nightflier

For the analog crowd: Perreaux SXV2

For those who are into vinyl and who can bear the hideous website, Perreaux just released a new phono preamp. What is particularly nice is the outboard dip switches allowing any kind of setting for gain, cap., even RIAA equalization. I have no idea how it sounds, but I've been very impressed with gear from the down-under brothers (Perreaux & Plinus) that I've auditioned. Here's the link:

http://www.perreaux.com/product.php?idp=57

I've heard that it's hard to find any new Perreaux gear here in the US, but I sure would like to see or read about what this preamp can do. Online, all I've been able to find is Perreaux's own announcement. Anything else out there? Anyone have any comments about Perreaux's past offerings?

Audio Enthusiast
    I've not heard the Perreaux but I think the physical design and layout is outstanding. Looks like discrete dual mono circuit boards and the external DIP switches are favorable in my opinion. I find it disheartening that more manufacturers do not offer such flexibility. Cartridge selection is vast and they are not all rated equally in regards to interface. The ability to adjust the capacititative and resistive loads optimizes the cartridge selection to the phono pre.

I currently use a Michael Yee PFe-1 and know from experience that experimenting with various settings with a particular cartridge can yield amazing improvements. I like the way the Perreaux exposes the DIPs on the rear. I currently have to disassemble the cover to gain access to the DIPs on my current phono-pre.

However, I think I would have seperated the power supply from the main enclosure. Phonograph systems are so very susceptible to external sources of noise and interference. And the toroidal equipped power supplies on my hardware have a distinct "hum" that becomes more apparent with age.

However, I am sure the Perreaux engineers have thoughtfully considered the layout and that just isn't a problem.

I'd definitely be curiousto audition this piece if it were available. It looks well built.

nightflier

Dip Switches

Quote Originally Posted by squeegy200
    I currently use a Michael Yee PFe-1 and know from experience that experimenting with various settings with a particular cartridge can yield amazing improvements. I like the way the Perreaux exposes the DIPs on the rear. I currently have to disassemble the cover to gain access to the DIPs on my current phono-pre.
    You & me both. I have a Phonomena (my current favorite), but it's a pain to switch dips, especially since the screws are mini-hex screws that require a special wrench. The Phonomena is a great sounding amp, but the switch changing is beyond irritating.

I just read that the Perreaux has to be turned off before making any dip switch changes. That does make this unit less attractive, especially for quick A/B comparisons. Someone at Perreaux should have figured that out. The Phonomena will allow me to operate the unbit with the cover off and I can switch the settings while it is on. Also considering that there are several phono preamps that have front-mounted gain & capacitance adjustment, thus allowing changes during playback, there should be no technical reason why this cannot be done with the Perreaux unit.

Quote Originally Posted by squeegy200
    However, I think I would have seperated the power supply from the main enclosure. Phonograph systems are so very susceptible to external sources of noise and interference. And the toroidal equipped power supplies on my hardware have a distinct "hum" that becomes more apparent with age.
    I agree. This is one of the reasons why I am really dying to try one of the battery-powered ones like the Sutherland Ph3D, although I don't know if the adjustments can be made w/o removing the cover.

Thread Information