Exclamation China creates own high-def format.

While western market consumers deal with HD DVD, Blu-ray Disc, the Chinese market will get its own separate high-definition optical format specific to its region. CH-DVD – which stands for China High Definition DVD.

Rather than developing a completely new technology, CH-DVD is based on HD DVD technology. It is currently unclear if the DVD Forum – those responsible for the HD DVD specification – had any part in developing the format.

The China High Definition DVD Industry Association said that it will “make a big push to launch CH-DVD player into the Chinese market in 2008” and “encourage all related industries to... to make the transition from standard definition DVD to high definition DVD.”

http://www.dailytech.com/China+Borro...rticle8795.htm

Smokey,

If I didn't know any better, I'd say with this post you are the master-baiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    While western market consumers deal with HD DVD, Blu-ray Disc, the Chinese market will get its own separate high-definition optical format specific to its region. CH-DVD – which stands for China High Definition DVD.

Rather than developing a completely new technology, CH-DVD is based on HD DVD technology. It is currently unclear if the DVD Forum – those responsible for the HD DVD specification – had any part in developing the format.

The China High Definition DVD Industry Association said that it will “make a big push to launch CH-DVD player into the Chinese market in 2008” and “encourage all related industries to... to make the transition from standard definition DVD to high definition DVD.”

http://www.dailytech.com/China+Borro...rticle8795.htm
    I have not confirmed this from an official source (full disclaimer in advance) but it looks like the CH DVD players are pretty much based on the Toshiba HD A30 and are backwards compatible with HD DVD, DVD, VCD and CDs. They, of course, also play CH DVDs but no BR (no surprise).

The more interesting find, however, is it looks like current and future HD DVD players can also play CH DVDs with a minor firmware upgrade, and that China plans to export their CH DVD players to the States and elsewhere to be used as HD DVD players... I would say this bodes very well for HD DVD (and consumers, pricewise) if true. I guess we will see if this is just speculation on the AVS Forum, or actual fact in the days to come.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    The more interesting find, however, is it looks like current and future HD DVD players can also play CH DVDs with a minor firmware upgrade, and that China plans to export their CH DVD players to the States and elsewhere to be used as HD DVD players... I would say this bodes very well for HD DVD (and consumers, pricewise) if true. I guess we will see if this is just speculation on the AVS Forum, or actual fact in the days to come.

---Dave
    That is good analysis.

The way it is going, not only we may have two competing formats, but also two world zone of HD format. Japan seem going the blue ray, while China going with HD-DVD format. So as of now, having only one HD format seem less and less likely.

Forum Regular
    Competition is always good,especially when the Blu Ray is slacking. and HD needs a little push.

Thread Information