Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went Best Buy to get my store credit from my last receiver under extended warranty that died which was an entry level but really good Pioneer that I really enjoyed.So after dealing with customer service they tell me to go and pick out another receiver and off I go to the back. I had my eye on the Pioneer 815 after hearing and reading so many good things about it then a salesman tells me how good of a choice im making but as im walking to the register with it another salesman says I should get the Yamaha 5840 instead.I also asked about the cheaper Pioneer 515 and Yamaha 5830 and got the same response, one says the Pioneer the other says the Yamaha.Neither is properly set up in the store to try out so I left out of there with a gift certificate.I wish I never dealt with Best Buy concerning a receiver but there service was much better when I bought the first receiver a few years ago.Im even more confused now,WHAT SHOULD I DO!

Both are good receivers. If you liked your Pioneer then I think you should stick with them. Either way, you'll like what you get.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Try em both out. Take advantage of that 30 day return policy.

The worst thing you can do is listen to the idiots who work at Best Buy. Take home the one you like..or do like LJ says...buy both and take back the one you don't like.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Yeah, normally I'd do the opposite of what Best Buy says...The last time I was in there they asked me if I could teach THEM what to look for in a good receiver.
    But in this case you've got two opinions, tough to do the opposite of both.
    I think I'd take the Pioneer 515 over the HTR-5830, the 5830 is a bit smaller unit. I'd probably lean more towards the 815 over the 5840 as well. A few more features.

Suspended
    I will definately get the Pioneer 815 when it goes on sale again at best buy,they want $299.99 for it now.

Forum Regular
    Yeah, the 815 is an improvement over the 814, as it has auto speaker setup. That's the big selling point for my purchase of the 912. Pioneer just impresses me with all the features they can cram inrto their low to mid-range receivers, without sacrificing quality. Dmax, if you look around, you can find the 815 for around $250. We have a Rex (which is nationwide, I think) electronics store which is having a sale on the 815 for about that.

Forum Regular
    One more note. The Best Buy guys usually will instantly say Yamaha over Pioneer, simply because Yamaha is their "high end" receiver. Yamaha does make great receivers, but for the features, you can't beat Pioneer.

Suspended
    I wouldn't automatically choose Yamaha over Pioneer, but after looking at the specs I feel it would be a better choice. Power specs on the Pioneer state 100W/ch 8 ohms, but @ 0.7% THD. The Yamaha has a spec of 85W/ch 8 ohms @ 0.06% THD, but they also provide specs at 6/4/2 ohms (max dynamic power 235W) which indicates a more robust power supply which handles higher currents. I also liked the organization of the back panel on the Yamaha. Everything is aligned providing easier connections. The back panel on the Pioneer has the audio and video connections offset for the same device and has fewer digital inputs. I've also used the remotes for both receivers and find the Yamaha more intuitive. I've owned a Pioneer AV receiver in the past, but overall I feel Yamaha, Denon are better choices for the money.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Defshep
    One more note. The Best Buy guys usually will instantly say Yamaha over Pioneer, simply because Yamaha is their "high end" receiver. Yamaha does make great receivers, but for the features, you can't beat Pioneer.
    I would like to go elslwhere for a new receiver but im getting $ 169.64 store credit from Best Buy for the last receiver that went bad so i'll just wait for the next sale and get my Pioneer 815 with and another extended warranty and I will NEVER shop for a receiver at Best Buy again.

I really don't see why you're panties are in a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmax
    I would like to go elslwhere for a new receiver but im getting $ 169.64 store credit from Best Buy for the last receiver that went bad so i'll just wait for the next sale and get my Pioneer 815 with and another extended warranty and I will NEVER shop for a receiver at Best Buy again.
    You got the extended warranty and they made good on it. What's the problem?

You asked two salesmen about two good receivers and got two different opinions. You see that here daily, don't you? Do you have problems with that too? So, what's the problem?

Neither of the salesmen lied to you so what's the problem? Since neither receiver is a dog, how did they screw you?

The fact that you didn't know what you wanted? Sorry, that's your problem, not theirs. I'm fairly confident that either receiver would have been "adequate" considering what you gave them to go on. Did you tell them what you needed or just ask which is better?

If you states certain needs and then they misled you then perhaps you might have a case but AFAICS, you don't have a beef.

Look, big box stores do have their problems but if you use then to simply supply hardware and software they are fine. In this case neither salesmen lied to you. They simply answered your questions and, when opinions are the name of the game, it pays to have one of your own. Either that, or don't down others for theirs.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bfalls
    I wouldn't automatically choose Yamaha over Pioneer, but after looking at the specs I feel it would be a better choice. Power specs on the Pioneer state 100W/ch 8 ohms, but @ 0.7% THD. The Yamaha has a spec of 85W/ch 8 ohms @ 0.06% THD, but they also provide specs at 6/4/2 ohms (max dynamic power 235W) which indicates a more robust power supply which handles higher currents. I also liked the organization of the back panel on the Yamaha. Everything is aligned providing easier connections. The back panel on the Pioneer has the audio and video connections offset for the same device and has fewer digital inputs. I've also used the remotes for both receivers and find the Yamaha more intuitive. I've owned a Pioneer AV receiver in the past, but overall I feel Yamaha, Denon are better choices for the money.
    OK! here I am, totally confused again.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    You got the extended warranty and they made good on it. What's the problem?

You asked two salesmen about two good receivers and got two different opinions. You see that here daily, don't you? Do you have problems with that too? So, what's the problem?

Neither of the salesmen lied to you so what's the problem? Since neither receiver is a dog, how did they screw you?

The fact that you didn't know what you wanted? Sorry, that's your problem, not theirs. I'm fairly confident that either receiver would have been "adequate" considering what you gave them to go on. Did you tell them what you needed or just ask which is better?

If you states certain needs and then they misled you then perhaps you might have a case but AFAICS, you don't have a beef.

Look, big box stores do have their problems but if you use then to simply supply hardware and software they are fine. In this case neither salesmen lied to you. They simply answered your questions and, when opinions are the name of the game, it pays to have one of your own. Either that, or don't down others for theirs.
    What is your problem and what are you on? Im not the one seeing or having beef with anything or anyone. Go a little lighter on your doses of whatever your taking.

OK! here I am, totally confused again.
    Try not to over think this. They are both good units. Ask yourself this. Did you like your Pioneer? If you say yes, then go get it. Get it today. If your answer is, not really, then go get the Yammie. Don't drive yourself insane. Life is too short, and your missing out on listening right now.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Try not to over think this. They are both good units. Ask yourself this. Did you like your Pioneer? If you say yes, then go get it. Get it today. If your answer is, not really, then go get the Yammie. Don't drive yourself insane. Life is too short, and your missing out on listening right now.
    Thanx! Your absolutely right GMichael and I hope markw is reading this to,hes got some underlying issues, he sees beef flying around.SEEK HELP

Just grow up, crybaby.

Thanx! Your absolutely right GMichael and I hope markw is reading this to,hes got some underlying issues, he sees beef flying around.SEEK HELP
    IT's time to make a decision all by yourself and live by it. That's called being a man.

Suspended
    IT's time to make a decision all by yourself and live by it. That's called being a man.
    Im 16 years old so I have 2 more years to be a man,whats your excuse for your issues?

low on funds high on hope

Stoked

i got the pioneer 815 (which ive had my eye on for a while) for $200 at bb today open box on a return for a upgrade. returned yesterday, bought 3 days ago. 100 bucks off. i got 4 yr ext warrenty plus tax for 250. less than an unauthorized dealer from ebay. I was hoping for a silver one, but couldnt pass this deal up. keep your eyes peeled!!!!! just hooked it up and the auto eq worked pretty well...i have plently of new features to play around with. ill let yall know how i like it and post a review.
    spl or die.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by vxaudio
    i got the pioneer 815 (which ive had my eye on for a while) for $200 at bb today open box on a return for a upgrade. returned yesterday, bought 3 days ago. 100 bucks off. i got 4 yr ext warrenty plus tax for 250. less than an unauthorized dealer from ebay. I was hoping for a silver one, but couldnt pass this deal up. keep your eyes peeled!!!!! just hooked it up and the auto eq worked pretty well...i have plently of new features to play around with. ill let yall know how i like it and post a review.
    My congrats to you( im so darn jealous of you right now).I wish I could find a deal like that but I will have mines within the next couple of weeks, until then keep me posted on how much fun your having with it.Peace

So, you are allowed to be a crybaby? Is that your story?

Im 16 years old so I have 2 more years to be a man,whats your excuse for your issues?
    Nobody knows anyone else's ages unless they are clued into it either by ones actions or their own admissions. In this one thread you've done both.

This is the web. Everybody is treared as equals. Young people can be thought of as adults if they behave in a mature manner. Likewise, adults can be thought of as children is they act like a child.

I've run into some pretty savvy and mature sounding 14 year olds on various audio sites. You're not one of them. Perhaps, if you listen and learn and act like your age can be.

This kvetching about Best Buy is a childish rant. They did NOTHING wrong that you should be complaining about them here. As far as I can see, you got treated pretty durn nicely.

If you wanted opinions on what receiver was "better" all you needed to do is ask. Even then, you still would need to determine which "opinion" you choose to accept.

It looks like you're facing that here. Another opinion goes contrary to what you want to believe. Now, are you gonna start a thread complaining about this site because there is no one "best"?

Again, there was no need to biitch and moan about BB when they did nothing wrong. Unless, of course, you just wanted the attention which, being a petulant child, I could possibly justify.
    Last edited by markw; 11-02-2005 at 06:10 PM.

Suspended
    Nobody knows anyone else's ages unless they are clued into it either by ones actions or their own admissions. In this one thread you've done both.

This is the web. Everybody is treared as equals. Young people can be thought of as adults if they behave in a mature manner. Likewise, adults can be thought of as children is they act like a child.

I've run into some pretty savvy and mature sounding 14 year olds on various audio sites. You're not one of them. Perhaps, if you listen and learn and act like your age can be.

This kvetching about Best Buy is a childish rant. They did NOTHING wrong that you should be complaining about them here. As far as I can see, you got treated pretty durn nicely.

If you wanted opinions on what receiver was "better" all you needed to do is ask. Even then, you still would need to determine which "opinion" you choose to accept.

It looks like you're facing that here. Another opinion goes contrary to what you want to believe. Now, are you gonna start a thread complaining about this site because there is no one "best"?

Again, there was no need to biitch and moan about BB when they did nothing wrong. Unless, of course, you just wanted the attention which, being a petulant child, I could possibly justify.
    Perhaps therapy can help you deal with the many things that seem to disturb you, just a thought.You must really be some kind of great MAN playing tit for tat with a teen.(Being a man) sounds familiar? You sure dont act like one yourself. Practice what you preach .
    Last edited by Dmax; 11-02-2005 at 07:27 PM.

I guess I gave you too mucj credit.

Perhaps therapy can help you deal with the many things that seem to disturb you, just a thought.You must really be some kind of great MAN playing tit for tat with a teen.(Being a man) sounds familiar? You sure dont act like one yourself. Practice what you preach .
    I tend to treat people like adults here until proven otherwise. Many young ones choose to use this forum to interact with adults and grow. Obviously, you choose to remain at your current adolescent level. Your loss. Sorry.
    Last edited by markw; 11-03-2005 at 04:52 AM.

Suspended
    I tend to treat people like adults here until proven otherwise. Many young ones choose to use this forum to interact with adults and grow. Obviously, you choose to remain at your current adolescent level. Your loss. Sorry.
    Maybe when im legally an adult the blah blah you speak may have some type of impact maybe even some logic to it but until then i'll just keep going to school so I wont be just a blah blah ,blah blah blah blah, blah blah, blah .Like yourself.

blah blah blah?

Maybe when im legally an adult the blah blah you speak may have some type of impact maybe even some logic to it but until then i'll just keep going to school so I wont be just a blah blah ,blah blah blah blah, blah blah, blah .Like yourself.
    sorry, some things you don't learn in school. You'll learn this soon enough. ...maybe.

You act like my grandchildren and they are a lot younger than 16.

Suspended
    sorry, some things you don't learn in school. You'll learn this soon enough. ...maybe.

You act like my grandchildren and they are a lot younger than 16.
    OK , here we go again. Blah blah blah, blah blah,blah blah blah,blah.There , are you satisfied and gratified now grandpa? Oh and my Grandfather sounds alot maturer than you also but at least you finally made somewhat of a point regarding grandchildren and grandparents.I 'll act more like the 16 year I am if you act more like the grandpa you are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information