Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Yamaha RX-V2700

  1. #1
    dfc
    dfc is offline
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3

    Yamaha RX-V2700

    Hi all,

    Does anybody know of the new features that will be on the upcoming Yamaha RX-V2700?? Anybody know of a release data??

    Many thanks....

  2. #2
    Forum Regular paul_pci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,246

  3. #3
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Paul -

    Thanks for the link! I was about to say that this is about the time of year when Yamaha announces their new midlevel models, and you were the first one on it (at least on this board). The replacement models usually hit the stores by October. For anyone looking at the RX-V1600 and RX-V2600, now is the time to buy because stores are more likely to deal and discount in order to clear out any remaining inventory.

    As far as the new receivers go, it seems that the RX-V2700 is going all out on the ethernet, iPod, and USB device connectivity. I also like that the YPAO auto calibration will now extend the parametric room correction down to 31 Hz. The previous lower limit of 63 Hz made the YPAO feature mostly useless for subwoofer equalization, which is where parametric equalization provides the greatest benefit. The new receivers also have a 1080p pass through.

    Aside from those features and some new XM features (such as the Neural Surround mode), the rest of the specs look very similar to last year's models. The most unfortunate part of the linked article is the list price -- the RX-V2700 will list for $1,700, which is $300 more than the RX-V2600 and $500 more than the RX-V2400. With no upgrades to the HDMI switching, no new digital format support, and no major upgrades to the output, it seems like a steep price increase for all this extra network connectivity.

    I would have preferred HDMI 1.3 support, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD decoding, and 1080p upscaling over the digital networking and device connectivity features. But, those features haven't even made their way into Yamaha's flagship models, so it might be premature to include them with the midlevel models. I also notice that there's no mention of THX certification in the announcement and couldn't pick out any THX logos in the pictures of the new receivers. So, it looks like Yamaha will once again not participate in the THX program.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610



    The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

    Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

  4. #4
    Forum Regular paul_pci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,246
    I literally read the announcement two minutes before coming across this thread, one of those cosmic coincidences. I finished the article iwth the thought that, given the absence of hdmi 1.3, are these receivers, and the ones Denon recently announced basically already obsolete or a waste of money, at least for those who wish to tap into that connection format? But on the other hand, I suppose manufacturers such as Yamaha and Denon need to march on with releasing models while the specifications that are finalized can be fully implemented into the hardware. Oh, and I had one last thought. They say the 2700 can be connected via an ethernet connection and I wonder how many users place their receiver in the vicinity of a dsl/cable modem because I know that it would be quite a stretch for me (more than a 100ft) to run a cable to the modem. They should opt for a wireless connection like a laptop, since more companies are integrating wireless connectivity into their dsl/cable modems. Just a thought. While I have no plans to upgrade receivers soon, I do think it would be prudent to wait for hdmi 1.3 and for it to be integrated bug free. Having said all that: go Yamaha!

  5. #5
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    I literally read the announcement two minutes before coming across this thread, one of those cosmic coincidences. I finished the article iwth the thought that, given the absence of hdmi 1.3, are these receivers, and the ones Denon recently announced basically already obsolete or a waste of money, at least for those who wish to tap into that connection format? But on the other hand, I suppose manufacturers such as Yamaha and Denon need to march on with releasing models while the specifications that are finalized can be fully implemented into the hardware. Oh, and I had one last thought. They say the 2700 can be connected via an ethernet connection and I wonder how many users place their receiver in the vicinity of a dsl/cable modem because I know that it would be quite a stretch for me (more than a 100ft) to run a cable to the modem. They should opt for a wireless connection like a laptop, since more companies are integrating wireless connectivity into their dsl/cable modems. Just a thought. While I have no plans to upgrade receivers soon, I do think it would be prudent to wait for hdmi 1.3 and for it to be integrated bug free. Having said all that: go Yamaha!
    It's one of these perennial issues with when particular receiver models get introduced. The receiver with the most up-to-date feature set for a particular price point is usually the one that came out most recently. I remember when the RX-V1400 came out, Yamaha and Pioneer were the only companies that included automatic room calibration with a midlevel receiver. A year later, pretty much everybody else had introduced that function with their midlevel models. Same thing when Pro Logic II first appeared -- Onkyo's midlevel receivers included DPLII first, but within a year, everybody else had introduced the feature with their receivers.

    With HDMI 1.3, it's probably just bad timing. The final specs for HDMI 1.3 only came out in June, and no devices on the market right now that I'm aware of are built to the HDMI 1.3 specs. I would doubt that one month would give them enough time to incorporate that spec into the RX-V1700/2700. Then again, Sony has supposedly started up production on the Playstation 3, which will be HDMI 1.3 compliant. Denon usually announces the new versions of their AVR-38XX and AVR-28XX receivers around November, so there's a better chance that they'll be ready to go with HDMI 1.3 capability and on-board decoders for DD Plus and DTS-HD for those models.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610



    The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

    Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

  6. #6
    Forum Regular paul_pci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,246
    Denon's announcement was for new entry level (there's a concept for you) and mid level receievers and it only makes mention of hdmi 1.1. It would be nice though if I could pick up the PS3, not only because I dropped my PS2, but also because my father has a 65 in. hdtv which seems to be the threshold for gleaning some sort of value out ot the new hi-def dvds.

    http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...wreceivers.php

  7. #7
    dfc
    dfc is offline
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3

    Thanks...

    Thanks for all of the infromation guys....this receiver should be a nice upgrade for me. I am way behind the times since my current receiver is a Yamaha RX-V690!!!!

  8. #8
    Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,326

    Disappointing

    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Paul -


    The new receivers also have a 1080p pass through.

    I would have preferred HDMI 1.3 support, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD decoding, and 1080p upscaling over the digital networking and device connectivity features. But, those features haven't even made their way into Yamaha's flagship models, so it might be premature to include them with the midlevel models. I also notice that there's no mention of THX certification in the announcement and couldn't pick out any THX logos in the pictures of the new receivers. So, it looks like Yamaha will once again not participate in the THX program.
    We're into the new world of HD-DVD and BlueRay and still no HD support from the receiver manufacturers. HDMI pass through means less than nothing if you've got to hook up 7 RCA cables from your HD-DVD, or BlueRay player to get HD audio. To be fair it's not just Yamaha, as the new Pioneers tout XM and Ipod capabilities but only have HDMI pass through.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

  9. #9
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025

    Wholy Pricetag, Batman!

    I'm sorry, but $1700 MSRP? Cripes! I don't know how many HT enthusiasts plan on using the XM, but maybe it's necessary...I'll let that one slide. The Ipod, ethernet, and USB stuff, maybe a good portion, but I would think all those people would continue to use their computers for those purposes. If they're building an HT PC, all they need is a soundcard with the line-out to connect to the receiver...

    Damn. I consider those things "throw-ins" and certainly wouldn't use them much. Considering I own a computer that is connected to my receiver already, I certainly won't be paying a $500 premium for them.

    The modest YPAO improvement is nice, but still not complete, and definitely not as controllable and precise as the BFD or a real Parametric EQ. At that pricepoint you're in striking distance of NAD, Rotel, and Arcam receivers that are a step up in sound quality. You might lose Parametric EQ for the speakers, but that's no huge loss, IMO.

    I paid $450 on the street for my 5890 (aka RX-V1500) I can't imagine the half-breed HDMI and these interface goodies being worth $800 extra.

    A year ago I was commenting on how much receivers have plummeted in prices in the last 5 years, and how the sound quality and power has improved at the same time. This seems like a step backwards to me. Unless Yamaha also has some more power, better internal components and smarter pathways (my 5890 got upgraded from the 1400 in these areas, so it's possible) I suspect I won't be the only one who believes they've purchased their last Yamaha receiver.

    Wow.

  10. #10
    dfc
    dfc is offline
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3
    For me, the iPod and XM capabilities will make it alot more easy for me to get my wife to approve the purchase. My wife would use the iPod and XM features alot, whereas I would not. So, for me to get my wife to buy into it, I have to show her how it benefits her!!

  11. #11
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Quote Originally Posted by dfc
    For me, the iPod and XM capabilities will make it alot more easy for me to get my wife to approve the purchase. My wife would use the iPod and XM features alot, whereas I would not. So, for me to get my wife to buy into it, I have to show her how it benefits her!!
    I don't suspect Yamaha is putting prices up in isolation...chances are everyone else is doing it too...Everyone seemed to do it a bit last year, and the trend continues.
    It'll be interesting to see how many people actually jump onboard this year considering we still don't have HD-DVD/BluRays' hi-rez audio format decoders in these, and the HDMI issue remains a dark cloud hanging overhead.

    We might finally see the emergence of more a/v receivers that offer just essentials without all the bells and whistles.

    It is possible the mark-up has merely been increased to give dealers a bit more wiggle room when dealing - sometimes the street price differences aren't as much as the MSRP differences.

  12. #12
    Da Dragonball Kid L.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Posted in da cut
    Posts
    3,577
    Hmm....good points. Definitely more bells and whistles than I would need. I'm still on the fence for a good while, especially since I don't have multiple HDMI sources right now and my current TV only supports DVI. And that's connected to my 2910 via DVI cable.

    I plan on hooking up my PS3 via component until I'm ready to upgrade my AVR and TV. All my needs are being met just fine right now so waiting on this fence sure is easy.

  13. #13
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    We're into the new world of HD-DVD and BlueRay and still no HD support from the receiver manufacturers. HDMI pass through means less than nothing if you've got to hook up 7 RCA cables from your HD-DVD, or BlueRay player to get HD audio. To be fair it's not just Yamaha, as the new Pioneers tout XM and Ipod capabilities but only have HDMI pass through.
    I would expect that HDMI 1.3-compliant receivers are in development by all the usual suspects right now. These Yamaha models were announced only about a month after the HDMI 1.3 spec got finalized, so I would not expect these models to include the feature. They obviously had to include something new with their midlevel model update, so they chose to go with the network and portable device connectivity. I'm just not sure that this justifies a $300 price increase.

    While it would have been nice to have HDMI 1.3 receivers ready to go, keep in mind that none of the HD-DVD and Blu-ray players out there right now are HDMI 1.3-compliant either.

    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I don't suspect Yamaha is putting prices up in isolation...chances are everyone else is doing it too...Everyone seemed to do it a bit last year, and the trend continues.
    It'll be interesting to see how many people actually jump onboard this year considering we still don't have HD-DVD/BluRays' hi-rez audio format decoders in these, and the HDMI issue remains a dark cloud hanging overhead.

    We might finally see the emergence of more a/v receivers that offer just essentials without all the bells and whistles.

    It is possible the mark-up has merely been increased to give dealers a bit more wiggle room when dealing - sometimes the street price differences aren't as much as the MSRP differences.
    It definitely seems that everybody pushed up the price points last year. I would suspect that the weak dollar and higher transportation costs also have something to do with the price increases. But, even so Yamaha is taking a bit of a chance by pushing up the price points this much with new features that only benefit a small segment of the market right now. Somehow though, I suspect that when Denon's midlevel replacements are announced around November, those list prices will fall in line. Otherwise, if they (and other competitors) hold the current price points and add HDMI 1.3 connectivity, they can really do a number on Yamaha's market share.

    Then again, Yamaha has had an entry level network-enabled receiver on the market for about a year. Maybe they see something in the sales figures that led them more in this direction towards server and portable device connectivity. They've also been marketing digital media servers of their own for at least the past three years, and this might be tied into that strategy. People are increasingly using media servers at home, I'm just not sure how many consumers are looking to tie them into their home theater receivers right now.

    From my perspective, anyone who already has a multichannel setup should refrain from any upgrades until the HDMI 1.3 receivers/processors start showing up (no doubt by this time next year, there will be plenty to choose from). Things are still in transition right now, and once Blu-ray and HD-DVD get their act together (well, make that IF ...), then HDMI 1.3 will be much more of a factor, especially if the studios activate the analog video downsampling key on their newer Blu-ray and HD-DVD releases.

    As far as stripped down models go, I know that Denon has already inserted a new model into the $800 price point to go with the $700 AVR-2106 that they only introduced last year. Just a few years ago, the AVR-28XX models were at the $700 price point, and the current model in that series now goes for $1,100. I'm not sure if the models will be stripped down, but you might see proliferation of new models that fill the price points that the midlevel models have now vacated.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610



    The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

    Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

  14. #14
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Good points...The next a/v receiver or pre/pro I buy will:

    1) Include whatever HDMI spec (or other connection) required for the next gen HD video formats.
    2) Will include ALL expected audio processing/decoding capabilities for the next gen, Dolby Plus /DTS-HD, etc.
    3) Won't be purchased until there's resolution to HD-DVD and BluRay, because I probably won't buy a player until then. Or at until there's at least a ton of titles released in both formats, cheap, quality universal players, and no end insight to the competing formats - but I suspect that will be unlikely.
    4) I will not be pay more than the rate of inflation plus a small premium for new technologies (and I mean small) for an equivalent replacement to what I have now, unless BluRay or HD-DVD in all their glory are so overwhelmingly awesome that I can't say no.
    Based on the 3 HD movies I've seen so far - (2 BluRay, 1 HD-DVD), I'm not that impressed at all - there's still quite a few kinks to iron out, so it'll take time.

    I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least 3 years away. And I agree. A new receiver purchase now is just a stopover for most people, and probably wouldn't make much sense.

  15. #15
    Da Dragonball Kid L.J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Posted in da cut
    Posts
    3,577
    Excellent points brought out in this thread! This is why I hang around this place

  16. #16
    Forum Regular BadAssJazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    376
    Talk about excellent timing. I was just considering purchasing the 2600, and thought I'd drop in to see if there were any posts on Yammies receivers. This definitely gives me a little better perspective on a new receiver purchase. Time to explore what the next level of receiver manufacturers have to offer.

    Thanks guys!
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

    http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

  17. #17
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    Talk about excellent timing. I was just considering purchasing the 2600, and thought I'd drop in to see if there were any posts on Yammies receivers. This definitely gives me a little better perspective on a new receiver purchase. Time to explore what the next level of receiver manufacturers have to offer.

    Thanks guys!
    Yeah, right now your timing couldn't be better if you're deciding between the RX-V2600 and the 2700. You can either get the 2600 and negotiate a closeout price, or wait until October for the 2700 to come out. In general, unless the new lineup includes a compelling set of new features, I would go with the closeout model. IMO, the 2700 is worth waiting for only if you plan to connect your receiver to a digital media server, or if you want to use the YPAO room calibration feature for subwoofer calibration rather than using your own parametric equalizer (the YPAO calibration on the 2700 goes further into the bass range than the 2600). The list price on the 2700 already adds $300 to the 2600's price, and with the closeout deals, the 2600 might wind up costing you less than half what the 2700 would go for. For that much coin, I would rather wait for the HDMI 1.3 receivers to start coming out.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610



    The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

    Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

  18. #18
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1

    Smile Why Wait for 1.3?

    Greetings AR A/V Gurus!
    OK, so I'm the newest of the newbies so take it easy on me. I do have 20 years or so of dabbling in mid to high end hobbyist A/V and after several weeks of online and NW FL touring research, just bought all new gear within the last week. Yamaha, Infinity, and Velodyne are my trusted choices and the main reason for upgrade is that nothing except the fairly new speakers supports HDMI or anything but ancient Dolby Pro vanilla.

    I have the Yummy-yammy 2700 inbound from Crutchfield ($1599 as I don't want risk getting gray market) since I'm not happy with the lag for upscaling inputs the Sony DG-1000 causes when changing cable box channels (4-6 secs) or input sources (sometimes 10-15 seconds of black screen) to my 1080p Toshi DLP 62"er. Direct cable box to set HDMI connection switches channels almost instantly. Sony support confirms this could be an inherent problem to the switching in their receiver as interlaced inputs (480/720i) are held up momentarily then turned into progressive (1080i). They didn't say anything about my pro installed config and suggested I try different components...so I'm returning theirs to B-Buy, LOL.

    Having just upgraded my entire A/V system at once (1080p in an attempt to minimize/delay inevitable obsolescence), it makes no sense to wait six months to a year for proliferation of HDMI 1.3 components unless I'm missing something. As others pointed out, even the latest Blu Ray or HD-DVD players only support 1.2 (Note that I have the X-Box HD player to revert too should that camp win but I’m not sure what HDMI version it supports). If I wait until the next refresh cycle that includes 1.3 I have lost up to a years worth of enjoyable use, and will probably spend more than the current over inflated pricing since 1.3 will be the new bow wave. Upgrading is the ultimate paradox and each of us must seek their own comfort level. Mine is to buy the latest and greatest of the moment unless some incredible breakthrough is looming and I don't see that here. That way I can hang on 5 years or so and come back to be ridiculed as one of the only HDMI 1.2 owners left alive.

    My question/point to the much more knowledgeable and experienced posters is, when is enough enough and why is now too early?

    Opine on,

    MG out
    Last edited by Modgod; 11-28-2006 at 10:43 PM.

  19. #19
    persnickity
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    5
    Here is my question/point. I am updating from ground up from old Dolby Pro an 480i. So I am in a different situation. Primarily because I have not gone HDTV yet. So I am going to wait for a HDTV model with v1.3 input to gain the Deep Colour (billions not millions of colors) video feature. So I feel like there are thousands at stake to ensure future proofing when I buy in ie., BlueRay, 1080p HDTV, av receiver. All benefiting from max passthrough capabilities of v1.3 HDMI. Is early to mid 2007 when v1.3 has pervaded all the equipment neccessary to enjoy max Blueray playback capability ie., Deep Colour and lossless audio formats DD+ and DTS-HD. Am I understanding this situation right?

  20. #20
    Forum Regular Woochifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Modgod
    Greetings AR A/V Gurus!
    OK, so I'm the newest of the newbies so take it easy on me. I do have 20 years or so of dabbling in mid to high end hobbyist A/V and after several weeks of online and NW FL touring research, just bought all new gear within the last week. Yamaha, Infinity, and Velodyne are my trusted choices and the main reason for upgrade is that nothing except the fairly new speakers supports HDMI or anything but ancient Dolby Pro vanilla.

    I have the Yummy-yammy 2700 inbound from Crutchfield ($1599 as I don't want risk getting gray market) since I'm not happy with the lag for upscaling inputs the Sony DG-1000 causes when changing cable box channels (4-6 secs) or input sources (sometimes 10-15 seconds of black screen) to my 1080p Toshi DLP 62"er. Direct cable box to set HDMI connection switches channels almost instantly. Sony support confirms this could be an inherent problem to the switching in their receiver as interlaced inputs (480/720i) are held up momentarily then turned into progressive (1080i). They didn't say anything about my pro installed config and suggested I try different components...so I'm returning theirs to B-Buy, LOL.

    Having just upgraded my entire A/V system at once (1080p in an attempt to minimize/delay inevitable obsolescence), it makes no sense to wait six months to a year for proliferation of HDMI 1.3 components unless I'm missing something. As others pointed out, even the latest Blu Ray or HD-DVD players only support 1.2 (Note that I have the X-Box HD player to revert too should that camp win but Iím not sure what HDMI version it supports). If I wait until the next refresh cycle that includes 1.3 I have lost up to a years worth of enjoyable use, and will probably spend more than the current over inflated pricing since 1.3 will be the new bow wave. Upgrading is the ultimate paradox and each of us must seek their own comfort level. Mine is to buy the latest and greatest of the moment unless some incredible breakthrough is looming and I don't see that here. That way I can hang on 5 years or so and come back to be ridiculed as one of the only HDMI 1.2 owners left alive.

    My question/point to the much more knowledgeable and experienced posters is, when is enough enough and why is now too early?

    Opine on,

    MG out

    I think it all boils down to what you currently have. If you have not yet made the migration over to 5.1 multichannel, then it makes no sense to wait for HDMI 1.3. But, if you already have a 5.1 home theater system and intend to upgrade the video to HD-DVD/Blu-ray, then you should wait for the HDMI 1.3 components.

    Keep in mind that not all HDMI updates are created equal. For example, HDMI 1.2 was a very incremental update that only added support for one-bit audio signals, like those found in the SACD format. I don't know of any receivers that support HDMI 1.2. The 1.3 update is significant because it incorporates the new lossless 7.1 sound formats from Dolby and DTS that are part of the HD-DVD/Blu-ray formats, and has more video bandwidth to support deep color. This allows the audio signal to be decoded and processed by the receiver, rather than relying on the Blu-ray/HD-DVD player's internal audio decoders. Receivers will typically have much better bass management and more flexible setup options than a video disc player and its analog outputs.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610



    The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

    Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

  21. #21
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lone Tree, CO
    Posts
    2

    Cool

    I just got the RX-V2700 and it is very impressive to me. The internet radio is something I listen to and they have several HD radio stations. The only caveat of using it is you need to make your selections via the menu on your TV monitor. But once you have a station selected you can use it the next time you switch to it as well. I didn't realize the HDMI version 1.3 was coming out so soon and I'm sure I'll wish I had that down the road here. But for now, I can heartily recommend the RX-V2700. I previously had the RX-V1300 and it was time for a change. I wanted a little more power as well. I did look around for any HDMI 1.2 DVD players that support SACD and I find there aren't any and there probably won't be any. Oppo informed me that their SACD wouldn't use HDMI 1.2 even if their player had it because of the chipset they use. So I doubt anyone will bring out a HDMI 1.2 DVD player and instead are all waiting to use HDMI 1.3 later. Not sure how that would affect standard DVD's but of course it will make a big difference on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, as well as enhanced audio. But I am now able to listen to DVD-Audio via HDMI on my Toshiba DVD player and listen to SACD off my Sony changer. It's a real convenience to have 300 CD's along with all my SACD's all sitting there ready to listen to with a push of a button. HDMI in general is a royal pain. I tried to run from my Motorola cable box to my receiver and for a brief minute I got a very nice picture. But then I get that nasty Motorola doesn't support protected repeaters message and the picture goes away. - I'm waiting for a cable firmware upgrade on that one. But otherwise this receiver sounds very good and the YPAO worked well. It did a better job than I did I think. I have a mismatch of speakers and it was hard to get them evened out.

  22. #22
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dakar80124
    I just got the RX-V2700 and it is very impressive to me. The internet radio is something I listen to and they have several HD radio stations. The only caveat of using it is you need to make your selections via the menu on your TV monitor. But once you have a station selected you can use it the next time you switch to it as well. I didn't realize the HDMI version 1.3 was coming out so soon and I'm sure I'll wish I had that down the road here. But for now, I can heartily recommend the RX-V2700. I previously had the RX-V1300 and it was time for a change. I wanted a little more power as well. I did look around for any HDMI 1.2 DVD players that support SACD and I find there aren't any and there probably won't be any. Oppo informed me that their SACD wouldn't use HDMI 1.2 even if their player had it because of the chipset they use. So I doubt anyone will bring out a HDMI 1.2 DVD player and instead are all waiting to use HDMI 1.3 later. Not sure how that would affect standard DVD's but of course it will make a big difference on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, as well as enhanced audio. But I am now able to listen to DVD-Audio via HDMI on my Toshiba DVD player and listen to SACD off my Sony changer. It's a real convenience to have 300 CD's along with all my SACD's all sitting there ready to listen to with a push of a button. HDMI in general is a royal pain. I tried to run from my Motorola cable box to my receiver and for a brief minute I got a very nice picture. But then I get that nasty Motorola doesn't support protected repeaters message and the picture goes away. - I'm waiting for a cable firmware upgrade on that one. But otherwise this receiver sounds very good and the YPAO worked well. It did a better job than I did I think. I have a mismatch of speakers and it was hard to get them evened out.

    I am thinking the RX-V-2700 is what I want to buy. Your post about the HDMI in general is a pain makes, me rethinik this. Are you using a Comcast Motorola cable HD box? Did the cable company indicate they would have a firmware upgrade that would fix the video blanking problem? I will be using the HDMI inputs to hook up the cable box also. If it doesn't work, I see no need to spend the bucks for this one! Could you elaborate on this switching problem and if it has been fixed or if they plan to fix it?

  23. #23
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lone Tree, CO
    Posts
    2

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by jlandrum
    I am thinking the RX-V-2700 is what I want to buy. Your post about the HDMI in general is a pain makes, me rethinik this. Are you using a Comcast Motorola cable HD box? Did the cable company indicate they would have a firmware upgrade that would fix the video blanking problem? I will be using the HDMI inputs to hook up the cable box also. If it doesn't work, I see no need to spend the bucks for this one! Could you elaborate on this switching problem and if it has been fixed or if they plan to fix it?
    Different areas of the country are getting the firmware updates at different times. You need to check your box - I have ver. 12.31. Ver 12.35 and 16.20 I believe are the newer versions that fix the hdmi repeaters issue. Call your cable company to prod them along, but Comcast in Colorado didn't have a definite date they were going to do it.
    Other things with HDMI are like if you start your dvd player, you need to have the receiver selector on the dvd hdmi input for it to begin, but once it starts then you can switch it over to another input, if you try to load a movie on a dvd player connected via hdmi to a tv, it may not start until the tv is on. The same is true for DVD Audio over HDMI. HDMI has to establish the connection all the way thru. My hdtv hdmi is also "slow" to recognize the HDMI signal, it takes several seconds for it to show, that is regardless if from the receiver or from the Motorola box directly (or dvd hdmi directly). Like I say, its just more of a pain than it should be.

  24. #24
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1
    I have the same problem with my Comcast STB (Northern NJ area), firmware ver. 10.12. I can not hook up my STB thru V2700 via HDMI input. I would get a picture for a brief second then went blank. I will try to connect my STB to V2700 via component connection next...

    Well, I connected my STB to the V2700 via component video input and it worked! Only problem is that when compare with HDMI input directly to the TV, the picture from HDMI conection looks better...
    Last edited by jchalerm; 12-30-2006 at 04:38 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •