Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One in eight to cut cable & satellite TV in 2010

Going without cable or satellite is unthinkable to many Americans -- just over 90% of U.S. households subscribe to some form of pay TV. But just as mobile phones have replaced many customers' land-line service, analyst at Yankee Group said on-demand Internet video will soon whittle that 90% figure down.

One in eight consumers will eliminate or scale back their cable, satellite or other pay-TV service this year, according to a new study released this week by Yankee Group.

The study, which was the result of a survey of pay-TV operators and more than 6,000 U.S. consumers, found that many will choose to drop premium channels or cut their service down to a basic package, while others will choose to cut off their service completely.

The biggest reason why customers will cut the cord, according to the study, is the growing cost of pay-TV service. Cable and satellite viewers pay an average of $71 per month, and they receive an average annual price hike of 5%, according to research firm Centris.

Broadcasters like ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC have traditionally cost cable and satellite providers nothing to retransmit, since they are offered for free over the air anyway. But lately, broadcast television networks have demanded -- and have received -- fees for their programming comparable to other cable networks. These higher costs will ultimately drive more consumers to cut their pay-TV service -- especially for non-sports fans.

As most sports are still watched on television, and since sports programming makes up as much as 50% of a pay-TV provider's costs, customers who are not sports fans are essentially paying half of their cable or satellite bill on channels in which they have no interest.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/30/tech...ping_cable_tv/

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Going without cable or satellite is unthinkable to many Americans -- just over 90% of U.S. households subscribe to some form of pay TV. But just as mobile phones have replaced many customers' land-line service, analyst at Yankee Group said on-demand Internet video will soon whittle that 90% figure down.

One in eight consumers will eliminate or scale back their cable, satellite or other pay-TV service this year, according to a new study released this week by Yankee Group.

The study, which was the result of a survey of pay-TV operators and more than 6,000 U.S. consumers, found that many will choose to drop premium channels or cut their service down to a basic package, while others will choose to cut off their service completely.

The biggest reason why customers will cut the cord, according to the study, is the growing cost of pay-TV service. Cable and satellite viewers pay an average of $71 per month, and they receive an average annual price hike of 5%, according to research firm Centris.

Broadcasters like ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC have traditionally cost cable and satellite providers nothing to retransmit, since they are offered for free over the air anyway. But lately, broadcast television networks have demanded -- and have received -- fees for their programming comparable to other cable networks. These higher costs will ultimately drive more consumers to cut their pay-TV service -- especially for non-sports fans.

As most sports are still watched on television, and since sports programming makes up as much as 50% of a pay-TV provider's costs, customers who are not sports fans are essentially paying half of their cable or satellite bill on channels in which they have no interest.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/30/tech...ping_cable_tv/
    I have no statistic for here in Canada but I know the situation is generally similar -- except that there are no, (nada, zero), low cost options as there seem to be state-side.

I'm not a sports watcher consequently don't subscribe to sports packages but there is still plenty of sports -- plus heck of a lot of other stuff that I just don't watch. "Other stuff" includes French language channels and "basic" HD though I have no HDTV set. I'm paying almost $90/mo for what is bearly more than minium coverage: it's not good value, IMO.

Now that I'm retired I don't have money to give to Bell TV or Rogers just so their shareholders can stay rich. Something's got to give.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I am sure the economic downturn is playing a major factor here. Just as when a gallon of gas hit $4 people discover that things they once though of as necessities were really luxuries they could do without. If the economy comes back or cable lowers their prices they will be back.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I have no statistic for here in Canada but I know the situation is generally similar -- except that there are no, (nada, zero), low cost options as there seem to be state-side.
    Threr are not too many low cost options in state side either unless you want to get into yearly contract. I was one of the lucky ones. I disconnected my [comcast] cable two years ago and took the cable box back, but they forgot to disconnect my cable. So I been getting 100 analog channels for free

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    If the economy comes back or cable lowers their prices they will be back.
    Not according to the study. the sudy said the availability of contents on internet and increase in internet capable devices will further erode cable/sattelite subscribers base

Suspended
    I wonder where they get 90%? When they were first planning to turn off the analog stations I saw a quote of only 80% subscribing to pay viewing. Although, not too many stations have taken advantage there is actually more potential for free TV now that the stations are HD. HD allows for more than one station at a frequency, similar to HD radio. Our PBS affiliate sure has expanded though we have 4 or 5 now. One being a 24 hours PBS Kids. I'll be an over the air statistic if I ever have a riff with Dishnetwork, because I will not use Directv and I will never use Charter cable again. My only alternative will be if U-verse ever hits the neighborhood.

I wonder if this story is what really prompted all the talk of turning off free TV? All the cable companies need is some lobbyists walking through the congress pumping money into pockets.

Forum Regular

Talking pay tv,phone, internet

I discontinued my home phone, dish network, and internet service when I got layed off in sept 2009! I watch dvd movies, and have a blackberry for phone service, email, and internet which saves me about $200 per month! I don't miss the services one bit!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by errol van
    I discontinued my home phone, dish network, and internet service when I got layed off in sept 2009! I watch dvd movies, and have a blackberry for phone service, email, and internet which saves me about $200 per month! I don't miss the services one bit!
    Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
    When I was "let go" in 2009 I didnt discontinue anything, always found a way to scrimp by.
    I would rather deep six the BERRY, and do without that paticular service.
    But to each his own.
    Me, I will be in a ditch with a laptop, getting wi-fi from the Krystal before I quit
    the net.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Count me among the one out of eight who will not be cutting cable TV/Internet service unless Hell freezes over.

Thanks everybody

Quote Originally Posted by Glen B
    Count me among the one out of eight who will not be cutting cable TV/Internet service unless Hell freezes over.
    I could do without Cable as I have done it before, but never could do without Internet. Unfortunately in some households, those two are bundled together.

Suspended
    Yeah, the internet would be more difficult as we are tied to it for banking, shopping, research and just fun. We could go back to the old way but the net is sure convenient and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Yeah, the internet would be more difficult as we are tied to it for banking, shopping, research and just fun.
    Looks like we have to be tied to it physically also

It seem for foreseeable future, our house have to be connected to a fix land line (be it cable or phone) one way or the other because of Internet. I could save about 50% by dropping my phone line and using a cellphone only, but Internet (DSL) comes with telephone.

Suspended
    Well I am already in the minority. I have always just used a roof antenna and I use DSL for internet. So I won't need to drop anything to save money.

Just maybe if sheep stopped paying too much, prices might drop. I'm still waiting for the price of CDs to drop which was promised when CDs first hit the market but it never happened.

I would much rather put that $100 a month towards my retirement so I will be able to afford a place to live (and watch TV) when I retire....early!

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Since my boys have basically moved out, cable, landlines and satellite dishes are all gone at all of my residences. I am all high speed broadband where I can, and rely on a large collection of movies to feed all of my hometheaters no matter where I am. Any television I watch, is basically online internet based stuff, even the daily news can be had off of the net.

In saying all of that, the net will not replace my critical viewing of movies in the near future. The PQ and SQ will have to improve dramatically to get me to give up my discs!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Since my boys have basically moved out, cable, landlines and satellite dishes are all gone at all of my residences. I am all high speed broadband where I can, and rely on a large collection of movies to feed all of my hometheaters no matter where I am. Any television I watch, is basically online internet based stuff, even the daily news can be had off of the net.

In saying all of that, the net will not replace my critical viewing of movies in the near future. The PQ and SQ will have to improve dramatically to get me to give up my discs!
    NOT REALLY.
    We are down to two or three video stores in my town, and I DOUBT EVEN YOU
    will buy every disc they want to watch.
    Although there is good in everything, got two BLU discs , 3.98$ each at the local
    movie gallery closeout.
    Would have gotten more but that was all that was left.
    SO its netflix, redbox, for discs, and how much BLU do they have?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    NOT REALLY.
    We are down to two or three video stores in my town, and I DOUBT EVEN YOU
    will buy every disc they want to watch.
    Remember, I said they moved out, so they are responsible for their own discs when they want to watch their own movies. Besides, we don't shop at any local stores, Amazon, studio friends, and a close friend who is a distributer is where I get my movies from exclusively. There hasn't been anything worth shopping at local in years.

Although there is good in everything, got two BLU discs , 3.98$ each at the local
    movie gallery closeout.
    Good price, hope you enjoy the movies!

Would have gotten more but that was all that was left.
    SO its netflix, redbox, for discs, and how much BLU do they have?
    Netflix has quite a bit of Bluray, especially new releases(that is another source of entertainment). Amazon has just about everything released in North America, and the prices are a bargain when you use the marketplace.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Besides, we don't shop at any local stores, Amazon, studio friends, and a close friend who is a distributer is where I get my movies from exclusively. There hasn't been anything worth shopping at local in years.
    There could be some good deals at local Big box stores such as BB, Target or Walmart if catching their weekly sales on DVD and Blu discs. There seem to be Blu-ray on sale for $10 almost every week in these stores.

And if you have Biglots store near by you can pick up DVDs for $3, and whole season TV shows for $6

There could be some good deals at local Big box stores such as BB, Target or Walmart if catching their weekly sales on DVD and Blu discs. There seem to be Blu-ray on sale for $10 almost every week in these stores.

And if you have Biglots store near by you can pick up DVDs for $3, and whole season TV shows for $6
    Smoke, I'll have to admit that I haven't purchase a single DVD since December 2006. I have purchased nothing but Blu-rays since then.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Ajani
    I haven't had cable or a landline in a very long time... I only use highspeed internet (from my cable company - never subscribed to their cable or landline service though) and my cellphone (just for calls - no net access)...

I watch all my TV online and I do have local stations on air (so I get 2 channels on my TV - which I never watch)....

I just see no reason to spend the extra money on cable and landlines....

Cool

yeah, whole "seasons" of obscure cowboy series from the fifties.
    AND not only 10$, I scored the Arrival, a minor sci-fi classic, on BLU for eight dollars
    at walfart.
    BLU is basically an upgrade of DVD, and I think most "get" that.
    The Blue laser allows for Blu to be the way DVD should have been.
    BUT except for collectors and the occasional family movie there wont be a market for either in a few years.
    Not even at smokies fire sale prices.
    Hard media is an inefficient way to deliver content, soon price will reflect that,
    and that will be allsherote
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    yeah, whole "seasons" of obscure cowboy series from the fifties.
    AND not only 10$, I scored the Arrival, a minor sci-fi classic, on BLU for eight dollars
    at walfart.
    BLU is basically an upgrade of DVD, and I think most "get" that.
    The Blue laser allows for Blu to be the way DVD should have been.
    BUT except for collectors and the occasional family movie there wont be a market for either in a few years.
    Not even at smokies fire sale prices.
    Hard media is an inefficient way to deliver content, soon price will reflect that,
    and that will be allsherote
    Until downloads can acheive the same quality as a Blu ray disc, there will always be a market for a Blu ray disc, it ain't goin anywhere soon. People who are quality concious(that would exclude you basically) are not going to abandon the quest for quality just to follow mediocre sheeple viewing quality habits, or because there is more convience. They will continue to pursue the best quality even if it confines them to a physical disc.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Ajani
    Until downloads can acheive the same quality as a Blu ray disc, there will always be a market for a Blu ray disc, it ain't goin anywhere soon. People who are quality concious(that would exclude you basically) are not going to abandon the quest for quality just to follow mediocre sheeple viewing quality habits, or because there is more convience. They will continue to pursue the best quality even if it confines them to a physical disc.
    I agree... I still buy my music on CDs (and then rip them to lossless files for my music server) as I'm not interested in accepting lower quality audio from the iTunes store etc... Once lossless and/or high res files are the default from online sites, then I'll stop buying CDs... So I see essentially the same thing applying to movie buffs...

I guess you can count me as one how doesn't want Cable/Sat. TV but Not for the reasons stated in the survey. I have No interest in paying that much money to have 600 channels of junk flowing in to my house. I can't even stand the stuff on the major networks
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier
    Adcom GDV-870 DVD-A/CD player
    Yamaha S1800 DVD/SACD player
    Panasonic DMP-BD60K blu Ray player
    PSB Image series speakes s/s
    Dayton RSS210HF 8" reference sub
    Hitachi 46" HD projector screen

Suspended
    Pix, if you are wanting to fan the flame of internet vs disc go drag out one of the prior dozens of threads this was beat to death in and leave this one and every one to come alone with it.

Pix, if you are wanting to fan the flame of internet vs disc go drag out one of the prior dozens of threads this was beat to death in and leave this one and every one to come alone with it.
    LOL +1
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Angry

nobodies making you read anything.
    The transfer to cloud storage from hard copy is historic.
    One REASON I wanted BLU to catch on quick, so that we collectors would have a proper medium for our stuff.
    As to "internet VS disc", that is improperly framed.
    ITS LIKE SAYING HORSE VS CAR.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information