Forum Regular

A Possible Weird Question

Well, I just wanted to thank all of those that have helped me so far and I appreciate all the info I have learned from all of you.

Okay, here is my question and possible problem. Here is my current setup

Denon AVR-2802
    JBL Front Floor speakers JBL HLS 615 I think
    Infinity Center Channel
    Infinity Satelite rears

Now I just rewired my whole system using 12-Gauge wire throughout all the speakers. Now upon hooking everything up, I decided to test the system to see how it sounded. Overall it sounded great but I noticed that my Front Right JBl speaker seems to not be playing at the same volume as my front left speaker. Now the only DVD that I had time to play so far was Gone In 60 Seconds and I play chapter 25 (Eleanor) and I seem to have less volume in my front right then my front left. Now I checked all the levels and on my Denon receiver the Fronts are on +6 and my Center is +7 while my rears are +6.

Granted, I have only used one DVD so far, but I'm curious to know if using the 12 gauge wire is the issue. The wire runs for my front speakers are 8 feet for my front left and 13 feet for my front right speaker. Does the length betwwen the two speakers a cause for the fron right speaker to sound lighter? Or could it be the thickness of the gauge? Or maybe the dvd isn't a good test?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Highlander67; 03-31-2004 at 07:53 AM.

Positive and negative

Try checking the polarity. Positive to positive or red to red.

Forum Regular
    Ya know, I didn't even check that out. Good idea. But would the speaker wire gauge have anything to do with it just as a backup? is going 12 gauge too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander67
    Ya know, I didn't even check that out. Good idea. But would the speaker wire gauge have anything to do with it just as a backup? is going 12 gauge too much?
    I can't imagine why. If it fits in the posts it should be fine. Also the length shouldn't make a difference either.

No, it's not the wire.

If you want to be sure, just switch one speaker for the other and see if you have the same problem. You should probably get an spl meter, Radio Shack is a good place, and a test disc (Avia, Sound & Vision) to get an accurate assessment of what's really happening. Besides, your system will sound a LOT better when it's properly calibrated.

Good luck.

Forum Regular
    What does an SPL meter do exactly? Sorry for the questions but not sure what that is. Well, if it's not the wiring, then its either the dvd I used which is possible or a problem with the speaker which I hope isn't the case.

What does an SPL meter do exactly? Sorry for the questions but not sure what that is. Well, if it's not the wiring, then its either the dvd I used which is possible or a problem with the speaker which I hope isn't the case.
    Sound Pressure Level meter

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/spl-meter_e.html

Check out this link, it explains it quite well.

Forum Regular

SPL - Digital or Analog ?

Quote Originally Posted by wasch_24
    Sound Pressure Level meter

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/spl-meter_e.html

Check out this link, it explains it quite well.
    Thanks for that site, I've been looking for information about SPLs.

I've seen some suggestions on getting the Analog versus the Digital ....

You're opinion sir ?

Thanks,
    Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by omikey
    Thanks for that site, I've been looking for information about SPLs.

I've seen some suggestions on getting the Analog versus the Digital ....

You're opinion sir ?

Thanks,
    Mikey
    I guess I don't have one Mikey.

I don't own an SPL meter. The only calibration tools I use are the microphone ( I guess it is also an SPL meter of sorts) that came with my RX-V1400 for the YPAO set up and my ears. Even after I run my YPAO I still tweak some of the settings it generates.

P.S.
    Please don't call me sir, it knda makes me feel uncomfortable, even at work it does.

Todd
    Last edited by wasch_24; 03-31-2004 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typo

Forum Regular

yes sir ....errrr uh Todd :-)

I don't own an SPL meter. The only calibration tools I use are the microphone ( I guess it is also an SPL meter of sorts) that came with my RX-V1400 for the YPAO set up and my ears. Even after I run my YPAO I still tweak some of the settings it generates.

P.S.
    Please don't call me sir, it knda makes me feel uncomfortable, even at work it does.

Todd
    Just wanted to let you know .... on that other thread, Will Tweeter deal .... I haven't bought yet ... but expect something to break loose by the end of this week. I laid it on the line to him last Sat. he acted insulted that I would 'SHOP' for a better deal.... I could only shake my head and give him one last opportunity to deal or I'm going else where.

I'll update you on the whole thing in that other thread next week.

Mikey

Forum Regular

OK Todd - Thanks

P.S.

Todd
    Yeah, and Denon doesn't supply the mic with their new 3805. If you want that you have to shell out another $65 bucks !!

Well I am inclined to get an SPL meter just the same. Guess I'll be looking into the diff between the two types. My mind drives me nuts with this stuff ... thinks it has to see everything :-) so I want to know what the readings are, and then, like you, make the final tweaks after the system has done it's thing ...... I mean afterall, the system is based on someone else's thoughts about what sounds right .... my ears and room are slightly different (I think :-)

Hope you end up getting the deal you want and the install is going good. I just finished my built-in last weekend. Upon first seeing it my buddy said it looked like the house was built with it. Exactly what I was going for.

Watch out you're about to become a sight regular.

Forum Regular
    Assuming the wires are not crossed and I know I verified the levels on the speakers, I'll try to switch them at lunch. If the same occurs, then should I go back to the old wiring?

Assuming the wires are not crossed and I know I verified the levels on the speakers, I'll try to switch them at lunch. If the same occurs, then should I go back to the old wiring?
    Just check the wires first, don't disconnect unless they are wrong.

If you have to disconnect, find the wire that has some sort of marking on it. Connect that one to the positive/red connection on the receiver as well as the positive/red connection on the speaker. Always put the one with the marking on the positive terminal. That way you won't get confused at the other end when connecting speakers.

If the connetctions are right then try what topspeed suggested and switch the speakers. If the same effect is occuring but from the other side then something is going on with that speaker.

Analog SPL meter

Rat Shack has them on sale every once in awhile for $25 bones so keep an eye open. I use the analog and from what I've heard from others, it's more accurate than the digital format and a bit easier to use (it's a freakin' mic with a meter, how hard could it be??). There are certainly more accurate means you can use but for the semi-casual listener, the RS meter works just fine. Great for not only calibrating your HT, which makes a tremendous difference, but also level matching equipment when doing comparo's of other stuff like speaks, amps, etc..

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular

Unhappy

UPDATE:

Well, I came home during my lunch hour, I switched the speakers and I same problem occurs. The front right for whatever reason seems to be softer in volume then the front left. Switching the speakers did the same thing. So, I also tried other dvds and the problem still persists. I'm not sure what do think now. Could it be that the length of the front left speaker is 7 ft while the front right is around 13 feet long? I know it shouldn't but I don't know what to think. I am thinking of going back to my old wire and trying that out to see if there is a difference. From there, I can determine if it's the wire or even worse, the receiver GULP! I hope it's not the later. Now the label on back of the JBL HLS-615 say 8 ohm load, dose using 12 gauge wire effect that at all?

I have monster XP cable that I used to use and I think I'll go back to that to see if it clears anything up. My question is, do receivers that fail do this type of thing? I tripple checked the levels and they are

Center +6
    Front Left +6
    Front Right +6
    Rear Right +5
    Rear Left +5

This is really concerning me.

Could it be that the length of the front left speaker is 7 ft while the front right is around 13 feet long?
    No, a 6' difference won't make an audible difference.

I am thinking of going back to my old wire and trying that out to see if there is a difference.
    Good idea, however I'm pretty sure it's...
    the receiver GULP!
    Hope for the best but expect the worst.

the JBL HLS-615 say 8 ohm load, dose using 12 gauge wire effect that at all?
    Not one iota. Speaker wire has nothing to do with speaker impedence.

My question is, do receivers that fail do this type of thing? I tripple checked the levels and they are
    Center +6,Front Left +6,Front Right +6,Rear Right +5,Rear Left +5
    Worse. Be thankful, if your receiver lost its right channel, at least it died quietly without a spike that could have taken your drivers or crossover with it . BTW, your setting are meaningless without an SPL meter to check the sound levels from each speaker. Spend the $25 bones, you won't regret it.

Good luck and hopefully everything works out.

Forum Regular

Talking oh oh :-o

Hope you end up getting the deal you want and the install is going good. I just finished my built-in last weekend. Upon first seeing it my buddy said it looked like the house was built with it. Exactly what I was going for.

Watch out you're about to become a sight regular.
    Looks like I went over just this afternoon YIKES
    Last night my wife ask me if I had a second job :-)

Well it sounds like you got a GREAT Compliment !!! I'd love to see it :-)
    Got some PICS you can share with us :-) ??

Enjoy dood !!!!!!!!!

Forum Regular
    Where I noticed it the most is in the sound quality of the Highs in the vocals of people singing or higher range sounds. I would say it's about maybe a 10 or less difference, but a difference to say the least. This is frustrating.

Forum Regular
    ANOTHER UPDATE:

Well on a whim, I decided to call Denon directly and ask them about my issue. The person there gave me some things to try such as putting the receiver in direct mode to see if the problem goes away. Also I was told to try another source to see if the same thing occurs. Other then that, resetting the receiver might fix the problem as well. Hopefully one of those things will be able to tell me if the receiver is indeed going bad. I was told that resetting the receiver fixes alot of the problems including the one I have now. Not sure but i'll try anything right now. If not, the receiver is still under warrenty with Denon for about another year.

Why me :-(

I'll start a new thread

Quote Originally Posted by omikey
    Looks like I went over just this afternoon YIKES
    Last night my wife ask me if I had a second job :-)

Well it sounds like you got a GREAT Compliment !!! I'd love to see it :-)
    Got some PICS you can share with us :-) ??

Enjoy dood !!!!!!!!!
    Still waiting on some fabrics and the hometheater couch to arrive. When they do I will definitely start a new thread with the pics if I can figure out how to post them
    Last edited by wasch_24; 04-01-2004 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo

Forum Regular
    ANOTHER UPDATE:

Well taking the advise of the Denon Tech, I decided to try a couple things. One thing I noticed, if I go into Direct mode for the sound and bypass the DSP chip, the problem seems to go away. So it seems its the processor having an issue. I was told to reset the receiver which I am going to do tonight. Hopefully this will rectify the problem.

Forum Regular
    I have a Yamaha RX-V1 and I just got a new set of speakers about 2 weeks ago. After hooking up the new speakers, my right front sounded somewhat muted. I first thought bad speaker, so I switched and same problem! I tried different wires and speakers and same thing. Also on my RX-V1 it has a speaker level test. When I use that, same thing, everything sounds like it should except the right front. Yamaha told me it sounded like the "video card" or something, but like you say it happens with any source in any sound field or direct. I'm glad this hunk is still under warranty!

Forum Regular
    YET ANOTHER UPDATE: (Last one hopefully)

Well, I decided to reset my receiver with the instructions given to me by Denon and it seems that the problem has gone away. Resetting the main DSP board has fixed it. Glad this is over. Thanks to everyone that helped out. I hope I can help in the future

Thread Information