Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    the only thing that worries me with downloads is the downloads... if that makes sense.
    i shall elaborate. this may annoy you all but movies aren't made just for the benefit of americans, but the WHOLE world. for example, here in australia we haven't yet got to the standard of networking you have got there. much of our cabling is copper based and only major cities have optical even then only some suburbs. outback areas are literally just beginning to get off dial up 56k. we have only 5 free to air channels and still running analogue tv stations. we are in our fourth year of digital tv (still only 5 channels) and third year of hd tv channels, which is only 18-25 hours per week in 1080i, lucky to be 3 hours per week in 1080p. this is even before mentioning african and eastern bloc countries.

what i am saying is that for a technology to have any chance of succeeding it has to be accsessible to the majority of the viewing public with a relatively level playing field. something which solid media is and inernet/VOD isn't. go to 98% of houses anywhere in the world and you will see a dvd player, but how many will have top notch broadband for fast downloads of movies, a pc with a decent video card caopable of producing decent pic quality, or even a tv with a pc input? movie studios and manufacturing companies wont start contemplating d/oads VOD mass production until they are sure everyone has an even playing feild, not just usa veiwing public.

cheers: dazza

ps i am not trying to insult anyone who is american in this post. but i am trying to imply that although it may seem easy over there, not every country or person finds it this way. beleive it or not there are seven continents on this planet not just one and entertainment has to be available to all of them. no harm intended
    of course not.
    Sorry if this disscusion is a bit Amero-centric but we Americans tend to be a bit self centered.
    Truth is if I lived in such a beautiful country as Aussieland I probably wouldn't watch as much TV, and I am not kissin your butt, my neice went there on a field trip and loved the place.
    But you guys are in even a better place than we yanks probably.
    We have a ton of infrastructure that needs replacing, you guys can start from scratch.
    AND BEING AS CLOSE as you are to the "future" (asia) its probably going to be cheaper.
    and there is a certain charm to being a little "undeveloped".
    To live more "real "life than the fantasies spun by a bunch of outoftouchwithreality
    Hollywood writers
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    In other words I am right.
    unlike Kex, I dont beleive they were certain until probably sept of last year, certainly
    after christmas.
    Sure they sold players and you need players out there, but if the other sides software
    is selling better then thats a sure sign that the public is going their way.
    Anyway they probably saw little downside of trying a format war, never stopping to think of the damage they would do to the future market for HD on disc caused by the confusion sown by a format war.
    I do know one thing, if they havent had an exit strategy from the start they are as stupid
    as a certain sir talky.
    AND IF THEY HAVENT IMPLEMENTED IT BY NOW...
    Then they don't deserve to be running a taco stand, much less a major corp
    Sorry Pix, they didn't know last September, it wasn't till after the Warner announcement that they saw the writing on the wall. It wasn't until Walmart and Netflix announced bluray exclusive which pushed them to announce sooner than later that they were willing to concede defeat. So do not bring your toothless and brainless head here trying to look like you were right all along. You have been wrong with 95% of the things you have posted here, and this was no exception.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

End of Story

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Looks like the format war's end is looming.

Even though it's widely expected that HD-DVD won't last much longer, this is the first published report I've seen that explicitly puts a timeline on HD-DVD's demise. ...
    Toshiba officially announces end of HD-DVD -- Toshiba Press Release.

And to think I didn't have cent invested in hardware or software: lucky for once.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Sorry Pix, they didn't know last September, it wasn't till after the Warner announcement that they saw the writing on the wall. It wasn't until Walmart and Netflix announced bluray exclusive which pushed them to announce sooner than later that they were willing to concede defeat. So do not bring your toothless and brainless head here trying to look like you were right all along. You have been wrong with 95% of the things you have posted here, and this was no exception.

I have been saying that Blu will win from the getgo.
    Find ONE of my posts that says otherwise, ass.
    Idiotic posts like this make me doubt that you are the "industry" insider you claim to be.
    You have no clue as to how business works.
    When did tosh have an "exit" strategy?
    FROM the very start, just like ANY modern business basing a large chunk of change
    and, even more importantly, credibility, on a single decision.
    You might not have known as early as last sept, but you are probably the ONLY
    so called "industry insider" that couldn't see the very large neon lettered handwriting
    on the wall.
    If my "toothless and brainless" head could figure it out and your head, emptied of
    common sense by a college education no doubt, couldnt, then you might want to rethink the old career path.
    Or will you have to wait until whatever age you state has as a minimum to work?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

I have been saying that Blu will win from the getgo.
    Find ONE of my posts that says otherwise, ass.
    Anyone can state the obvious when it becomes obvious. You have yet to break a single piece of news, you have been commenting on what has already been reported. Hence, looking at the horses a$$ instead of staring at it face to face.

Idiotic posts like this make me doubt that you are the "industry" insider you claim to be.
    You have no clue as to how business works.
    How would you know? You do not work in the film industry. How would you know if I am right or wrong? Things played out just like I predicted they would in detail. You just commented on what your read. Since that takes no brains, its a perfect strategy for you.

When did tosh have an "exit" strategy?
    They started planning it just before the Walmart announcement. That is confirmed and fact.

FROM the very start, just like ANY modern business basing a large chunk of change
    and, even more importantly, credibility, on a single decision.
    If you plan to fail from the start, you will fail. You do not sink $600 million dollars into something you think you are going to lose.

You might not have known as early as last sept, but you are probably the ONLY
    so called "industry insider" that couldn't see the very large neon lettered handwriting
    on the wall.
    This does not make any sense at all fool, I have been saying the HD DVD was going to lose since January of 2007. You only saw the neon handwriting on the wall after I wrote it.

If my "toothless and brainless" head could figure it out and your head, emptied of
    common sense by a college education no doubt, couldnt, then you might want to rethink the old career path.
    Or will you have to wait until whatever age you state has as a minimum to work?
    Your toothless and brainless head did not have to figure anything out, it was done for you by other posters here like Woochifer. Your brainless and toothless head just likes to ride on others coat tails. So now you are brainless, toothless, old and lazy.

Sounds like you are jealous because most hicks like you never finish third grade.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 02-20-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

It's a tough crowd today ladies and gentlemen. Please stay behind the Plexiglas walls for your own safety.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    It's a tough crowd today ladies and gentlemen. Please stay behind the Plexiglas walls for your own safety.

Not tough at all, just sir talky rewriting history again.
    Someone needs to get him a decent bottle of wiskey do he doesnt have to drink
    hair tonic
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Not tough at all, just sir talky rewriting history again.
    Someone needs to get him a decent bottle of wiskey do he doesnt have to drink
    hair tonic
    Is that English?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Braxus
    Are we talking about HD DVD or has this thread lost interest in such?

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Is that English?
    No G, It's hick. His is a back woods dialect. The only other to use it was bigfoot.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp