HD DVD Drive for XBox 360 Announced

Building on Xbox 360 leadership in high-definition experiences, the company [Microsoft] announced plans to deliver a new Xbox 360 external HD DVD drive in 2006. The new drive will offer millions of Xbox 360 owners the ability to easily enjoy HD DVD movies and will provide consumers with even more choices for experiencing high-definition content, in either physical or digital form.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...04CES06PR.mspx

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    Building on Xbox 360 leadership in high-definition experiences, the company [Microsoft] announced plans to deliver a new Xbox 360 external HD DVD drive in 2006. The new drive will offer millions of Xbox 360 owners the ability to easily enjoy HD DVD movies and will provide consumers with even more choices for experiencing high-definition content, in either physical or digital form.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...04CES06PR.mspx
    Sweet. Yes, I know that the PS3 will have a Blu-Ray drive native to the console out of the box. However, I would not have a problem purchasing a HD-DVD for the 360.

Interesting article though. Thanks for posting it.

Forum Regular
    So, now the Xbox people that were so happy about getting the Xbox so much cheaper then the PS3 is supposed to be aren't so loud. Now, they will have to buy this and who knows what else to be up to par to match the out of the box specs of the PS3.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ryjam282
    So, now the Xbox people that were so happy about getting the Xbox so much cheaper then the PS3 is supposed to be aren't so loud. Now, they will have to buy this and who knows what else to be up to par to match the out of the box specs of the PS3.

Ummm, not quite. As posted on other threads, the PS3 ships WITHOUT a harddrive. So, actually, the XB360 is ahead in the game. It plays games in HD (just uses standard) DVD drive. In my opinion, the Hard Drive far outweighs the HD drive.

As far as specs go? Pretty equal on the game play and graphics. The Sony is going to use an untested Cell to power the system. This is AFTER the had to fire the orginal design team when it caught the system on fire. The XBOX uses 3 processors, and ATI graphics cards. The programming is much easier on the XBOX than the Sony as well.

I think that there is a fair amount of chest beating on both sides, and most people will be happy with either system.

Thread Information