Forum Regular

Does Anyone Own a Panasonic SAHE200?

My search continues for a mid-level 6.1 receiver. I found the Panasonic SAHE200 on clearance at a local Circuit City for $80! I've seen some good reviews, and for that price I think it's worth the risk. Has anyone had any personal experience with this model? Retail price is usually around 250-300 bucks.
    Thanks in advance!

cam
    Quote Originally Posted by Defshep
    My search continues for a mid-level 6.1 receiver. I found the Panasonic SAHE200 on clearance at a local Circuit City for $80! I've seen some good reviews, and for that price I think it's worth the risk. Has anyone had any personal experience with this model? Retail price is usually around 250-300 bucks.
    Thanks in advance!
    For $80, that's a steal. One thing you might want to know, I use to own a Technics receiver that used MOSFET amp and I am quit sure that Panny uses the same, it gets extemely hot, I mean you can burn your hand, and it doesn't even need to be working hard. Just turn it on with no sound and within 20 minutes you can cook breakfast on it. Since Panasonic is the parent company for technics, I'm almost certain it will have the same MOSFET amp in it as my old Technics receiver. Now the funny thing with my old Technics was that it had a fan but the fan would only go on when the volume was cranked with a movie with lots of action. It would be cool as a cucumber. It's hard to listen to movies that loud all the time so, let's just say my technics ran very hot alot of the time. If that Panny is like my old Technics, which I do beleive it is, don't accidentely leave it on and then go on vacation for 2 weeks. Otherwise $80 seems to good to pass up.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Defshep
    Thanks in advance!
    $80? How fast can you drive? For that price it is definitely worth a try in your own home. If it doesn't work out can you get a refund?
    Wooch, Sir TT, etal are a part of a Northern California Conspiracy!
    Smokey, admit you are using your receiver as a prepro!!

Forum Regular
    I've owned my '200 for about a year and a half and am very pleased with it. I does get very warm, but even after a 2 1/2 hour movie playing at what I'd call a reasonable volume (-19 db on it's volume display) it wasn't what I'd call "hot". Looks like Panny has made the design more efficient. I've never heard the cooling fan go on either. The AM tuner is poorly designed, but other than listening to the radio play by play of the Cubs, I never use it.
    Go for it!

Forum Regular
    Thanks for all the input! I brought it home Friday. Apparently, it's an older model that still had a rear surround speaker and Rush Hour 2 DVD included. It seemed to be brand new. Even if it had been refurbished, it was still a bargain. It has loads of optical inputs and only one coaxial, which seems to be dedicated to the CD player. That can probably be reassigned, though. I used the money I saved to get a DVD recorder. After all, it was a grand total of $97 with Circuit City's 3 year warranty! Thanks again!
    Last edited by Defshep; 06-05-2005 at 02:47 PM.

Forum Regular
    Yes, that input can be reassigned.

Audio Enthusiast
    For your info : Pana and Technics are using the cheap board by putting all IC chips and
    capacitors into 1 main board. This generate heats when receiver is on. When playing at high
    volume, fan will kick in, however, fan generate some sound distortion. I personally don't like
    this ... sold my Panasonic half price on e-bay.

Forum Regular
    I hooked it up last night just to make sure everything worked okay. The sound was surprisingly warm, much more so than my Pioneer. I hope the fan interference isn't a common problem. Most reviews (on this site) are extremely positive. Again, for under $100, I'm happy. I had it narrowed down between the Pioneer vsx912 & the Panny.This fit my budget & then some! Just thinking. I know most folks here are pretty serious audiophiles. But it may be worth it to check your local retailer for this kind of deal. Panasonic is introducing a higher-end model, which I believe is replacing the sahe200. For $80, it could make a great second receiver.
    I'll keep you posted on the performance...
    Thanks all!

vance

Forum Regular
    A friend has the same receiver and everytime I am at his place I am amazed at the 2 channel stereo quality. Good buy!
    Wooch, Sir TT, etal are a part of a Northern California Conspiracy!
    Smokey, admit you are using your receiver as a prepro!!

Thread Information