Thread: polk vs energy

AR Newbie Registered Member

polk vs energy

anyone have any input? i am in a toss up between the polk and energy....this is what i am looking at for a good theater/audio system

Polk Audio
    LSI 25
    LSI C
    LSI/FX

Energy
    V2.3I
    2.0 RI
    2.0 CI

any input would be GREATLY appreciated....

Depends on what you like

The Politically Correct Answer:

They are both well regarded speakers made by well known companies with very good reps. You can't go wrong with either IMO. In the end, it's whatever sounds best to you. We have neither your system, room, nor ears so it's moot at best to give recommendations. Sorry.

My actual opinion:

I found the Veritas to be a more forward, aggressive sounding speaker than the Polks. On the other hand, the bass on the Polks could get a little wooly and seemed to get a little boomy when pushed. If I was using an amp that exhibited really good control in the lower octaves, I'd probably lean towards the Polks as they would be less fatiguing.

Good luck and buy what moves you.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    This is funny, I'd say the Polks sound relatively compared to the Energys, based on my own listening experiences with both lines. The Veritas finished 2nd on my list not too long ago and I still remain quite impressed by them, but I'll be the first to admit, for some music types, you'll like the Polks better (laid back jazz, easy listening, etc). I've found Topspeed to be quite reliable though, so consider what he says. Either way I wouldn't say there's a huge difference in sound quality between those two, though. In HT, I doubt you'd notice much, except maybe the slightly brighter sound in the Energy's center channel. I'd definitely test out both center channels head to head if possible, messing that pick up will drive you nuts (trust me, I speak from experience )

nightflier

Polk lacks a little Energy?

I've tested both speakers, both blind and at length, and I have to say that the Polks are indeed more transparent, which is what you want. The LSi series require a solid amp, so if you have enough power to drive them, they will sound very good on classical as well as rock.

The Polks seemed to have tighter bass and I think they really outperformed the Energy's in the midrange, but less so the upper range. Of course, this may be because I was looking for more, there. The Energy speakers are more forward and in the end, I could hear that the Polks were better, but I still wanted the forwardness (some even say it is a metallic sound) of the Energy's. Some people have commented that the Energy's can get tiring in long listening sessions, but I can't sit that long listening to the speakers anyhow.

In the end, though, I bought Axiom speakers and I have to say they are superior to both (IMHO, in my own house, with my own equipment).

Forum Regular
    My brother-in-law has almost the identical Polk set up and it sounds GREAT!! I can not speak for the Energys but they are both a good quality speaker. He is using a Yamaha RX-V1000 to power them, The bass is very strong, but not overkill. I think you'll be happy with either, good luck!

Forum Regular

Both are good...

Both speakers are very good, but lately i've been listening to Energy's and I think they sound really good. I saw an ad in a magazine today for the Veritas that shows the speaker from side on and let's you see inside...Man it's awsome it looks solid! Go with Energy IMO but choose whatever sounds best to you.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by joel2762
    Both speakers are very good, but lately i've been listening to Energy's and I think they sound really good. I saw an ad in a magazine today for the Veritas that shows the speaker from side on and let's you see inside...Man it's awsome it looks solid! Go with Energy IMO but choose whatever sounds best to you.
    Lol...Geez, Joel...haven't heard much from you for awhile...you get a new job at Energy???

Thread Information