Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Suspended

The "Official" RX-V3800 Issues & Observations thread

Hopefully this thread won't run into the 10's of thousands of posts like the ones on the AVS forums generally do. Too much info!

I moved the sofa and loveseat into the living room the other night so except for more acoustic panels to come, new drapes, and pictures and stuff like that on the walls it's now pretty close to the final layout. This obviously means that I'll be running the room EQ again, that's why I mentioned this.

The meat of the subject...

I have my DVD changer's Component Out connected to the receiver's Component In, and the DVR's HDMI out connected to HDMI In 1 at the receiver. It's HDMI Out is connected to HDMI In 1 at the TV. The DVD's Coax Audio Out is connected to Coax In DVD at the receiver.

The first problem I had, then solved was that I wasn't getting video out from the DVD while trying to watch Pink Floyd's Pulse concert. Audio was there (sort of but I'll get to that later), and after a lot of guessing, which included routing and rerouting of the video feed through the receiver but still getting no where, I decided to check the DVD connections. The green plug was pulled out at the receiver end. The cable I'm using isn't the greatest from a quality standpoint, but it's the right length. I have an Acoustic Research cable but it's too long (10' I think). The benefit of this exercise was that I learned some things by trial-and-error about how the HDMI switching works from the setup menu screens. An issue exists though at the TV, where even though I have the PVR & DVD connected and output over one HDMI into the TV, the on-screen information shows DVR only. I guess the only thing to do in this case is to re-label that input to something generic like HDMI.

So while watching the concert it seemed as though the picture's color was washed out. I wasn't real happy with the PQ. Even the DVD wallpaper that's up when there's no disk inserted but the unit is powered on looked bad. Different shades of blue over the entire screen and text characters, even though they were formed correctly, weren't sharp, so I can't blame the DVD itself. I made adjustments at both the DVD player and the receiver, including changing the DVD output to 480i then back to 480p, and changing the receiver's output to 1080p (which was verified by checking the Info at the TV), but nothing changed. I'm going to reconnect the DVD directly to the TV and try again as well as trying a more up-to-date (from a PQ standpoint) DVD movie and check the results.

Audio output wasn't any better. Imaging was pretty much non-existent, and even when I manually cranked up the center channel's volume to about twice that of the front left & right, I could barely make out the vocals. I went into the YPAO's results screen and noticed some glaring inaccuracies. The speaker distance numbers were way off, showing front left, center and right as 1', one rear speaker at 1' and the other one at 8'. Volume at all but the subwoofer was set to 0, and all speaker sizes were set to large. Yes, I WILL run it again ASAP. Room acoustics have changed so all the more reason...

Life gets more and more complicated every day, but in this case it's a fun problem to have... right?

so the upconverting from component to HDMI is crap? is that what you're saying?

Suspended
    I don't think that's what I'm saying.

Actually what I think I'll do instead of reconnecting the DVD's Component Out directly to the TV, I'll connect the Component Monitor Out from the receiver to the TV. It'll take upscaling out of the equation but still keep some video processing occuring at the receiver.

Why not go directly to your display?

Suspended
    Well, I wanted to be able to take advantage of the upscaler. 480i converted to 1080p is a good thing isn't it?

Or are you talking about my experiment?

Didn't you say you were having issues running the video through your Yammie?

Suspended
    Yes. Into the yammie via component and out via HDMI...

Are you just messin' with me or do I need to edit my opening post?

Suspended
    I did all of the usual cable troubleshooting and then just went right to the TV from the DVD player. I put Batman in, watched it for a while then reconnected the cable as it was before and the picture was the same. Actually I really don't think there's anything wrong or deficient with the PQ but instead it may be another case of unjust expectations on my part. I was able to go through all of the receivers resolutions from 480p to 1080p and verify it with the TV's info stats so I think I'll leave well enough alone. The component cable I mentioned doesn't have a firm connection so I may replace it or plug in the 10' AR cable.

I think I'm catching the Blu-ray Blues...

Hdmi ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I don't think that's what I'm saying.

Actually what I think I'll do instead of reconnecting the DVD's Component Out directly to the TV, I'll connect the Component Monitor Out from the receiver to the TV. It'll take upscaling out of the equation but still keep some video processing occuring at the receiver.
    Hey Rich, I've read many of your posts. I'm new in HDMI, switching, upscaling, etc. I know that component cables can hold up to 1080i HD video. I would think that your new 3800 would upscale to 1080i thru component out or does it only upscale to HDMI output? I guess what I'm wondering/saying is maybe upscaling is not out of the equation. I'm very interested in your posts on this stuff. HDMI is great when it is working. I have HDMI out on my cable DVR but it won't work when connected to my 92TXH receiver. I had to go component out to component in on my receiver. Works fine and is 1080i. Irritating that HDMI doesn't work all the time.
    My PS3 is connected to HDMI in on my 92TXH and it seems to do pretty well outing the video to my TV and audio to my speakers except that about 35% of the time when I want to use the PS3 for games or BD it says "NOT SUPPORTED" on my receiver's display (signal does'nt pass or something) you can even here it switch signal off. I then have to turn receiver off then on and everything is fine. What is that all about hmmmm?

I auditioned the 91 and ran into HDMI issues as well. Complete drops in picture in sound for a sec or two and then it would pop back on.

There should be no issues. If set to bitstream, your Elite would get a standard DD or DTS signal while playing BR. If set to PCM, then your Elite would just be getting a MC PCM signal via HDMI and should be able to handle that as well.

I did all of the usual cable troubleshooting and then just went right to the TV from the DVD player. I put Batman in, watched it for a while then reconnected the cable as it was before and the picture was the same. Actually I really don't think there's anything wrong or deficient with the PQ but instead it may be another case of unjust expectations on my part. I was able to go through all of the receivers resolutions from 480p to 1080p and verify it with the TV's info stats so I think I'll leave well enough alone. The component cable I mentioned doesn't have a firm connection so I may replace it or plug in the 10' AR cable.

I think I'm catching the Blu-ray Blues...
    So your saying the scaling to 1080p didn't produce any miracles

But I thought it should be near HD

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    NO!!!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by captjamo
    Hey Rich, I've read many of your posts. I'm new in HDMI, switching, upscaling, etc. I know that component cables can hold up to 1080i HD video. I would think that your new 3800 would upscale to 1080i thru component out or does it only upscale to HDMI output?
    I don't think so. Component video signals at 480i are converted into S-Video or Composite and output at the S-Video Monitor Out & Composite Monitor out. Also, my receiver doesn't upscale Component video @ 720p or 1080i resolution. I also read indications that Component can handle 1080p resolution.

That's the best answer I can give you right now Captjamo. I should have checked that while I had component monitor out connected to my TV but I didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by captjamo
    I guess what I'm wondering/saying is maybe upscaling is not out of the equation. I'm very interested in your posts on this stuff. HDMI is great when it is working. I have HDMI out on my cable DVR but it won't work when connected to my 92TXH receiver. I had to go component out to component in on my receiver. Works fine and is 1080i. Irritating that HDMI doesn't work all the time.
    I also have my FIOS DVR connected via HDMI In & Out, but I have no problems there. It doesn't convert the 1080i input to 1080p output which would concur with the Component characteristics mentioned above, and it does take a second or two to train up, but I blame that on the HDMI design mess (think corporate greed here).
    Quote Originally Posted by Captjamo
    My PS3 is connected to HDMI in on my 92TXH and it seems to do pretty well outing the video to my TV and audio to my speakers except that about 35% of the time when I want to use the PS3 for games or BD it says "NOT SUPPORTED" on my receiver's display (signal does'nt pass or something) you can even here it switch signal off. I then have to turn receiver off then on and everything is fine. What is that all about hmmmm?
    Sorry, no PS3 here and no plans to own one. My video games look awesome here on my desktop PC.

Sorry, no PS3 here and no plans to own one. My video games look awesome here on my desktop PC.
    But are they on a big screen with audio going through your main system?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

ok so nothing really wrong then, that's a plus
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

NO!!!
    Well there is no law that says you have to use the PS3 for gaming. It's a great player.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Well there is no law that says you have to use the PS3 for gaming. It's a great player.
    true enough, i've had mine since launch and i've used it to play 3 games (no lie), but i use it all the time for DVDs and BRs
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    But are they on a big screen with audio going through your main system?
    If my computer was on wheels, I could wheel it right out to the TV and connect via DVI and run coax to an in at the receiver.

I've got a 22" widescreen and a 5.1 surround speaker set which suits me just fine. Besides, I'm pretty much all thumbs... oh... wait a minute, that's a big plus on console systems.

Never mind!

If my computer was on wheels, I could wheel it right out to the TV and connect via DVI and run coax to an in at the receiver.

I've got a 22" widescreen and a 5.1 surround speaker set which suits me just fine. Besides, I'm pretty much all thumbs... oh... wait a minute, that's a big plus on console systems.

Never mind!
    My PS3 has a wireless connection. I could play PC games through it. But wouldn't that be a form of blasphemy?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    I could buy a wireless keyboard and play games at the kitchen table.

I could buy a wireless keyboard and play games at the kitchen table.
    I like surfing & playing from my recliner. Blu-tooth is great.

Suspended
    If I had a big mirror I could put it up on the wall in the living room and blast away at Doom3 goons while in the bathroom taking a...

If I had a big mirror I could put it up on the wall in the living room and blast away at Doom3 goons while in the bathroom taking a...
    Wouldn't you need two mirrors? Or can you switch to pulling left to go right while grunting?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GM
    Wouldn't you need two mirrors? Or can you switch to pulling left to go right while grunting?
    I don't use a joystick.

My hand-eye coordination is impecable even in reverse, and my brain-sphincter muscle communication knows no distraction!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information