Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar

Does anyone else run there HT sans center speaker?

I have been running my HT without a center speaker for some time. I've been pleased with it, but then something happened that really made me appreciate this configuration even more, which was:

-- I was watching "The king and I" with my family on Saturday night, and I had just put back all the equipment on my new rear cabinets/counter top. During this process I had swapped the left and right inputs from my DVD/CD player.

-- This then caused: when people were on the left side of the screen there voice came out of the right side of the speaker and vis a versa.

-- I also have a 106 inch screen, so I can really hear and see when the sound does not follow the actors.

-- So with a center speaker you loose that positional sense which I think adds a lot.

So, does anyone else do this?

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 11-16-2009 at 06:25 AM.
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

My guess is if voices are coming from the right then most of the voices will not come out of the center but from the right speaker, which means that you won't loose any positonal sense. It only makes sense. I think center speakers should be used if you have the option of doing so.

Many, many moons ago, when I first put together my HT system, yes, I went sans center speaker. I had no choice, really, since the timbre-matched center for my speakers was $1,200 at the time, well outside my budget. I eventually found it for much cheaper used, and I'm so glad that I did. Wouldn't dream of using the HT without a center speaker at this point.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    I have been running my HT without a center speaker for some time. I've been pleased with it, but then something happened that really made me appreciate this configuration even more, which was:

-- I was watching "The king and I" with my family on Saturday night, and I had just put back all the equipment on my new rear cabinets/counter top. During this process I had swapped the left and right inputs from my DVD/CD player.

-- This then caused: when people were on the left side of the screen there voice came out of the right side of the speaker and vis a versa.

-- I also have a 106 inch screen, so I can really hear and see when the sound does not follow the actors.

-- So with a center speaker you loose that positional sense which I think adds a lot.

So, does anyone else do this?

Best Regards,
    Stan
    I think running any movie without a dedicated channel is a bad idea, especially with a 106" screen. When we mix soundtracks, you have to balance all of the individual elements with dialog taking precedence. We mix for clarity, which is why you will find few things mixed into the center channel in the presence of dialog. When you move that dialog into two very active channels (the left and right front channel), that balance is disturbed by an electrical and acoustical signal reduction of 3db. When sound effects are eminating from those channels along with dialog, the dialog will be swamped and become very difficult to hear. On a screen as wide as yours, this effect will be worsened by the distance between the left and right speakers.

Viewers that sit off axis of the center will not hear the dialog from screen in its rightful place, at the center of the screen. A phanton center image only works for a person sitting equi-distant from the front left and right mains. Once that person moves off axis left or right of center, the dialog will move as well. So instead of the dialog coming from the center of the screen, it will come from the speaker located closest to your off axis position. That is not what the director or the dialog re-recording mixer had in mind.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Stan, without reading any replies, I have to say I don't understand how you could not run the centre. I'm not a genius of H/T and my set up is limited. However, my impression of proper DTS and Dolby is that most sound comes out of the center. That being most conversation, etc. The rears are reserved for ambient and environmental sounds.

Does your system have a way of compensating without the center? My thought is that you would just lose all of this important audio with it disconnected. My H/T sounds so good with the traditional 5.1 and coax input, I wouldn't dream of messing with it. Why I was just watching Invisible Target last night, the explosions sounded so real. Footsteps and raindrops were subtley conveyed just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Does your system have a way of compensating without the center? My thought is that you would just lose all of this important audio with it disconnected. My H/T sounds so good with the traditional 5.1 and coax input, I wouldn't dream of messing with it. Why I was just watching Invisible Target last night, the explosions sounded so real. Footsteps and raindrops were subtley conveyed just as well.
    Yes, you can choose to have the center sound rerouted to the L & R channels by setting the center speaker to 'off' on the AVR.

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Yes, you can choose to have the center sound rerouted to the L & R channels by setting the center speaker to 'off' on the AVR.
    Huh. I had no idea, well more power to ya Stan.

It's Tony...

It's Tony...
    Hahahah, nice but Stan is the OP's name. You are Tony, let's get this right.

A timbre matched center channel speaker is really not an option for me. The only one that comes close is the Martin Logan (ELS). Frankly, it's a little pricey for my system and usage. Although I'm equipped with 4 ESL's my system is primarily for 2 channel sound. My chair is directly on axis and the two flanking seats are quite close to being on axis. So, it's not that much of an issue for me. I run my Lexicon processor in phantom mode for the center channel and I have no problem hearing dialog.
    When there is a thunderstorm in a movie I want to open an umbrella. Thunder and lightning make me want to duck.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    When there is a thunderstorm in a movie I want to open an umbrella. Thunder and lightning make me want to duck.
    I would suggest a two fold solution to this problem, meds and therapy.

The lovely Judy is providing plenty of therapy. I expect a lot of personal therapy from her tonight. The Chimay Grand Reserve is working quite nicely for my medication.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Hahahah, nice but Stan is the OP's name. You are Tony, let's get this right.
    LOL I thought that was for me

The Chimay Grand Reserve is working quite nicely for my medication.
    Cars, beer, audio gear... You have good tastes Joe, I'm sure we would get along very well!

I have a 2.1 set-up that has been suiting my purposes very well...no desire to pick up a center channel in the near future. While I don't experience the joys of distinct L-R separation as my brethren, the dialogue comes in quite clearly for our enjoyment.
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Indeed, this can be done with virtually all AV receivers or prepros. It creates a "phantom center", but Sir ToT has very precisely described the problem with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Indeed, this can be done with virtually all AV receivers or prepros. It creates a "phantom center", but Sir ToT has very precisely described the problem with this.
    I'm not saying it's good or bad, simply stating that it is possible and how to do it

Cars, beer, audio gear... You have good tastes Joe, I'm sure we would get along very well!
    I'll be sure to thank my parents. They are responsible for my Champagne tastes. The beer budget I'm forced to live with is solely my responsibility. If you're ever in the Philadelphia area let me know. We could drink a few and listen to some music. That invite is for any of you that happen to visit this area.
    BTW: Most mainstream American beer is pretty awful. A lot of Canadian and most Mexican beer is no better. They are influenced too much by American beer. American "craft" beers including brews like Sam Adams and Yeungling are pretty good but they are exceptions. Chimay is very expensive here so I have to drink St. Pauli Girl or Becks when I'm strapped. Woe is me! Both are widely available here in Philly.

Grolsch. After a week in Holland, I converted from Heineken.

Tetley. English style brewed in Australia.

Stella Artois/Carlsberg(Danish Import). The back-ups.

Always poured into a pilsner glass, never from the bottle. Research has shown that glass can chemically enhance the flavours of some beverages.

Cheers!!

The only one that comes close is the Martin Logan (ELS). Frankly, it's a little pricey for my system and usage.
    Actually, Sound Lab also makes a hybrid center channel, but isn't cheap either.

Marquee

Like you, I would prefer the coherence and resolution of a four channel electrostatic solution to any five channel box or horn.

rw

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Actually, Sound Lab also makes a hybrid center channel, but isn't cheap either.

Marquee

Like you, I would prefer the coherence and resolution of a four channel electrostatic solution to any five channel box or horn.

rw
    Coherence and resolution is not limited to electrostatics. Also horn designs have improve so dramatically, that I think some of the best design could do battle with any electrostatic system out there.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

I sense a battle about to unfold...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Coherence and resolution is not limited to electrostatics.
    I'm not aware of any full range horns. Most I see are three way designs with each driver having a decidedly different radiation pattern and profoundly more moving mass at the low end. Especially since most horns are supplemented by direct radiator woofers at the bottom. The discontinuity at the crossover points is electrically evident as a saddle in the impedance curve and changes in phase. Do you know of any studio class microphone that isn't a full range condenser design? It is for the same reason that I prefer a single driver solution especially for wide band instruments like a piano.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I think some of the best design could do battle with any electrostatic system out there.
    Would you care to cite an example?

To each his own.

rw

Funny how a lot of you seem to be into good beer. I've had the privilege of having been beer educated by my best friend who happens to be Belgian.
    I've noticed that beer in general is quite expensive in the US compared to France. What's nice in the US is the variety of brews you have.

Thanks for the invite, it would be a pleasure. Unfortunately I don't know when I'll be around that area. You are welcome to Geneva and that's also for all of you.
    Cheers!

Forgot to mention, I was in Prague very recently (August), and had my first Pilsner. Didn't think much of it. Prices were good though, about 2-3 bucks for a pint (UK pint), which is over a liter.
    Don't mean to be off topic so back onto those center speakers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information