Question Problems with DTS

I have a panasonic F-35S DVD player connected to a Yamaha RX-V1400 via optical audio cable and a component video cable. I was under the impression that DTS sound was PCM sound and Dolby Digital was bitstream sound. I had my DVD player set to send DTS encoded material as PCM and Dolby Digital set to bitstream. When doing this my receiver recognizes the DTS signal as a PCM signal but will not recognize it as DTS. When I change the output signal on my DVD player for DTS to bitstream my receiver recognizes the DTS. Am I wrong in my thinking or is there something wrong with my DVD player or receiver? Thanks.

cam
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffKnob
    I have a panasonic F-35S DVD player connected to a Yamaha RX-V1400 via optical audio cable and a component video cable. I was under the impression that DTS sound was PCM sound and Dolby Digital was bitstream sound. I had my DVD player set to send DTS encoded material as PCM and Dolby Digital set to bitstream. When doing this my receiver recognizes the DTS signal as a PCM signal but will not recognize it as DTS. When I change the output signal on my DVD player for DTS to bitstream my receiver recognizes the DTS. Am I wrong in my thinking or is there something wrong with my DVD player or receiver? Thanks.
    DD & DTS are both bitstream, CD playback is PCM.

Quote Originally Posted by cam
    DD & DTS are both bitstream, CD playback is PCM.
    That would make sense why the DTS works only with bitstream. Any idea why my DVD player gives the option of PCM or bitstream with Dolby Digital or DTS then?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffKnob
    Any idea why my DVD player gives the option of PCM or bitstream with Dolby Digital or DTS then?
    I am not sure about DTS, but when PCM is chosen in DD mode, 5.1 channel is down converted to two channels and outputted.

Forum Regular
    PCM is 2 channel, use it for cd's or if you only have 2 speakers.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Ultimately it is a little silly. Since all CD's should have 2 channel information in addition to either DTS or DD (or all three). But out putting DTS and/or DD as PCM does allow you to send a 2-channel signal digitally to a receiver. I'm not sure if that is an option if your DVD player reads the 2-channel info, it probably is though.

HOWEVER, PCM is an uncompressed audio format that can come in different frequencies (resolutions) and bit sizes (DTS/DD are compressed). CD's are encoded at 44khz/16bit. But DTS and DD can support higher resolutions (eg 96khz/24bit). When converting DTS or DD to PCM, presumably the stereo PCM signal can be at a higher resolution if the DTS/DD encoded sound was at a higher resolution. Your DVD player may ask what resolution you want to output the PCM signal. Your receiver then, needs to be able to support PCM at higher resolution, which it probably can.

So, if your ears and system can reveal the benifits of higher resolution PCM, you can get superior (relative to CD spec) 2 channel sound from your DVD player. All of this is still silly if you have multichannel capability though...

Thread Information