Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar

360 HD-DVD Price Drop 5 Free Movies

MS announced that the add-on HD-DVD drive will now be priced at $179 US, and include
    5 Free HD-DVD's.

Not a bad way to step up to HD-DVD if you have a 360. Read here:

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/07...5-free-movies/

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I was wondering when this would happen. I've been seeing the Toshiba players on sale at great low prices with the free HD-DVD offers (though I think only 3). Makes it awefully tempting.

Kudos on them for ponying up $1 billion to fix all the broken ones too. My Bro's got one collecting dust in his closet that will be resurrected now.

Best Buy just dropped price to $149. Includes King Kong in the box, and 5 FREE movies after that!

Pretty sweet.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Best Buy just dropped price to $149. Includes King Kong in the box, and 5 FREE movies after that!

Pretty sweet.
    YEAH, real sweet.
    Dont you smell the blood in the water?
    Target, blockbuster, bad news everyday for the hddvd camp.
    Well, when you get tired of those five movies you can park the player next to your granpa's
    BETAMAX
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    YEAH, real sweet.
    Well, when you get tired of those five movies you can park the player next to your granpa's
    BETAMAX
    Ummmm sure. Like it or not HD-DVD will be with us for longer than you apparently think. True, there is more studio support for Blu-Ray, but by no means are there no good HD-DVD movies out on the market.

I wouldn't say that HD DVD is the beta max in this arena simply because there are plenty of movies to either rent or buy. Hollywood Video (a company under Movie Gallery) the 2nd largest chain has indicated that they will be stocking BOTH HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

But thanks for your input.

Ummmm sure. Like it or not HD-DVD will be with us for longer than you apparently think. True, there is more studio support for Blu-Ray, but by no means are there no good HD-DVD movies out on the market.

I wouldn't say that HD DVD is the beta max in this arena simply because there are plenty of movies to either rent or buy. Hollywood Video (a company under Movie Gallery) the 2nd largest chain has indicated that they will be stocking BOTH HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

ANYTIME, and if you ever need any concrete to pour into that thing (makes a great boat anchor) just let me know!
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Didn't you know that Pixelthis knows everything? He has actually passed rank on Woochifer in my most annoying list. Sorry Wooch you are no longer at the top buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Didn't you know that Pixelthis knows everything? He has actually passed rank on Woochifer in my most annoying list. Sorry Wooch you are no longer at the top buddy!

Hear, Hear good man. Actually, I would say that although Wooch can be hardheaded, at least he puts together a strong arguement. Pixel just blathers. I don't even read the post as the structure is too difficult to string together. Must be some sort of train of thought (empty thoughts at that) just put to keypad.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Well, thanks for admitting I know everything.
    And being on your "most annoying list " is a true honor
    You cant beleive that I actually care about what you think do ya?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

nightflier

Ahem...

YEAH, real sweet.
    BETAMAX
    Even if one doesn't use it for HD-DVD, it can still be used to watch regular DVDs. It's not necessarily my setup of choice, but for many people (think college students in dorms, your typical xbox owner) who don't have a lot of space for other gear or lots of money to spend, that's a great add-on to their gaming system, even if the format eventually withers away (and I don't think that will happen for a while, anyhow). Furthermore, if the format does falter, I expect the disks to drop in price pretty quickly making these even more attractive to penny-pinching teens and college students.

And not to muddy the waters even more, but I read recently that xbox sales figures are wiping the floor with ps3 sales figures (same is true for game disk sales, apparently). I'm not so sure that this format war will be over so quickly, at least not on the gaming front. And if Microsoft throws in more free movies, bundle discounts, other goodies into the mix, or maybe even a $100 rebate on those drives, these will be flying off the shelves. And don't think Microsoft is above doing something like that, they have a history of dumping product on the market and being the lone winner in the end....

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Even if one doesn't use it for HD-DVD, it can still be used to watch regular DVDs. It's not necessarily my setup of choice, but for many people (think college students in dorms, your typical xbox owner) who don't have a lot of space for other gear or lots of money to spend, that's a great add-on to their gaming system, even if the format eventually withers away (and I don't think that will happen for a while, anyhow). Furthermore, if the format does falter, I expect the disks to drop in price pretty quickly making these even more attractive to penny-pinching teens and college students.

Actually, the only reason to buy the player would be to playback HD-DVD movies. The 360 console will play regular DVD movies out of the box. So to buy the HD-DVD player would be a $149-$179 redundancy.

But your point on low budget players is well taken. I have about 6 HD-DVD movies now, and really enjoy how well the 360 handles the playback. I bought one early so I missed the freebies (not counting King Kong that came with it). But I have also rented several from NetFlix, and think its great.

nightflier

What an oversight!

Actually, the only reason to buy the player would be to playback HD-DVD movies. The 360 console will play regular DVD movies out of the box. So to buy the HD-DVD player would be a $149-$179 redundancy.
    I didn't know that - I thought this was a CD player. Well then I have to say that it's pretty silly for Microsoft not to include an HD-DVD player in the new 120Gb black xbox. But then again, when has Microsoft done anything that made sense in an upgrade? They certainly aren't doing enough to help the HD-DVD camp....

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I didn't know that - I thought this was a CD player. Well then I have to say that it's pretty silly for Microsoft not to include an HD-DVD player in the new 120Gb black xbox. But then again, when has Microsoft done anything that made sense in an upgrade? They certainly aren't doing enough to help the HD-DVD camp....
    The main talking point for MS NOT including the HD-DVD drive was that games were not dependant upon HD-DVD tech for HD quality. Games on DVD will supply HD graphics, and don't require a HD drive to utilize.

Thus, by not including the HD drive (either HD or Blu-Ray) MS lopped off about $150 off the price of the machine. Hence the price discrepancy between the PS3 and the 360.

Also, MS has not ruled out/even hinted at a blu-ray ad-on later if HD-DVD fails. In this fashion they are not saddled with a boat anchor if a format fails.

Frankly, I'm in on that line of thought. First and formost the console is a GAMING machine. But, if you want to utilize HD formats, they are available, much cheaper than a standalone player (or at least marginally cheaper now).

So, if you want to play HD movies (not including d/l movies off the MS service---don't need the HD-DVD drive to play the HD movie d/l) buy the drive. If not, save yourself the money.

Cool

The main talking point for MS NOT including the HD-DVD drive was that games were not dependant upon HD-DVD tech for HD quality. Games on DVD will supply HD graphics, and don't require a HD drive to utilize.

Thus, by not including the HD drive (either HD or Blu-Ray) MS lopped off about $150 off the price of the machine. Hence the price discrepancy between the PS3 and the 360.

Also, MS has not ruled out/even hinted at a blu-ray ad-on later if HD-DVD fails. In this fashion they are not saddled with a boat anchor if a format fails.

Frankly, I'm in on that line of thought. First and formost the console is a GAMING machine. But, if you want to utilize HD formats, they are available, much cheaper than a standalone player (or at least marginally cheaper now).

So, if you want to play HD movies (not including d/l movies off the MS service---don't need the HD-DVD drive to play the HD movie d/l) buy the drive. If not, save yourself the money.
    I like a good look to my HT, and will die before I clutter it up with gaming machine crap
    But I agree that modularity is good, gives you more flexibility, and you're only out a few hundred when you turn that thing into a doorstop.
    AND microsoft is the darth vader of the corporate world, dont be surprized to wake up one day and that box is eating your dog (think the old bowie song, TVC15)
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

I like a good look to my HT, and will die before I clutter it up with gaming machine crap
    But I agree that modularity is good, gives you more flexibility, and you're only out a few hundred when you turn that thing into a doorstop.
    AND microsoft is the darth vader of the corporate world, dont be surprized to wake up one day and that box is eating your dog (think the old bowie song, TVC15)
    If you don't want one, don't buy it. If you don't like gaming, then your best bet would be to stay away from it. And as far as the door stop thing...whatever. If the format dies in a year or 2 so what. I got out of it what I paid for it. If they were $500 plus that would be a different story, but for $160 I think it was a pretty good deal.

If you don't want one, don't buy it. If you don't like gaming, then your best bet would be to stay away from it. And as far as the door stop thing...whatever. If the format dies in a year or 2 so what. I got out of it what I paid for it. If they were $500 plus that would be a different story, but for $160 I think it was a pretty good deal.
    Absolutely.
    But also figure in the cost of discs.
    I have spent several grand on various DVD players over the years, and at least ten
    grand on software
    The average human is created in nine months and consists of a few pounds of chemicals
    and a lot of water, but the software takes at least twenty years.
    Its always that way
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Absolutely.
    But also figure in the cost of discs.
    I have spent several grand on various DVD players over the years, and at least ten
    grand on software
    The average human is created in nine months and consists of a few pounds of chemicals
    and a lot of water, but the software takes at least twenty years.
    Its always that way
    Costs of discs are inconsequential to the use of the product. I tend to rent more than buy, and Netflix offers HD-DVD. So I get a great picture, with minimum cost. If I want the movie then I buy it. If HD-DVD dies, it will be fine too, as my 360 is primarly a game machine.

Either way for $160, it ain't bad for a HD player.

nightflier

Oh, just buy that xBox, you know you want it!

Well that new Black xBox should be right up your alley, then . It should fit nicely sitting on top of that Integra. And if you don't like HD-DVD, that's OK 'cause it's not included, but you'll still enjoy the best games available out there. At least you won't feel like you paid for something you didn't need like all the PS3 owners who won't be watching BR disks or who's TVs are not 1080p.

How low can you go? Has everyone seen this already? http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/07/25...ss-disc-heist/
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    How low can you go? Has everyone seen this already? http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/07/25...ss-disc-heist/
    Thats really funny, even a bunch of "snatch and grabbers" know which formats going to make it.
    Think I'll forget about my vacation and check out Sonys new player (499$)
    Still a bit high but doable
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

nightflier

Very funny

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    The thief probably owns a PS3. Let's just leave it at that folks.

Thread Information