Yamaha "Effects" Channels?

I'm going to be purchasing a Yamaha receiver (RX-Z1) soon and was wondering about these "effects" channels that are featured with the receiver. Is it worth buying speakers for? If so, should they be small bookshelf speaker? dipole/bipole? What kind of effects come out of them? Should they be decent/high quality speakers or is it not worth it?

Thanks
    Jamez

On mine I have the two extra front channels, not sure if its the same as the effects that you mention but probably. Anyways I have used it for both floorstanders and bookshelf speakers with no problem with all channels playing . I'm pretty sure they have to be an 8 ohm speaker though. At present I'm using the effect or extra fronts to power B&W DM601 s3.

I just wasn't sure if it was used for ambient effects, or is it a full spectrum channel?

Forum Regular
    I use the effects channels on my Yamaha RX-V2095 and they're OK. On the newer models (1400, 2400, 2500, Z1, etc) the effects channels can be reconfigured for Zone 2 capabilities providing stereo to a second listening area. You can have a movie with 5.1 sound running in your main room while playing a CD in the bedroom or on the patio. Nice feature.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Yamaha's effects channels usually contain reverb or echo from a sample of the left/right, and depending on if you have rear effects channels, echo from the rear. Mostly all of the samples are taken from various venues around the world. I wouldn't buy a receiver for just these channels only, in many cases were a rooms acoustics are not controlled, these extra channels muddy the sound considerably, no matter how much you tweak them(experience). I would purchase a receiver based on how well it does 5.1, or 5.1+1, or 6.1 Dts discrete.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Oh it wasn't going to be a defining characteristic for me, I was just wondering if it was worth buying extra speakers for

Thanks for all of your advice!
    Jamez

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Yamaha's effects channels usually contain reverb or echo from a sample of the left/right, and depending on if you have rear effects channels, echo from the rear. Mostly all of the samples are taken from various venues around the world. I wouldn't buy a receiver for just these channels only, in many cases were a rooms acoustics are not controlled, these extra channels muddy the sound considerably, no matter how much you tweak them(experience). I would purchase a receiver based on how well it does 5.1, or 5.1+1, or 6.1 Dts discrete.
    Is this right, 6.1 would be another surround in the back and 7.1 would be another pair in the back?
    Look & Listen

Yamaha's DSP effects are the best in the biz, but they're not something that you should base a purchasing decision on. The high mounted effect channels that are on the RX-Z1 convey the ambient cues and room effects that get processed for those DSP modes. On Yamaha's other receivers, these effects get mixed into the L and R main channels. With the RX-Z1, the effect output is split into those high mounted effect speakers.

Whether or not you buy extra speakers for those effects channels depends on how much you plan to use the DSP effects. I suggest that you set up the receiver first and try out the DSP modes in a regular 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configuration. See if the DSP effects enhance your listening, or if you just use the default modes most of the time. On my system, I use the DSP effects only occasionally. With most movies, the default 5.1 playback mode gives me the most precise imaging and audio quality. Only with certain scenes that benefit from a larger soundfield do I turn on the DSP effects. With music, I only use the effects with music that's already highly processed such as electronica.

With the Yamaha DSP effects, you have a lot of options for adjusting the effect to your preferences. If you wind up liking what the DSP effects do, THEN it might be worth pursuing the high mounted effect speakers.

Also, keep in mind that those effects channels can get reassigned to other sources, such as multizone playback.

Wow, just the answer I was looking for. Thanks very much for that reply Woochifer.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    For me,never used or liked any DSP except for the 5ch stereo.
    Look & Listen

Thread Information