Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ajani
    And another one:

Hmmmmm. the smaller tower reminds me of Paradigm Sig s6

Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Hmmmmm. the smaller tower reminds me of Paradigm Sig s6
    It has a similar, though far less 'blingy', appearance. I appreciate Revel's decision to use black trim rather than silver.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    It has a similar, though far less 'blingy', appearance. I appreciate Revel's decision to use black trim rather than silver.

I have to agree that the small Revel tower is much more to my liking. I have not heard either so I am commenting on my viusal choice.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Yeah they are less blingy, but the bling never botherd me. I like Paradigms lively character. Though I've never heard the Signature series, Peabody and I read a pro review where the guy said the the Signature S8 at $8k sound a lot like the Revel Studio2's at half the price. IF that's true, tha'ts saying something...

...Im sure the dealer here in St. Louis...the same guy who sold Peabody the F52,s and the same guy we hang out with at his home listening to his Salons and Studio's is going to be hounding me now to buy some new Revels.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Ajani
    Yeah they are less blingy, but the bling never botherd me. I like Paradigms lively character. Though I've never heard the Signature series, Peabody and I read a pro review where the guy said the the Signature S8 at $8k sound a lot like the Revel Studio2's at half the price. IF that's true, tha'ts saying something...

...Im sure the dealer here in St. Louis...the same guy who sold Peabody the F52,s and the same guy we hang out with at his home listening to his Salons and Studio's is going to be hounding me now to buy some new Revels.
    I haven't heard the Studio 2, but I can't say that I liked the Signature S6. It just sounded loud and harsh when I auditioned it on an all Rotel system. Could be synergy, since Rotel is not what I'd call a subtle laid back brand. So perhaps the overall system was just too lively.

Looking at the new Revels, they should have put a little bling in the tweeter to break up the flow of black.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    I haven't heard the Studio 2, but I can't say that I liked the Signature S6. It just sounded loud and harsh when I auditioned it on an all Rotel system. Could be synergy, since Rotel is not what I'd call a subtle laid back brand. So perhaps the overall system was just too lively.
    Rotel and Paradigm (Reference) Signature S6.....naw, that sounds like a disaster! Dont think the Rotel would not get out all of the Sigs goodness. But I could be wrong, Guys love there B&W with Rotel.

For me it would be more like Signature and Levinson...Yeah !!!!

Ajani....I know you are a well read man....astute! I've never heard a Wharfedale speaker in my life, but have always liked the looks and reviews of the now discontinued Opus line and now the new Jade series that replaced them. Do you know anything about Wharfedale?

Ajani
    Ajani....I know you are a well read man....astute! I've never heard a Wharfedale speaker in my life, but have always liked the looks and reviews of the now discontinued Opus line and now the new Jade series that replaced them. Do you know anything about Wharfedale?
    I really don't know much about Wharfedale. I Know their Diamond Series has generally received good reviews and the Jade 5 is 5 star rated by WHF. But I've never auditioned one. Actually, I've never even seen one in a store.

I get the impression that they sometimes get overlooked in Britain on account of being "Britain's Most Famous Loudspeakers". Much like the way many audiophiles would dismiss a Klipsch or JBL model without even auditioning it.

If you get to audition one, then let me know how you like it. Especially if you get to compare it to Revel.

Ajani
    The most exciting thing about the Performa3 line is that the successor to the F32 (the F206) is $1K cheaper than the F32. Also the M106 is $300 less than the M22. I really love the new price points. Most brands tend to either adjust for inflation or take the opportunity to launch a more expensive product than the old one.

Take for example my other favourite brand, Monitor Audio. The GS20 ($3K) was replaced by GX200 at $4.5K. That's a whole other level of quality not just a mere update of the old version.

So while the F206 is down to $3K from the F32 ($4K), the GX200 is up to $4.5K from the GS20 ($3K). Guess which one I'll be saving my pennies for.

Ajani
    One more:

Yeah...from looking at the pics....they need a little bling. And after seeing the Studio and Salon in person and taking a close look at them from front to back, they are amazing to look at, but in my estimation, could use a little bling as well.

The Jade 5 and 3 has just enough bling in my opinion.

Ajani
    Yeah...from looking at the pics....they need a little bling. And after seeing the Studio and Salon in person and taking a close look at them from front to back, they are amazing to look at, but in my estimation, could use a little bling as well.

The Jade 5 and 3 has just enough bling in my opinion.

The Jades certainly have style, without being too blingy IMO...

Ajani
    Close up of the C208:

Revel Me This | Home Theater

Ajani

Nice...are you at the show with your camera?

Ajani
    Nice...are you at the show with your camera?
    I wish. The links (below the pics) are from hometheatre.com

Ajani
    Better pic of M106:

Roger's Revel-ation

Ajani
    Best quality pic so far:

Roger's Revel-ation

Man!!!! They look nice!

So I assume thats 2 of the F208's? The F308 has 3 woofers according to the information I've read.

Ajani
    Man!!!! They look nice!

So I assume thats 2 of the F208's? The F308 has 3 woofers according to the information I've read.
    Yep. I love the new look. I don't think models of the F308 or the B110 were at CES. So that is another F208 (probably the one they were using to audition the speakers at the show).

Best of all, the initial impressions of the sound of the new range have been extremely positive.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    Well if they only changed the tweeter - it isn't worth it. There isn't enough bass and dynamics and weight and "believability" to the speakers to be worth $2k let alone the $5k. The Roksan speaker I am currently reviewing MUCH MUCH better than the prior 805 loudspeakers and goes for $1500. Much better integration of drivers - arguably one of the best Ribbon to cone integration I have heard - without that you really have nothing - and B&W's never integrate really at any price.
    Amount of bass I would think depends on the room and associated equipment. In a small room what is considered a bass-light speaker might be fine. I happen to think that bass is usually over emphasized anyways. Live music is kind of light sounding. Dynaudio is known for producing prodigious bass. I have heard a pair and it was way over the top, the bass overwhelmed everything else. I'm sure they can be made to sound better though, with the right room and system matching, toe in, etc.

Okay, you can't tell a lot from a You Tube video, but these sound very clear and dynamic:

B&W 705 New Update - YouTube

Always wanted to hear the 705, could be in person I wouldn't like them as much but then again who knows?
    Naim Nait 5i
    Naim CD5X
    Wharfedale Evo2-10
    Linn LP12
    Cambridge Audio 650P, and 550T
    LFD and Nordost cables

RGA
    Forum Regular
    YBA Arcaam

Man I could almost hear the driver separation problems in the youtube clip - I swear those speakers bug the hell out of me with their "pingy" tweeters. Argh.

I agree Dynaudio has lots of bass - it overwhelms the midrange and the result is a boom and sizzle quality )though I don't find the treble too bad). I haven't heard a Dynaudio yet that I would buy. I generally preferred their lower end stuff as being competitive.

In a small room smaller speakers with less bass might be able to get by. Bass is less of a problem if everything else is spot on. But with B&W bass isn't the number one problem - it's the driver integration of their standmounts that does them in and their choice of driver materials and crossover points - you can read about them on Audioasylum (poster Layman) as to what the problems are. If those were fixed up I could live with the bass - I am not really a bass hound. I care about the midrange first and foremost.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Ajani and frenchmon

if you have heard the Paradigm Studio 100V2 then you have pretty much heard the S8. It's a 100V2 in nicer cabinetry - with only slight sonic differences. The big Paradigm dealer in my town in Canada sent the Sig line back because it wasn't better enough over the 100s and nobody bought them at 4 times the list price.

I am not exactly sure what the fuss is over the looks of these speakers - they look like every other multi-way skinny box from a dozen other makers - not special in the least in the looks department. JMO.

Rotel - depends on the Rotel - they're hardly bright in the Bryston or Anthem (which Paradigm owns) sense of the word. Rotel often tends to be a little less bright than your average SS amp maker - at least these days (they did go through some design changes the last 3-4 years (for the better).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information