Forum Regular

Playstation2 Remote

I set up my son's playstation2 through our Denon AVR 1082 so we could multi-task with it. (My other DVD is a Sony 200 DVD/CD changer) Has anyone figured out how to program their universal remote (Denon or another brand) to mimic the remote you can buy for the PS2 console?

If you bought the latest version of the PS2 with the IR remote built in (SCPH-50001, look on the box or the back of the console), I've read somewhere that Sony designed it specifically to only work with a first-party Sony remote. I guess if you really want to try it, program your non-Sony remote with the correct code.

If you have one of the older PS2 consoles, you need to buy the official PS2 remote and install the latest drivers to a memory card in order to control it.

Forum Regular

Well..

When you buy the Ps2 remote I believe it also includes a IR Sensor that you have to plug into one of the controller sockets. Therefore, there's no programming a universal remote to operate it because it has no IR Sensor to pick up the signals. I think you might be out of luck here, maybe you'll just have to buy the remote.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyguy
    I set up my son's playstation2 through our Denon AVR 1082 so we could multi-task with it. (My other DVD is a Sony 200 DVD/CD changer) Has anyone figured out how to program their universal remote (Denon or another brand) to mimic the remote you can buy for the PS2 console?
    I would think that if you have a learning remote, you could just have that mimic the PS2 remote. Of course that would entail buying the PS2 remote and sampling its IR transmissions, which seems to be what you're trying to avoid.

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys. I checked the model # and it appears that we don't have the IR sensor. I had seen the remote for the newer models in the store, and was just wondering if I could get our universal remote to work. Looks like I need to by one with the plug in sensor and software, and teach our remote. Thanks for the help.

Thread Information