AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Got $1000 and need a reciver

Subject is about it got $1000 and need a reciver.

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy
    You didn't say how many channels you are looking for. Lots of good choices in that range for HT. I like my Yamaha RX-V2400. YPAO [Yamaha Parametric Acoustic Optimizer] is the feature that tipped the scales for me and it offers DPLIIx if that is a concern for you. Yamaha has a reputation for being very reliable and I like the way my speakers sound with it. Happy hunting.

Here's a link:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/R...R/RX-V2400.htm
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Forum Regular
    You can get a lot of receiver for a thousand dollars.I like Tinhere's suggestion.Can't go wrong.

Forum Regular

Vote #3 for the RXV2400

Can't touch it IMHO.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

what Tinhere said

I also vote on the Yamaha

-Joey

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi

One of the more interesting features is the Super Audio CD (SACD) Direct Mode. The receiver has 7 built in 192k/24DAC's so your ready for real 7 channel HiFi.

It also has 7 channel EQ, that you set with a mic that's included.

I'd by one now, but I bought a VSX-53TX a couple years ago.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    The Yamaha is an excellent receiver. But I would suggest to you to save 100 bucks and get the RX-V1400. I seriously doubt you will notice or need the small amount of extra power in the RX-V2400, if you are in dire need of that much wattage, you wouldn't imply a 1000 limit. 10 more watts per channel for an extra 100 bucks doesn't add enough value. Put that extra money towards something else: new cables, speaker upgrade, whatever.
    Don't hesitate to test a few other models too. Denon, Onkyo, and Harmon Kardon also make excellent receivers in your price range.
    Of course, if you're like me and just can't resist, don't feel bad about getting the 2400.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    The Yamaha is an excellent receiver. But I would suggest to you to save 100 bucks and get the RX-V1400. I seriously doubt you will notice or need the small amount of extra power in the RX-V2400, if you are in dire need of that much wattage, you wouldn't imply a 1000 limit. 10 more watts per channel for an extra 100 bucks doesn't add enough value. Put that extra money towards something else: new cables, speaker upgrade, whatever.
    Don't hesitate to test a few other models too. Denon, Onkyo, and Harmon Kardon also make excellent receivers in your price range.
    Of course, if you're like me and just can't resist, don't feel bad about getting the 2400.
    The 2400 also has the RSC232 conection that with the "editor" allows convergence with a computer to change and store different settings. BTW the HTR series doesn't have YPAO. The 1400 is probably the better buy unless you'll use that feature. I've really gotta try it.
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Forum Regular

Plus the macro remote

I like that remote. That and the 232 would clinch it for me.

I just wish I was in the market.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Forum Regular

Smile Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX

I just picked up a Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX for $500. It satisfies every craving I could possibly imagine for any situation in Home Theater and Hi Definition Audio applications. Very Clean power on all the Elite receivers, you simply can't go wrong.
    The yamaha 1400 and 2400 also rock, but I went with the 43TX and spent the other funds upgrading my A/V cables and wiring. Swithching from crap RCA to Monster THX cables made a huge difference, and I mean huge. Good Luck, and I think if you get any receiver in the $1000 range, you won't be disappointed. I mean, c'mon, for $1000 I would hope any manufacturer would offer a great receiver.
    Last edited by MrPorterhouse; 12-15-2003 at 06:17 AM.

Forum Regular
    The Denon AVR3802 goes for $698 and the AVR3803 goes for $999. You also have the Marantz SR7400 for $900 or the Onkyo TX-NR900 for $1,020. The afformentioned Yamaha is a great deal or, if you have either a five or seven channel amp laying around you may consider going with the Outlaw 950 for $856 (next day shipping - $831 if you want it through ground).

Quote Originally Posted by spacedeckman
    I like that remote. That and the 232 would clinch it for me.

I just wish I was in the market.
    Ive looked around what exactlly does a rs-232 port do for me???? looks alot like a comm port to me.

Forum Regular
    Receiver set-up/config from computer, software upgrades, whole house control (Crestron/AMX), tuner access for MusicCast system.

Is that enough?
    Space

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoy
    Does that mean that you insist on spending all $1000 of it on a receiver? If so, my guess is that you're wasting a lot of money. I'm never seen any reason to go over $500.

Or have you already bought your receiver? If so, what did you end up with.

Merry Xmas,
    Norm Strong [normanstrong@comcast.net]

Forum Regular

$500, too bad Norm, the fun starts about $800

For those of us who think that better amplifiers are better. I don't think I would be happy for less than that.

To each their own. You are entitled to insist that anyone who spends more than $500 isn't smart, just as much as I am to think that's where the fun begins. And I'm about as cheap as they come.
    Space

Forum Regular

Denon 3803

Had the Denon 3803 for about 6 months. LOVE IT and would recogmend to anyone.
    Mains: B+W 703 in cherry
    Surrounds: B+W HTM7
    Center: B+W DS7
    Sub: Def Tech Pro 80 On HFE through center channel
    Sub: DefTech 12" in back of room
    Reciever: Denon 3803
    Amp : B+K Reference 200.2
    CD: Denon DCM 370
    DVD: Denon DVD1600
    TV: Toshiba 32 inch Cinema Series FST Pure Flat
    Cables: Audioquest CV-6's, CV-4's, Diamondbacks
    Rack: BDI
    Power: Brickwall

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Strong
    Does that mean that you insist on spending all $1000 of it on a receiver? If so, my guess is that you're wasting a lot of money. I'm never seen any reason to go over $500.
    Well Norm if you want room correction(BTW has the most to do with how these units sound) DL2x , and auto set up 650$ RXV 1400 is the way to go..Otherwise I agree...

Forum Regular
    Put $750 of it away, and buy a Panasonic HE100.

Forum Regular

You know Norm, once upon a time

years ago, I went to a Bose demo in a retail store just to see what they were saying at that time. This was before the days of the AM10, so they had the "Ultimate HT System", which was an AM5 and AM7 set. They were playing "Dances With Wolves" (which should date this), the cut with the big horse chase. The demo was awful, all high pitched hoof clatter and the bass module making all kinds of funny noises with no presence...NOTHING between the two. Somehow, the guy doing the presentation picked me to comment. I tried to pass it off, but, he kept at me, asking if I had ever heard anything better. I said "yes". Of course he asks what, and I answer with a Fosgate Audionics (Harman division at that time) new THX package I had heard a couple of days earlier. He choked a bit, then remembered his canned response he was supposed to give: "I'll bet that was expensive". "Yeah, about $15k", I responded. Then he told me "A smart man would buy the Bose and put the money in the bank", "would you pay that?", he asked.
    I commented "no", to which he got an evil little smile on his face thinking he won, then I added, "But my wife is the movie person and she would slap the checkbook in my hand so fast the cover would buzz to get that system...I'm not much of a movie guy". His face sunk. After he was done, he offered me a free set of brackets if I would buy today. Reminding me that my wife would probably like jewelry better and that I could save a bundle with the Bose package. Even if I didn't like the sound, the free brackets would make the deal worthwhile was his attitude. But I think he was a bit brainwashed and was just trying to sell me something.

Thanks Norm, you just gave me a "flashback chuckle". Yeah, okay, the Panasonic sucks, but you could spend the next decade with a crappy receiver and put $750 in the bank which your wife will promptly spend on shoes and other "fine leather goods" that she will wear a couple times then sell at a garage sale 3 years later for $5, and tell you how good she did at here sale.

Norm, we all spend money on what makes us happy. Granted, that $750 is a considerable sum of money, but taken over a 10-15 year lifespan of a product, it really isn't. I wouldn't buy one of those Panasonics, and I don't think you would either, you've gotta be smarter than that. It is so incredibly functionally limited, that someone who really enjoys HT and has anything over a bare bones system would be shortchanging themselves. He will touch and use his system nearly every day for the next decade and a half, doesn't it make more sense to buy something you enjoy and that does what you want, vs the cheapest piece of crap on the market? He's not spending money on drugs, alcohol, hookers, gambling, fattening food, expensive wine, jewelry that is worth 10 cents on the dollar once you've taken possession, a vacation home, a new car (taxes alone could double that $750 easily), or other detrimental sort of thing. Spending $1k on a receiver is a perfectly good, perfectly logical, and perfectly perfect way to make your life better. It's the little things in life that make it that way. Now let the man spend HIS money as HE sees fit, and QUIT trying to tell him that he is STUPID for not buying a PIECE OF CRAP.

Sorry for the yelling, but, it sometimes can't be helped.
    Space

Go Onkyo

I bought an Onkyo TXSR801 last yeay and have been very pleased. Several people recommend Yamaha and I will admit that the reciever has good sound/features. However, you can only by Yamaha and Denon at an authorized local dealer (jacked up prices). You can by Onkyo from online authorized dealers (onecall.com) for 25% off list price. I could not find a Yamaha dealer that would bargain that much.

Forum Regular

A little dubious about 10-15 year life....

Quote Originally Posted by spacedeckman
    years ago, I went to a Bose demo in a retail store just to see what they were saying at that time. This was before the days of the AM10, so they had the "Ultimate HT System", which was an AM5 and AM7 set. They were playing "Dances With Wolves" (which should date this), the cut with the big horse chase. The demo was awful, all high pitched hoof clatter and the bass module making all kinds of funny noises with no presence...NOTHING between the two. Somehow, the guy doing the presentation picked me to comment. I tried to pass it off, but, he kept at me, asking if I had ever heard anything better. I said "yes". Of course he asks what, and I answer with a Fosgate Audionics (Harman division at that time) new THX package I had heard a couple of days earlier. He choked a bit, then remembered his canned response he was supposed to give: "I'll bet that was expensive". "Yeah, about $15k", I responded. Then he told me "A smart man would buy the Bose and put the money in the bank", "would you pay that?", he asked.
    I commented "no", to which he got an evil little smile on his face thinking he won, then I added, "But my wife is the movie person and she would slap the checkbook in my hand so fast the cover would buzz to get that system...I'm not much of a movie guy". His face sunk. After he was done, he offered me a free set of brackets if I would buy today. Reminding me that my wife would probably like jewelry better and that I could save a bundle with the Bose package. Even if I didn't like the sound, the free brackets would make the deal worthwhile was his attitude. But I think he was a bit brainwashed and was just trying to sell me something.

Thanks Norm, you just gave me a "flashback chuckle". Yeah, okay, the Panasonic sucks, but you could spend the next decade with a crappy receiver and put $750 in the bank which your wife will promptly spend on shoes and other "fine leather goods" that she will wear a couple times then sell at a garage sale 3 years later for $5, and tell you how good she did at here sale.

Norm, we all spend money on what makes us happy. Granted, that $750 is a considerable sum of money, but taken over a 10-15 year lifespan of a product, it really isn't. I wouldn't buy one of those Panasonics, and I don't think you would either, you've gotta be smarter than that. It is so incredibly functionally limited, that someone who really enjoys HT and has anything over a bare bones system would be shortchanging themselves. He will touch and use his system nearly every day for the next decade and a half, doesn't it make more sense to buy something you enjoy and that does what you want, vs the cheapest piece of crap on the market? He's not spending money on drugs, alcohol, hookers, gambling, fattening food, expensive wine, jewelry that is worth 10 cents on the dollar once you've taken possession, a vacation home, a new car (taxes alone could double that $750 easily), or other detrimental sort of thing. Spending $1k on a receiver is a perfectly good, perfectly logical, and perfectly perfect way to make your life better. It's the little things in life that make it that way. Now let the man spend HIS money as HE sees fit, and QUIT trying to tell him that he is STUPID for not buying a PIECE OF CRAP.

Sorry for the yelling, but, it sometimes can't be helped.

If the people on this forum really kept their stuff 10-15 years, only one in 5 would have dolby digital, dts or even digital inputs and output with which to use a dvd player....Im not arguing Norm's point since he obviously still has his communion dollar, but most prudent people change gear when there is a quantum improvement or new technology that makes the change attractive. Hence, there is a middle ground between you and Norm.

Forum Regular

debbi, debbi, debbi

Things have gotten better. Now the fun starts at $800, it used to be $1000.

Two things separate me and Norm. First off, Norm thinks that audio is a commodity and one piece is as good as another. From my experience that is just not so. I cannot recommend products that are highly compromised in the areas of performance, flexibility, and reliability. Norm doesn't view pieces like the Panasonic he has recommended here as being compromised. Most $300 receivers have serious compromises, but I would prefer the compromises be in features and absolute performance, not reliability, poor sound, or poor video switching performance (common in budget receivers). That Panasonic sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard. Nasty.

That said, number two is that Norm thinks that spending over $500 on a receiver is stupid, hence the "put the money in the bank" story that I retold in the story. The story had nothing to do with the decade or more ago that it happened, but the fact that the Bose presenter was trying so hard to get me to buy a system that I felt was far too compromised for my tastes, but I would be SOOO smart to compromise my judgement, taste, and sense of value, just to put money in the bank. Hate my system, like my account balance? I'm in this for the enjoyment.

I do not put down someone who can only spend $300-400 on a receiver, I try to help them find the best choice for them, through my experience. If they can do more, I explain why doing more may be better. I also believe that as price goes up, so should performance and flexibility. When you look at a receiver for $800 like the new Yamaha 1400 that will optimize your room with whatever speakers you have, parametrically equalizing them, setting crossover points, distance, level, ...essentially stuff that most people do wrong if they don't have some background, then also upconvert video to component to keep you from having to do all the input switching on the TV, making it more family friendly, PLUS having a better amplifier, and remote control.

I see added value, Norm sees wasted money. My contention is that it isn't my money that is being spent, and the end user should be able to make an educated decision on how to spend it to his or her satisfaction. I would spend the extra money, and I imagine there are others who would too. They aren't stupid for doing so, and to suggest that they would be smarter not to buy something that makes them happier with their own hard earned money just doesn't sit right with me. How much my turntable/cartridge costs isn't Norm's or anyone elses business on this site. It is my business, and the fact that I would spend it all over again in an instant, means that I made the right choice for me. It's that whole "big brother" thing that annoys me. Funny, because Norm is probably a really nice guy once you get past that annoying trait. Keep in mind I only disagree with Norm, I don't dislike him. He appears to have a pretty good sense of humor, and I can respect that.
    Space

Forum Regular
    I just got the Denon 3803 after initially considering the 2803. I sells for about $1000, but I got an open box return at Good Guys for $799. Do your research and shop around. You can get some nice detailed reviews on this site for this model, so I won't go into too much detail. The Burr-Brown DAC's and Component Video Switching are well worth the upgrade in price alone, even at full retail. Make sure you go out and listen to several receivers with different speaker combinations as well as listening to both music and movies. I'm really happy with the Denon 3803.

Forum Regular
    You seem to be obsessed with me. I'll tell you what. You give Mr. Killjoy your advice and I'll give him mine. Let's let him make the final decision.

Thread Information