AR Newbie Registered Member

Toshiba 34HF84 vs. Sony KV-34HS420

Anyone have any insight on the Toshiba 34HF84? 34 inch 16:9 HDTV monitor. Comparing that set to the Sony KV-34HS420 and was hoping to get some insight from anyone that owns/has owned/or knows someone who owns either of these. Thanks.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jebales
    Anyone have any insight on the Toshiba 34HF84? 34 inch 16:9 HDTV monitor. Comparing that set to the Sony KV-34HS420 and was hoping to get some insight from anyone that owns/has owned/or knows someone who owns either of these. Thanks.
    Based upon many, many years of hands-on working on the insides of these products, this is an absolute no-brainer, Jeb. Scratch Sony off of your list of brands to consider - do it right away - don't look back for even an instant. Sony makes TV sets that perform brilliantly, but I personally wouldn't buy one at any price! My servicing experience with Toshiba has been excellent ... my experience with Sony has been terrible!

I must question why though are you looking at direct-view sets in the first place? They fall way short in the "bang for the buck" category IMO. Additionally, they represent a bit of a gamble that I personally would never consider taking. The CRTs (picture tubes) that are used are horribly expensive - meaning that IF one of them should fail after the warranty has expired, you're stuck with a very heavy boat anchor or door stop! Replacing one would cost as much as replacing the entire set! Why not consider an RPTV with a bigger screen - for less money? Or, better yet a front projector?
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    Based upon many, many years of hands-on working on the insides of these products, this is an absolute no-brainer, Jeb. Scratch Sony off of your list of brands to consider - do it right away - don't look back for even an instant. Sony makes TV sets that perform brilliantly, but I personally wouldn't buy one at any price! My servicing experience with Toshiba has been excellent ... my experience with Sony has been terrible!

I must question why though are you looking at direct-view sets in the first place? They fall way short in the "bang for the buck" category IMO. Additionally, they represent a bit of a gamble that I personally would never consider taking. The CRTs (picture tubes) that are used are horribly expensive - meaning that IF one of them should fail after the warranty has expired, you're stuck with a very heavy boat anchor or door stop! Replacing one would cost as much as replacing the entire set! Why not consider an RPTV with a bigger screen - for less money? Or, better yet a front projector?
    I have thought about it but I am just not sold on the quality of the viewing picture with Projection TV's. I do not like the viewing angle on most Projection TV's considering I am in an apartment with a small living room anyway. Are there any options that offer an expanded viewing angle below the $1400 price range? I'm not set on a direct-view set but I just haven't seen a better picture unless you spend a few thousand on Plasma or LCD.

cam

Woodman:

Quote Originally Posted by woodman

I do value your knowledge and advice on direct view and rear projection. But here is my situation which just might be others as well. I will start by saying that I am waiting till the end of the year or the beginning of next to buy a new tv, rumour has it that big screen tv's are coming down in price considerably. My situation is that my room has alot of windows and skylights. Two big windows on either side of the fireplace, a sliding door window off my dining room, a window and skylight in my kitchen off my living room, and a huge skylight in my entrance adjacent from my kitchen and living room. During the day my wife opens all the blinds to let the light in, which I also like. Right now all that light doesn't affect my 27 inch direct view too bad but I feel it would be absolutely horrible with a projection. Probably unwatchable. I know you will say just close all your blinds, but me and my wife don't like living in the dark all day. We need all that sun light during the day just to stay happy. Maybe we both suffer from SAD. But anyways I also have been considering either the toshiba or panasonic 34 inch widescreen direct view tv. These tv's use to be $3500 to $4000 machines 2 or 3 years ago(CAN.) Now can be had for about $1700. If it last 10 years like most direct view tv's are estimated, That's still a good purchase as far as I'm conserned. What do you think?

Thread Information