Red face 300GB disc set to challenge Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

While Sony and Toshiba are battling out to decide on the standards for the next generation DVD format, there is a new format of storage called Holographic memory discs which offers capacities much more than what these new formats promises us in a years time.

A computer disc about the size of a DVD that can hold 60 times more data will go on sale in 2006, according to its American developer InPhase Technologies. The discs, holding 300GB each, use so-called Tapestry holographic memory technology to store data by interference of light. InPhase Technologies along with their partners Hitachi Maxell would start delivering the discs and compatible drives by the end of next year in the retail market.

New discs can store more than 26 hours of broadcast-quality high-definition video on a single 300GB disk, recorded at a data rate of 160Mbps. The discs are 13cm in diameter and a little wider and thicker than conventional DVDs.

Unlike other technologies (such as DVD/Bluray/DVD-HD) that record one data bit at a time, holography allows a million bits of data to be written and read in parallel with a single flash of light. This enables transfer rates significantly higher than current optical storage device.This enables transfer rates significantly higher than current optical storage device.

Looks like Blu-ray and HD-DVD will have competiton even before they get started

http://www.newscientist.com/article....ine-news_rss20

Kam
    so........................... peter jackson could put the entire extended lotr trilogy on only TWO discs now.... hehehe.
    /create

Very interesting. What will be next?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Very interesting. What will be next?
    Probably find enought content to fill 300Gb space. I think 2 hr HD movie with soudtrack and extra will only fill like around 50GB or 60 GB of space on a disc (or may be little more). May be as Kam siad, we could put whole trilogy of an artist on one disc

But usually one problem associate with brand new format such as this is that it might make previous format obselete and it won't be backward compatible. So we have to throw away all of DVDs and DVD player we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Probably find enought content to fill 300Gb space. I think 2 hr HD movie with soudtrack and extra will only fill like around 50GB or 60 GB of space on a disc (or may be little more). May be as Kam siad, we could put whole trilogy of an artist on one disc

But usually one problem associate with brand new format such as this is that it might make previous format obselete and it won't be backward compatible. So we have to throw away all of DVDs and DVD player we have.
    Throw away? Huh? I still haven't thrown away my old 8-tracks.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    What will be next?
    I think eventually we will see the end of these tangible storage device formats. People are just starting to get use to paying to download music files. Perhaps each home will have its own server/hard drive/HDTV interface/PC device that handles all of this.
    Then it's just a matter of buying the movie from the website and storing it however you prefer. Probably with backup. If it's all in 1's and 0's, stored on your hard-drive, playable by the OS, then we don't need these constant format wars...lower cost to the consumer, and lower cost to the manufacturer...in fact, from the studio's perspective, you're taking them right out of the equation.

The big obstacle here will waiting for the studios to overcome their fears. I can't see them supporting this with their current mindset. They're so afraid of piracy (and for good reason) that a completely format-less format probably scares the hell out of them...all their property is exposed to some clever hacker being able to share it online.

But in the end, I think if they believe they could sell a movie for $15-$20, just for the data, and take out the production costs, the distribution costs, and all the middle-man companies profits along the way to put in their own pockets, they'll do it.

And if it puts an end to format wars and compatibility fears, I'm all for it.

Throw away? Huh? I still haven't thrown away my old 8-tracks.
    Well, then this might be your big chance to get rid them all for good LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I think eventually we will see the end of these tangible storage device formats. People are just starting to get use to paying to download music files. Perhaps each home will have its own server/hard drive/HDTV interface/PC device that handles all of this.
    Then it's just a matter of buying the movie from the website and storing it however you prefer. Probably with backup. If it's all in 1's and 0's, stored on your hard-drive, playable by the OS, then we don't need these constant format wars...lower cost to the consumer, and lower cost to the manufacturer...in fact, from the studio's perspective, you're taking them right out of the equation.

The big obstacle here will waiting for the studios to overcome their fears. I can't see them supporting this with their current mindset. They're so afraid of piracy (and for good reason) that a completely format-less format probably scares the hell out of them...all their property is exposed to some clever hacker being able to share it online.

But in the end, I think if they believe they could sell a movie for $15-$20, just for the data, and take out the production costs, the distribution costs, and all the middle-man companies profits along the way to put in their own pockets, they'll do it.

And if it puts an end to format wars and compatibility fears, I'm all for it.
    I agree to a point. Now there will be hard drive storage wars. New ways to store 1's and 0's that make hard drives obsolete. And the cycle continues down a new road.

Costs for downloading will increase. Pirate software to beat the system will abound. New ways to spend money are around the corner I think.

But still, I think there will be advanages for us, the consumer. Just don't think that saving money will be one of them.

Well, then this might be your big chance to get rid them all for good LOL
    Nooooooooooo! Can't do that. What will I play in my 8-track player? Yes, it still playes. It's out in the shed, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    That will probably be true, but it might be 15 or 20 years down the road when everybody have high bandwidth connection. I have 1.5 Mb internet connection, and it takes me about 4 hrs to download 1 GB worth of data. With 50 GB of data for HD movie, it will take 200 hrs or about 10 days. Even if we have 15 GB internet bandwidth connection, it will take 20 hrs to down load a HD movie.

So I imagine storage formats will still be with use for a while

Nooooooooooo! Can't do that. What will I play in my 8-track player? Yes, it still playes. It's out in the shed, but it works.
    I would leave it where its at. You don't make Rats and cockroaches homeless heheheh

That will probably be true, but it might be 15 or 20 years down the road when everybody have high bandwidth connection. I have 1.5 Mb internet connection, and it takes me about 4 hrs to download 1 GB worth of data. With 50 GB of data for HD movie, it will take 200 hrs or about 10 days. Even if we have 15 GB internet bandwidth connection, it will take 20 hrs to down load a HD movie.

I would leave it where its at. You don't make Rats and cockroaches homeless heheheh
    Oh, hardy har har. It actually gets better FM reception than anything I've bought over the last 30 years.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Blu-ray/HD DVD Could Become Irrelevant as HVD Nears

When it comes to the format war, all the talk has been about Blu-ray and HD DVD, but another more advanced technology could actually replace both before they even really have a chance to make their respective marks. Holographic disks can store a ton of data and can read and write data faster as well.

Full Story;

http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.as...=11193&filter=
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    When it comes to the format war, all the talk has been about Blu-ray and HD DVD, but another more advanced technology could actually replace both before they even really have a chance to make their respective marks. Holographic disks can store a ton of data and can read and write data faster as well.

Full Story;

http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.as...=11193&filter=
    This seems to be getting around fast. Did you see Smokey's thread? 300GB disc set to challenge Blu-ray and HD-DVD.

Looks like the same thing by a different writer.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Cool Check out Collidascape DVD management system

__________________________________________________ ________________________

It basically is a server that burns the dvd to a hard drive inside the server. The server is connected to the Network in the house. It transmits HD audio/video down a cat5 through your network to a Solutions Box, which recieves the data. Then can be outputed to the reciever or to the monitor itself. And solutions box on the network will output the transmitted data. Its preatty sweet the way the onscreen menu works. Its a librry user interface that goes out onto the internet and downloads the cover art for all the DVD's in the library. And you can search by name, catagory, ect... easy for me to update, easy for the clients to operate. Preatty kool thing, kinda pricey though -napalm

Quote Originally Posted by napalm223
    . Its preatty sweet the way the onscreen menu works. Its a librry user interface that goes out onto the internet and downloads the cover art for all the DVD's in the library. And you can search by name, catagory, ect... easy for me to update, easy for the clients to operate. Preatty kool thing, kinda pricey though -napalm
    That sound so cool, especially down loading art covers for DVDs.

The server must have a large capability to have DVDs burned in it. How much capacity server have and what does the whole thing cost? Also if server crashes, do one have to re-burn DVDs into it again?

AR Newbie Registered Member

1.6 tB discs by 2010

This is getting crazier...the drives are getting wackier man! Imagine this...my hard drive will be weeping in shame coz my external disc will be having more free space. I go for my reviews to this site called iNods.com and I hear that this disc is supposed to be upgraded to hold 1.6 terabytes by 2010.

Also I had read of the CUBE which is supposed to be a small sugar-cube sized liquid/plasma drive which will hold 1.5 terabytes of data...now that is portable..ain't it?

The way this is being driven, I am wondering which hardware company would like to invest in new hardware standards?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I can see this disc working for the computer industry, but I do not think it will compete with HD-DVD or BluRay. Unless one of the large electronic companies liscense the technology, the studio's will not support it. All new technology introduce to the consumer has come from large reputable electronic companies with a pretty long track record. I heard this same announcement about this same technology 4 years ago, and it went no where.

In this day where the studios are so paranoid about copy protection(they do not give a crap about disc capacity) that if this new technology didn't have keys that the studios could through away at their discretion (the must control content) then this disc will go no where in Hollywood.

I'll believe this when I see it.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers