Suspended

Could, THIS, be the next movie service, surplanting all others

Courtesy of a friend who sent me this link. Looks like Blockbuster and Netflix may have some competition. The article don't give any info on interface with home theater though.

http://earthlink.com.com/2100-11398_...part=earthlink

Forum Regular
    well...it sounds good. but..
    will you be able to tell the diff. from this to BD or HD?
    Just seems your gonna loose out on quality.

Suspended
    Personally this don't appeal to me. Can you imagine standing around in line waiting to download your movie. As I am in a video store I don't see too many people who just walk in and pick up a movie they are looking for and take off to the counter. They are mostly like me who browse to see what they may have missed and narrow the choices down to what you have time to watch in the rental time allowed. It might work for some, I don't know. Also, for me, it will start in only standard definition. My player is HD and most DVD players now at least upsample.

I have been using Blockbuster because they offer Blu-ray but their customer service is starting to fall badly. At least at the one I use. Hollywood went out of business in my neighborhood. I don't know if this is a broader event or just one store.

This thing also reminds me of how you could, and still can maybe, rent movies from McDonald's at those Redbox machines. I'll have to ask around to see if those still exist. This guy behind the deal seems to have some major help though.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Personally this don't appeal to me. Can you imagine standing around in line waiting to download your movie. As I am in a video store I don't see too many people who just walk in and pick up a movie they are looking for and take off to the counter. They are mostly like me who browse to see what they may have missed and narrow the choices down to what you have time to watch in the rental time allowed. It might work for some, I don't know. Also, for me, it will start in only standard definition. My player is HD and most DVD players now at least upsample.

I have been using Blockbuster because they offer Blu-ray but their customer service is starting to fall badly. At least at the one I use. Hollywood went out of business in my neighborhood. I don't know if this is a broader event or just one store.

This thing also reminds me of how you could, and still can maybe, rent movies from McDonald's at those Redbox machines. I'll have to ask around to see if those still exist. This guy behind the deal seems to have some major help though.

iTS A GOOD IDEA.
    And you wouldnt be "waiting" if there were more than one kiosk.
    With usb drives approaching higher and higher capacity it might just be a winner,
    especially if you could set up a booth anywhere
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    This could be a winner, especially if he sticks with standard definition. I have my doubts about high definition titles getting there anytime soon, as Hollywood wants that to stay a disc thing they can develope for future revenue. When bluray gets settled in the market, then perhaps we could see HD movies like this. I don't rent, so this is not for me.

He is going to have to DRM the hell out of these movies, or he will not see Fox, Disney or Sony titles in his kiosk.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs