Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    There will only be vinyl and music files in the future, in other words: perfection.

At home zone out listening: vinyl. Out about town theme songs: digital; I love it.

Cd's are irrelevant cause they have all the problems of vinyl, but with far less sonic quality.
    DAC's of high quality and affordability is the last nail in the coffin.

The chart above is truth.

I use to work at Rhino Records Store in L.A. and we use to get so many music biz people come and trade in all their promos to me for cash for the weekend it was ridiculous. The music business hates the fact that they are not making copious amounts of "stupid" money anymore, like Hollywood still is. If they would all settle for a middle class life style with some traveling and their medical taken care of, they would not be whining so much.

Wow, I sound bitter. Not really, I just remember all the excess of the industry and think that some had too much (Bon Jovi) and some not enough (Moby Grape/Skip Spence).

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Well, Bon Jovi and others can at least take heart that they will probably get into clubs ahead of everybody else. Maybe that will salve his enormous ego.
    BECAUSE , AT THE END OF THE DAY, that is what this is really all about, that and
    the gravy train going off of the tracks.
    Sand Ninjas = Hilarious

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome
    There will only be vinyl and music files in the future, in other words: perfection.

At home zone out listening: vinyl. Out about town theme songs: digital; I love it.

Cd's are irrelevant cause they have all the problems of vinyl, but with far less sonic quality.
    DAC's of high quality and affordability is the last nail in the coffin.

The chart above is truth.

I use to work at Rhino Records Store in L.A. and we use to get so many music biz people come and trade in all their promos to me for cash for the weekend it was ridiculous. The music business hates the fact that they are not making copious amounts of "stupid" money anymore, like Hollywood still is. If they would all settle for a middle class life style with some traveling and their medical taken care of, they would not be whining so much.

Wow, I sound bitter. Not really, I just remember all the excess of the industry and think that some had too much (Bon Jovi) and some not enough (Moby Grape/Skip Spence).
    Yep, I do think that while CD will fade away; Music Servers will continue to rise and Vinyl will hold its niche market indefinitely...

I really doubt the music industry will have to settle for a middle class lifestyle... More likely they'll have to accept moving from being filthy stinking rich to just being stinking rich or even just rich...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    ...or perhaps just filthy and stinking...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by Enochrome

I would have to disagree with this. Firstly, CDs will be relevant for years to come. I probably have something like 200 CDs. I buy new ones each year. Even if the CD stopped selling, there are people like me that have hundreds, if not thousands of albums in the format. They aren't going to rip all of them to mp3 or FLAC. Personally, I can't be bothered.

And there are problems with vinyl that simply are not issues for CD. These are well documented, and quite significant. Further to that, CD can sound absolutely incredible. All you need is a great player and a decent recording. The only time CD is unlistenable for me is when an album is a victim of the loudness wars, and this isn't a problem with the CD per se. It has everything to do with the recording process and not the medium. Most of my albums sound lively, dynamic, and natural on CD. I even consider albums from digital's early days to sound satisfactory. Certainly not the best example of the format, but then again not every album on vinyl is of the same quality either.

I have gotten into vinyl recently however, and granted I've only got an entry level Music Hall. But overall I'm kind of disappointed. It sounds okay, but dynamics are reduced, and the bite (excitement) that I like as part of the sound seems warmed over. I am actually planning on upgrading to maybe a P3-24. Perhaps I just don't have a good enough table right now, so I'm willing to try something better. However, I think I can safely say that vinyl will continue to be a fun little distraction for me, but will never supplant the CD as the main format I listen to.
    Naim Nait 5i
    Naim CD5X
    Wharfedale Evo2-10
    Linn LP12
    Cambridge Audio 650P, and 550T
    LFD and Nordost cables

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

I would say they are even...

Itunes has killed the music business, and Jon Bon Jovi killed sensible hairstyles while depleting the ozone layer...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by YBArcam
    I would have to disagree with this. Firstly, CDs will be relevant for years to come. I probably have something like 200 CDs. I buy new ones each year. Even if the CD stopped selling, there are people like me that have hundreds, if not thousands of albums in the format. They aren't going to rip all of them to mp3 or FLAC. Personally, I can't be bothered.
    Personally, I'm looking forward to more of the music being published either on DVD (surround) or BLU to make better use of the better dynamic range available and surround.

I'm not really a big fan of these "mp3's". They do ok for when at work and easing an ear piece to listen to, but definitely not when at home with a real audio system.

Quote Originally Posted by YBArcam
    I have gotten into vinyl recently however, and granted I've only got an entry level Music Hall. But overall I'm kind of disappointed. It sounds okay, but dynamics are reduced, and the bite (excitement) that I like as part of the sound seems warmed over. I am actually planning on upgrading to maybe a P3-24. Perhaps I just don't have a good enough table right now, so I'm willing to try something better. However, I think I can safely say that vinyl will continue to be a fun little distraction for me, but will never supplant the CD as the main format I listen to.
    Last year I bought a CD/DVD combo pack. First CD I've purchased in years and no I don't download from bit-torrent. I guess what's kinda sad is that it wasn't a current day group, or even recent past. This was the remix album that George Martin had put together. It's my first surround and allowing for artistic license and the original sound tracks that were available, it is just stunning. These days, I don't find as much music. Guess I'm moving towards the Sammy Hagar, Jimmy Buffett and Willie Nelson venues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information