesting.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Integrity had nothing to do with it.
    they were putting out a product with no market niche using a dying format, it would have been stupid to continue. I think they did their fans a favor, not sticking them with what would have been an expensive mistake.
    I have had an Onkyo product for three going on four years, never had such a nice piece of gear that worked so well and was so well designed.
    This is a big blow for the HDDVD camp , that a high line player has jumped ship.
    Look for them to be putting out a Blu ray player, probably high end, in the near future.
    Will the last person out of the HDDVD camp please turn out the light?
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Integrity had nothing to do with it.
    they were putting out a product with no market niche using a dying format, it would have been stupid to continue. I think they did their fans a favor, not sticking them with what would have been an expensive mistake.
    I have had an Onkyo product for three going on four years, never had such a nice piece of gear that worked so well and was so well designed.
    This is a big blow for the HDDVD camp , that a high line player has jumped ship.
    Look for them to be putting out a Blu ray player, probably high end, in the near future.
    Will the last person out of the HDDVD camp please turn out the light?
    Actually I think it is no blow to the HD DVD camp at all. Those players were never going to sell from the get-go. It was a bad Marketing decision by Onkyo plain and simple.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    Actually I think it is no blow to the HD DVD camp at all. Those players were never going to sell from the get-go. It was a bad Marketing decision by Onkyo plain and simple.

---Dave
    Its a blow.
    not only did onkyo scratch a hi-line player, you probably wont be seeing a "low" line HDDVD player anytime soon.
    Nothing to stop them, they turn out plenty of "cheap" HTIB and HT RECEIVERS.
    They just saw the writing on the wall, mainly that most who want "high end" are going with bluray. In other words the primary market for a "hi-line" hddvd player are going to be HT
    and audiophile geeks like the ones who populate this board, and they are gonna choose BLU for the same reason they choose moving coil over moving magnet in a turntable,
    for the same reason they reject BOSE, Sony receivers, etc.
    Mainly that BLUray is better.
    Know why there are only a few DVD's out there that use the full potential of DTS?
    Disc space for one. Dancing with wolves has a superb DTS track but it took two discs to do it. Same way with 12 monkeys.
    Get a dual layer HDDVD disc and what do you have? A disc that is less than the sum of two layers because of engineering limitations.
    In other words a dual layer HDDVD disc is barely bigger than SINGLE LAYER BLU RAY
    Add in all of the gee-gaws that movie lovers consider just a distraction...
    I have been watching DVD limited in space by one "making of" documentary after another,
    audio comments by idiot actors , etc.
    I want as much space as possible with any new DISC format. I want that format
    to be as technologically advanced as possible, because after it becomes entrenched
    thats it, you'll be watching these discs for decades.
    HDDVD is a 30 gig DVD based on outmoded tech, and I am glad that Onkyo sees this for the loss leader that it is. And others see it too, hell, they're practically giving the players away, losing a hundred bucks a player on each "199.00$" player they sell.
    Onkyo has exelent marketers, marketers who saw no future for HDDVD.
    Thats a "blow"
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Its a blow.
    not only did onkyo scratch a hi-line player, you probably wont be seeing a "low" line HDDVD player anytime soon.
    Nothing to stop them, they turn out plenty of "cheap" HTIB and HT RECEIVERS.
    They just saw the writing on the wall, mainly that most who want "high end" are going with bluray. In other words the primary market for a "hi-line" hddvd player are going to be HT
    and audiophile geeks like the ones who populate this board, and they are gonna choose BLU for the same reason they choose moving coil over moving magnet in a turntable,
    for the same reason they reject BOSE, Sony receivers, etc.
    Mainly that BLUray is better.
    Know why there are only a few DVD's out there that use the full potential of DTS?
    Disc space for one. Dancing with wolves has a superb DTS track but it took two discs to do it. Same way with 12 monkeys.
    Get a dual layer HDDVD disc and what do you have? A disc that is less than the sum of two layers because of engineering limitations.
    In other words a dual layer HDDVD disc is barely bigger than SINGLE LAYER BLU RAY
    Add in all of the gee-gaws that movie lovers consider just a distraction...
    I have been watching DVD limited in space by one "making of" documentary after another,
    audio comments by idiot actors , etc.
    I want as much space as possible with any new DISC format. I want that format
    to be as technologically advanced as possible, because after it becomes entrenched
    thats it, you'll be watching these discs for decades.
    HDDVD is a 30 gig DVD based on outmoded tech, and I am glad that Onkyo sees this for the loss leader that it is. And others see it too, hell, they're practically giving the players away, losing a hundred bucks a player on each "199.00$" player they sell.
    Onkyo has exelent marketers, marketers who saw no future for HDDVD.
    Thats a "blow"
    More delusional FUD. Keep that imagination of yours going strong Pixel ol' boy. :-)

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    More delusional FUD. Keep that imagination of yours going strong Pixel ol' boy. :-)

---Dave

You're the one who will wake up one day and realize that your "imagination" is playing tricks on YOU.
    And all of the money you "invested" in an inferiour format will have been wasted.
    Keep a spot in the attic for that HDDVD player of yours
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Its a blow.

You are referring to the Image Entertainment release from 1998/1999 for DANCES WITH WOLVES, which was available for a short period of time and was not a dual layer disc, therefore it was on 2 discs and did feature a great DTS track, at least you got that part right. There was also a non-DTS DVD issued as well but then the rights went to MGM who released the film WITHOUT DTS here in the US a few years later, but you can get an import version of the film (in Korea) with DTS that contains both the directors cut or the theatrical cut, both DTS and they are on separate discs, but the entire film does fit on ONE disc, it's a dual layer disc. That set comes in a brown leather pouch with still cards and is a nice collectors item. If you want to hear the film the way it should in DTS look no further than the DTS Entertainment sampler disc that was released, which still to this day features some of the best samples of full-bit DTS audio, the 'suicide run' clip is the one featured from DANCES WITH WOLVES and is superb.

12 MONKEYS was never a 2-disc DTS set, the entire film was on one disc in DTS. This was recycled from the 12" Laser and was pretty good overall, but is in need of a new transfer.
    Last edited by PeruvianSkies; 11-29-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    You are referring to the Image Entertainment release from 1998/1999 for DANCES WITH WOLVES, which was available for a short period of time and was not a dual layer disc, therefore it was on 2 discs and did feature a great DTS track, at least you got that part right. There was also a non-DTS DVD issued as well but then the rights went to MGM who released the film WITHOUT DTS here in the US a few years later, but you can get an import version of the film (in Korea) with DTS that contains both the directors cut or the theatrical cut, both DTS and they are on separate discs, but the entire film does fit on ONE disc, it's a dual layer disc. That set comes in a brown leather pouch with still cards and is a nice collectors item. If you want to hear the film the way it should in DTS look no further than the DTS Entertainment sampler disc that was released, which still to this day features some of the best samples of full-bit DTS audio, the 'suicide run' clip is the one featured from DANCES WITH WOLVES and is superb.

12 MONKEYS was never a 2-disc DTS set, the entire film was on one disc in DTS. This was recycled from the 12" Laser and was pretty good overall, but is in need of a new transfer.

Monkeys wasnt on two discs, sorry if I gave that impression, but the bit rate was higher
    than on most dts dvds
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Thread Information