Foods that could improve hearing

I found this article which presents different foods that may help improve hearing.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...hat.html?cat=5
    I don't how viable a source this is, having read another article about clearaudience which sounded a little far-fetched.
    Anyway to recap, what you need is alpha lipoic acid, vitamin E and vitamin B12.
    Just found this aswell:
    http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:nxC978PYGYcJ:www.rd.com/living-healthy/protect-your-hearing/article16093.html+audiologists+"glass+of+wine"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us&client=firefox-a

It appears magnesium is good too. So is a little wine on a regular basis.
    I take multi-vitamins every once in a while. What about you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    What about you guys?
    Just my 'special Brownies.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Exactly, L!

aa, you need to increase your daily intake of green, leafy plants. Not only will this improve your acuity, but will enhance your ability to detect minute nuances of sound....
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

nightflier
    Not to hijack this thread or anything, but what about the effect of low-level but constant noise on hearing. I have a server room right next door to me, and while the dB level is negligible, I swear that after years of sitting in this office it has affected my hearing (at least more so than growing older).

Better start eating more greens...

Mr. Science Says: Without doing the research, and I will--trust me--I would think that being exposed to a certain frequency would have deleterious effect on your ability to discern similarly-pitched sounds. Further, I would say that if these sounds were similar to the first in terms of timbre, etc., you would probably have a difficult time picking them up. I believe this relates to habituation, which is the attenuation of a response to a stimulus after repeated exposure. Think about your sense of smell. If you walk into a room that smelled bad, you'd notice the foul odor right away. After awhile, the olfactory (smell-related) centers of your brain would make your perception of that smell less intense, allowing you to tune onto other smells....

Go Green!

Foods that could improve hearing?
    Alcohol or funny cigarettes

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Wait'll GM gets a load of this post.

Send me somma dem brownies LDB!

Thanks guys. Now I'm hungry.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    cough....

Suspended
    Don't bogart knucklehead!

Can't say i eat much greenies Ive had 3 pizzas in the past 24hours. I love my metabolism

I found this article which presents different foods that may help improve hearing.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...hat.html?cat=5
    I don't how viable a source this is, having read another article about clearaudience which sounded a little far-fetched.
    Anyway to recap, what you need is alpha lipoic acid, vitamin E and vitamin B12.
    Just found this aswell:
    http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:nxC978PYGYcJ:www.rd.com/living-healthy/protect-your-hearing/article16093.html+audiologists+"glass+of+wine"&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us&client=firefox-a

It appears magnesium is good too. So is a little wine on a regular basis.
    I take multi-vitamins every once in a while. What about you guys?
    I get the vitamin E, B12 and green leave vegetable along with a good dose of excersize which normally makes my hearing seem more acute afterward. Though I am doubtful this will help improve what hearing I have, rather maybe help save what I've got from going away.

I'm due for a couple scans of my right ear soon to see why I have have pressure behind it, I'll ask the ENT what he thinks of this and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    I get the vitamin E, B12 and green leave vegetable along with a good dose of excersize which normally makes my hearing seem more acute afterward. Though I am doubtful this will help improve what hearing I have, rather maybe help save what I've got from going away.

I'm due for a couple scans of my right ear soon to see why I have have pressure behind it, I'll ask the ENT what he thinks of this and report back.
    Yeah, please do! And perhaps ask him to give you advice on how to keep good lifelong hearing.

As many of vitamin E's benefits are well documented, there are certain risks of ingestion of vitamin E that need to be described. For example, if you take beta blockers for cardio-vascular health, you should know that vitamin E can interfere with their action. Likewise, if you take coumadin, a "blood thinner" that is derived from warfarin, vitamin E supplementation may increase your risk of bleeding.

As with all meds and supplements, you really should check your doctor or pharmacist before you get started. THe University of Maryland has a good site describing vitamin E's benefits and risks:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/vitamin-e-000341.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    As many of vitamin E's benefits are well documented, there are certain risks of ingestion of vitamin E that need to be described. For example, if you take beta blockers for cardio-vascular health, you should know that vitamin E can interfere with their action. Likewise, if you take coumadin, a "blood thinner" that is derived from warfarin, vitamin E supplementation may increase your risk of bleeding.

As with all meds and supplements, you really should check your doctor or pharmacist before you get started. THe University of Maryland has a good site describing vitamin E's benefits and risks:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/vitamin-e-000341.htm
    I'm glad my body is still 'young' and 'healthy'.

That's "good". 'Cause you're older and less healthy today. And will continue to deteriorate and fall apart, whether you take the E's or not, y'know....
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    That's "good". 'Cause you're older and less healthy today. And will continue to deteriorate and fall apart, whether you take the E's or not, y'know....
    Though you are right, I am older today than yesterday - I think I am actually healthier. I am actually probably the healthiest I've been my whole life. At least, I am in the best shape I've ever been in.

Thread Information