Forum Regular

What are your opinions on Harman Kardon Receivers guy?

It just dawned on me that we spend alot of time talking about Denon ,Marantz,Yamaha,Onkyo and Pioneer receivers which are all very entertaining to discuss anytime and all the time but I hear very little said about Harman Kardon HT receivers and just wanted to know what you guys thought about them?

Forum Regular
    I hear they are pretty good, but they had that ad on here with annoying music for a while.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by teledynepost
    I hear they are pretty good, but they had that ad on here with annoying music for a while.
    I remember that, it sort of came and went in a flash.

Ask the Circuit City guys....they seem to love them!

Personally I am not a huge fan....they look cool, but I have not really been that impressed with their build or sound....for me...i'd rather take that money and put it towards either a Marantz, Denon, or Pioneer Elite (which is what I am waiting to upgrade next)

AR Newbie Registered Member
    good sounds

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    In my opinion, better sound than Onkyo, Yamaha, and Pioneer (even Elite).
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

AR Newbie Registered Member Scrat's Avatar
    Equipment List:
    Harmon Kardon - AVR635(AV Reciever)
    Dynaudio - Audience 62(Floor standing Front Speakes)

i bought these about 2 months ago.... haven't saved up for the surounds or sub yet.

So far the sound quality in stereo for music is amazing(my first AV Reciever, but have heard others many times) and i think anyone other than a true audiophile wouldn't tell the difference between it and a Marantz or Denon of similar models.
    I've hooked up an cheep old speaker as the center at pressent and even with just the 3 speakers the suround sound affect is very good.
    Also, who could forget the very cool look of the sunken blue light on the volume knob

My only complaints so far are...
    1. They could have made the front silver panels out of metal instead of plastic... i just know the little flap is going to brake someday

2. The main remote(comes with 2: 1main, 1small for zone2) has the black "Cool Touch" finish on the bottom, which has already started to peal off due to a small scratch in the area from putting it down "lazily" onto a table.

3. When you use the "Learn" function on the remote to controll other devices, you have to press a button to select the device first, then press the 'asigned' button you want to use. which is fine if you just want to do one thing...but gets anoying if you want to...say....browse TV channels, you have to press the Device then channel button every time as it doesnt stay in TV mode.

Forum Regular
    The one I tested sounded great but a bit underpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    In my opinion, better sound than Onkyo, Yamaha, and Pioneer (even Elite).
    I seriously DOUBT THAT about Pioneer Elite!!!!!!!!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ttskyline01
    I seriously DOUBT THAT about Pioneer Elite!!!!!!!!
    The Pioneer Elite HT receivers i've heard are pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisY
    The Pioneer Elite HT receivers i've heard are pretty darn good.
    Yup, they sure are. The HK's are no slouch either though.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Yup, they sure are. The HK's are no slouch either though.
    this is true. neither is yamaha.

Suspended
    I just bought an AVR635 two weeks ago. Feature-wise it has lots.Build quality is junk like everything else in it's price range. The binding posts won't accept spades and after I cut off my spades and crimped on blades, the knobs stripped the first time I tried to tighten them. I then had to go out and buy all new sets of banana plugs. Flimsy flip door on the front as noted above and cool blue volume knob that feels cheesy.

I bought this unit to replace a 15 y/o Hafler 945 Pre/Tuner that went on the fritz. The 1080 Amp is fine and may still get used for zone 2. I am driving a pair of JM Labs Tantal 509s right now and the power output is fine for them. Not quite enough to control the main Dynaudio 82s. I decided to get an AV Reciever so along with the Tuner and zone two amps, I could slowly put together a 5.1 HT to go with the new Sony XBR1 40" LCD.

Although it is still breaking in, depth, clarity, and bass controll are half what the old Hafler gear is and sounds like a Walkman on vitamins compared to the Odyssey Stratos/Sound Valves Pre in my main system.

The manual is hard to follow and I usually don't need one. The IN/Out setting page is baffling to say the least. Weight of this unit is heavier than all others in it's range and since the case has no real heat sink, I'm hoping it's because of the transformers and power supply. It gives off lots of heat running 2 channels while the Stratos is cool at insane volumes.

Overall, if your not used to quality gear, this unit is pretty cool. Lots of features for $599 delivered from JR. Compared to most Mass Market gear, HK is still making pretty good sounding recievers. I almost wish I had bought the Onkyo or Denon but oh well.

Hyfi

HAAAA. Harman Kardon does not sound better than the Pioneer Elite models....there is just no way about it. Both make good receivers, but we are talking about 2 different leagues here. Of course it might also depend on the model though....HK highest model may sound better than the lowest Pioneer Elite, but even then I would doubt there is a winner with the HK.

Forum Regular
    Is a Harman Kardon 40 watt per ch receiver as powerful as other receivers with significantly more watts per ch and if so just how much?

golden ear
    the power ratings for HK receivers are very conservative. they may give 40wpc on specs but this one actually sounds louder than those 90 to 100Wpc yamaha or denons out there. HK is good for both music and ht. just remember to pair them with quite a bit high sounding bookshelves for a better musical performance. they tend to sound dull when paired with floorstanders.

HK does make some good looking stuff, but I do find the build quality on the cheap side. The other gripe I have about HK product is that it is a pain in the butt to set up. The buttons have writing on them that are next to impossible to read unless it is in the right light, and the menu system is just plain difficult to navigate. I do think that they sound good as they use really good DAC's and very heavy power supplies, but I don't think that I would buy one until the layout was changed. In the average price range ($800 - $1600 CAN) I would put my money on Onkyo (I know, I have a Pioneer right now, but thats just because I couldn't afford the Onkyo set up that I wanted at the time - I'll save my pennies until I can afford a decent pre/pro). You're not making a bad descision by picking one up - I assume that Chris Y already has by his very leading question

I just upgraded my HT, and tested ALL the gear you mentioned. In the end, I chose the
    pioneer vsx1015(05 top of the line). For the $ it was best for me. This thing ROCKS
    big time. No other unit matched it at under $400(my budget). There are still models
    out there you can check out. Due to research on this forum, I bought mine sight
    unseen online(sourceoneaudio.com). Happy hunting.

"As Long As My Brain And Fingers Work...I'm Cool. Edward Van Halen"

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I just bought an AVR635 two weeks ago. Feature-wise it has lots.Build quality is junk like everything else in it's price range. The binding posts won't accept spades and after I cut off my spades and crimped on blades, the knobs stripped the first time I tried to tighten them. I then had to go out and buy all new sets of banana plugs. Flimsy flip door on the front as noted above and cool blue volume knob that feels cheesy.

I bought this unit to replace a 15 y/o Hafler 945 Pre/Tuner that went on the fritz. The 1080 Amp is fine and may still get used for zone 2. I am driving a pair of JM Labs Tantal 509s right now and the power output is fine for them. Not quite enough to control the main Dynaudio 82s. I decided to get an AV Reciever so along with the Tuner and zone two amps, I could slowly put together a 5.1 HT to go with the new Sony XBR1 40" LCD.

Although it is still breaking in, depth, clarity, and bass controll are half what the old Hafler gear is and sounds like a Walkman on vitamins compared to the Odyssey Stratos/Sound Valves Pre in my main system.

The manual is hard to follow and I usually don't need one. The IN/Out setting page is baffling to say the least. Weight of this unit is heavier than all others in it's range and since the case has no real heat sink, I'm hoping it's because of the transformers and power supply. It gives off lots of heat running 2 channels while the Stratos is cool at insane volumes.

Overall, if your not used to quality gear, this unit is pretty cool. Lots of features for $599 delivered from JR. Compared to most Mass Market gear, HK is still making pretty good sounding recievers. I almost wish I had bought the Onkyo or Denon but oh well.

Hyfi
    I have an older model HK AVR320 (back when black was in and no blue knobs). It's been an outstanding unit. I've had it for over 5 years and it had to go to the shop once. The front panel lights started flickering. Apparantly they have a secondary power supply that runs the lights and stuff. As far as cooling, HKs get warm to the touch. They (at least mine) is not without more than adequate cooling fins. Pop the frame off and take a peek inside. Mine has rows of aluminum like fins that help to draw the heat from the boards and out through the vent holes. This receiver has more cooling fins than I've seen in any receiver.

Also, it's not a fair comparison to compare an amp with an AVR. An amp is made to amplify only whereas an AVR is made to do much more. Has all that DSP stuff in there, the radio, the preamp, etc. Unless you buy an ultra exprensive top end AVR then you will not have the power that comes from an amp only setup.

Just my two cents. Paul

In Columbia, SC we have a store owned by a man in his 80's. This guys been selling HK and Klipsch for many years, has a masters in electronics engineering and knew Paul Klipsch. He recommends HK and Klipsch speakers and he doesn't sell anything else. They do the in home and business setups as well. He's very well known in the area and could make tons of money carrying other brands but he doesn't. Now that's dedication to a manufacturer.

In fact when I got out of the Army in 1992 I went into his store and listened to a 40 wpc HK receiver and Klipsch (KG 4 I believe) speakers and told myself that one day I would own a similar setup. Now I do and love it.

I've owned quite a bit of gear over the years and though I loved my Onkyo but with the HK Klipsch setup I'm finally completely happy with my system. Well, I am in the market for another CD/DVD player even though this one is awesome. Anybody want to by a like new Onkyo?

Thread Information