nightflier

Now that's sounds like a pretty good McIntosh deal

From Enjoy The Music (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/news/)

"Trade up to a big mac as McIntosh Laboratory, longtime high-end audio company with over 56 years of experience, has announced a limited time trade-up incentive program valid until August 31. During the limited-time program consumers may trade in their McIntosh multi-channel, stereo or monoblock amplifiers regardless of age and receive up to 75 percent of its original MSRP toward a new current model McIntosh power amplifier. All trade-ins must be functional and maintain their original design. "McIntosh owners tend to be extremely passionate about the audio performance of their home entertainment products" said McIntosh President Charlie Randall, "They're also, not surprisingly, renowned for their loyalty to the McIntosh brand. Our Trade-UP program is a way for us to reward these valued owners for their loyalty and support, and provide an easy way for them to upgrade their current components to the very latest in McIntosh style, quality and performance."

Now I just have to find the one Mac amp that has depreciated the most and see what I can buy it for.

I've heard that ...

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    From Enjoy The Music (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/news/)

"Trade up to a big mac as McIntosh Laboratory, longtime high-end audio company with over 56 years of experience, has announced a limited time trade-up incentive program valid until August 31. During the limited-time program consumers may trade in their McIntosh multi-channel, stereo or monoblock amplifiers regardless of age and receive up to 75 percent of its original MSRP toward a new current model McIntosh power amplifier. All trade-ins must be functional and maintain their original design. "McIntosh owners tend to be extremely passionate about the audio performance of their home entertainment products" said McIntosh President Charlie Randall, "They're also, not surprisingly, renowned for their loyalty to the McIntosh brand. Our Trade-UP program is a way for us to reward these valued owners for their loyalty and support, and provide an easy way for them to upgrade their current components to the very latest in McIntosh style, quality and performance."

Now I just have to find the one Mac amp that has depreciated the most and see what I can buy it for.
    80% of all McIntosh ever made are still in service -- don't know how reliable that quote is, though.

One thing is for sure: it's easy to sell a Mac of almost any age if it's repairable. I wonder of McIntosh Labs will recondition the trade-ins and sell them? More likely they will job them out to a third party to be resold.

yes, the trade in program,

only in the usa sadly

trade your mc stuff in for 75% of the original salesprice (maximum, and only if the unit is in mint condition)
    there was lots of talk about this over at AK
    and I think that that quote is pretty reliable feanor
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

nightflier
    Well I ran some numbers, and despite McIntosh reliability and all, there's no way to come out ahead, price-wise. My accountant would never approve.

Ah, someday I will own that Mac amp, and that Porshe, and that mansion on the hill, ah yes, someday....

Don't some of their older models go for more now on Ebay, than they went for new?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

nightflier
    Yup, lots of 'em, including the MC-275 from 1965, which originally sold for $444 and now sells for well over $2500 (that is, if you can find it). Some other noteworthy numbers: the MC-60, $220 in 1955, now $1500+, and the MC-240, $199 in 1960, $1200+ today.

Of course, there's also some duds like the MC-502, $1100 in 1978 and $350 today, or probably the worst case, the miserable MA-5 from 1955, $120 new, now just $20. So if you really want to own a Mac amp, you can do it with peanuts, although I couldn't tell you what kind of amp that is/was.

some things are affordable (the vintage stuff at least), a c-26, or a c-28 preamp will go for around $450 on the bay or so...

then, of course you still need a Mc amp for a Mcsystem
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE