AR Newbie Registered Member

Question where is matrix 6.1 ??

undefined I have a yamaha rx-v630 i hook up a rear center channel ,it work find in hi-fi entretainement/6 ch stereo and when i try the test tone all go okay. My question is... why when i push the ex/es button on the remote control to chose from auto,matrix 6.1,or off the matrix 6.1 never show on the display i am in dts surround and watching daredevil 5.1

The 6.1 mode will only kick in automatically if there is an alert flag in the signal. Daredevil is a 5.1 soundtrack, so your receiver is doing the default decoding correctly if it plays it back in a 5.1 mode. The only way to play a 5.1 soundtrack back in 6.1 is to manually activate the ES/EX decoder. There should be a DSP mode on your remote that activates the 6.1 decoding.,

There are only about 100 DVDs with any kind of ES or EX encoding built into the soundtrack. All of the 6.1 DTS ES soundtracks that I've used have a signal flag that activates the ES decoder, but only a few of the Dolby Digital EX soundtracks automatically activate the EX decoder (Lord of the Rings II and III, and the Star Wars Trilogy are the only ones in my collection that have the automatic activation) . With those DD EX soundtracks with no signal flags, you have to turn the EX decoder on manually.

Forum Regular
    My HTR 5760 is the same way basically as wooch has described. I watched a bunch of movies over the weekend when I got it and I had to manually turn on the ex/es portions for some flicks. The only way I am aware of doing a 6.1/7.1 out of a 5.1 soundtrack is dts neo (which is matrixed i believe). I can't remember if PLIIx is a 6.1/7.1 output or not. I'm still getting to know my reciever hehe.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I'm pretty sure on most Yammies that the Ex/Es button on the remote will activate the matrix processing in the rear channels, hence both Dolby Digital and DTS can also use the 6.1/7.1 outputs. PLIIx is 7.1 as well.
    For whatever reason, I find the fake 7.1 processing to be bit better on DTS tracks than Dolby Digial ones. I wonder if they boost the level to the rears or something?

Thread Information