MSB Technology releases iPod iLink "Dgital Upgrade"

MSB Technology has released a modification and specially designed dock to allow iPod owners to get a digital signal off of their iPod and into a high end DAC. The stock iPod offers NO digital output, and until now everyone has had to be happy with it's analog output. This modification allows you connect to any digital input, be it a high end DAC or digital receiver, using MSB's iLink base station.

The iPod upgrade and the iLink base station even feature a wireless connection, so you don't have to plug the iPod into the dock to transmit digital audio. Pretty cool!

then, there is the small matter of price:
    • iLink System $1995 (includes upgrade of one iPod, provided by you)
    • iPod upgrade only $199 (for additional units)
    • iLink with 80 GB iPod $2349. (MSB provides the iPod)

Read
    Attached Images Attached Images  

$2400!!!!!

Just use your CD player. (Which I'm assuming you have CDs, or else you're spending obscene sums of money to listen to iTunes 128AACs).

Forum Regular
    Crazy.You could buy a very nice cd player and a lot of cds for that price.

bill

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    You guys obviously haven't heard any MSB equipment. If I had an iPod, I'd be seriously considering this.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    If I had an iPod, I'd be seriously considering this.
    As for this post, I cannot tell if you are being fascisous(AR needs a spell checker). Do you mean that if I was a person who only wants IPod with a big budget?

JRA

Forum Regular
    Peter
    Granted i have not heard any of their gear,but don't forget to add on 1200-1500 for the dac.

bill

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    ...don't forget to add on 1200-1500 for the dac...
    Grudgingly -- most people already have a DAC or receiver with a digital input or whatever. At least, most of the target market of this device. If you don't have a favourite DAC that you want to listen to, why would you want digital output from your iPod?

Yes, there are other reasons -- outside of the scope of this post.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    All that money wasted for just an iPod? Sheesh!

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Briefly... let me start by saying that I am an MSB employee who enjoys lurking on audio forums.

It seems some of you have it wrong. The iLink will beat the pants off any CD player you want to put it up against. After all, it sounds better than our own CD player that people buy for $4k... please take the time to look at reviews before you start to say that $4k is too much for a CD player, as well.

This product isn't for everyone. It's for people who have invested in a high quality home system and have the budget to try new technologies. We, as a company, did not design this product because we like iPods. Quite the opposite, in fact. We designed this product because we saw an opportunity to create a high-end source that is innovative and technologically better than a CD player.

A CD player plays the music once and basically glosses over errors. Apple lossless with error correction actually reads the information several times and puts the best possible digital image on the iPod and that's what you listen to, gaining an unprecedented level of clarity. Trust me, people were in awe at CES.

Think you want one but are still skeptical? We have a 14 day money-back guarantee. On a quality system, this will sound better than your current source. Give us a try and see for yourself.

So it also has one of your (wonderful) DACs in it as well?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

AR Newbie Registered Member
    nope... it's just the dock. we wanted people to be able to use it with their own DACs. the idea behind it was to just create a transport that didn't use CDs. we did some of the first high-end CD players back when vinyl was the norm, and feel like the technology is out there to move beyond CDs as well.

if you need a DAC, try the power DAC. it doesn't have the same upgradability as the platinum or the features, but it sounds about the same and can actually run off its internal battery. oh, and it costs 2k less than the platinum so it's like getting the iLink for free.

seriously, though... if you have a nice system and are looking for a top of the line transport, give the trial offer a try. it'll beat the pants off your buddy's player and i can guarantee that it'll sound better than any transport you've ever heard.

Thread Information